Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 
Default Ned Kelly Found

Growing up I was fascinated with the Ned Kelly story and I find it amazing that after 130yrs, with the help of modern technologies, they have identified his body. But where is his head? I have been trying to follow this story and really do not understand how or when it went missing? I hope it is found and not put on public display but buried along with his remains.

Full Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninemsn
Remains found at a former Melbourne prison have been confirmed as those of notorious bushranger Ned Kelly.

A DNA sample taken from Melbourne school teacher Leigh Olver, Ned's sister Ellen's great grandson, confirmed the bones were those of the famous outlaw.

Doctors and scientists at the Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine (VIFM) identified the body.

Kelly's remains have long been rumoured to be at Melbourne's Pentridge Prison, which operated between 1850 and 1997.

The project involved collaboration with the ancient DNA laboratory EAAF in Argentina, which has worked with the VIFM on other forensic projects.

The investigation started when a skull believed to belong to Kelly was handed to the VIFM on November 11, 2009.

The skull had been taken from the Old Melbourne Gaol in December 1978 where it had been on display next to the death mask of the bushranger.

While the skull was being investigated, the team tried to identify Kelly from among the remains exhumed from Pentridge in 2009.
He evaded the authorities throughout his lifetime and even after he was hanged, he was still causing them issues.

American's can keep their Where's Wally, I think Ned Kelly takes out the title of hide and seek champion of Australia