Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 
Default Dangerous Dogs in Victoria

In Victoria it is now going to be illegal to keep what is known as a "Dangerous dog" unless it is registered with the local council.

Full Story Here:

As the story reads, it is only for unregistered Pit bull terriors, the charge against owners will be similar to that of dangerous driving or culpable driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald Sun
THE owners of dangerous dogs that attack people could face jail terms similar to culpable driving, which carries a maximum penalty of 20 years.
Agriculture Minister Peter Walsh said legislation to jail the owners of dangerous dogs who attack people were being finalised by the Attorney General and would be presented to Parliament in a fortnight

"We will come back to Parliament in two weeks with amendments to the crimes act, where owners of restricted type breed dogs and dangerous dogs will be held accountable for the actions of their dog," he said.

"So if that dog commits an offence where it injures, or in the worst case actually kills someone, they'll have a charge against them similar to charges of dangerous driving or culpable driving."
I know it is very sad when a dog attacks someone and causes serious injury or death, but is it the dogs fault or the owners?

My concern with this new act is that ANY dog breed will now come under scrutiny....dangerous or not. And what if someone does get bitten, and the wrong dog is selected and destroyed by council?

I am very much a dog lover and something does need to be done about the spate of attacks but is this a step too far or not far enough?

Please keep to the topic at hand as I am interested in people's opinions on this subject.

Cheers
Col