Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
Swedishmoose

Default What should I do first ?

Hi there,

I've got a 2000 AU Falcon Futura 4 speed auto and I've noticed today that when I accelerate harder, the car starts to stutter ( not a lot put slightly ) and doesn't pick up speed smoothly anymore. It becomes very obvious when I go above 2800 or 3000 rpm.

140000 km are on the clock and I bought it 2008 with 125000k's.

First thought ( of course ) was spark plug , ignition leads or even the coil pack because I don't know when those things have been replaced by the previous owner.
I've also noticed a difference when I park the car in neutral or park and rev the engine a bit , it stutters the first moment and then it is ok. But everytime you pound the foot into the carpet , it struggles and stutters and then it goes all normal again.
If you want to take of from the traffic lights a bit quicker , you can also feel in the very first moment of acceleration a struggle and like a misfire ( when the engine is under load ) and then it is ok for a blink of an eye and when I reach the 3000 rpm mark it struggles again slightly.

But my second thought was if it also could be the fuel injection or even something else more expensive ?

I tried to find similar posts here, but my computer was freaking out and didn't spit out any search results.

I hope you can help me out here and if you think it is a safe bet on the ignition system, I'd like to know how much a coil pack is ( roughly ).

Ignition leds are about 80 bucks and spark plugs about 30 .

Thank you guys for any ideas and help

The Moose

Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post