Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-09-2006, 12:40 AM   #1
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Driving light switch

When I get back from Canberra/Jenolan Caves (next week) I plan to fit my Brumby front bar.

As the bar comes with driving lights I'm interested to know if there is a "factory" or dealer solution to a driving light switch on an S3 F/Ghia?

I can't see a blank anywhere and I'm loathe to drill a hole and install a tacky mismatched toggle switch.

Anyone got a clue?

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 12:46 AM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I put mine on the right side of the steering column where there's a blank ... mind you I don't have a boot/fuel release button.

My driving light switch is mounted under the fuse box next to the bonnet release ... there's a tiny flat panel under the dash on the right side ... but is a pain to get to if needing to switch it on and off all of the time ... that's why it's good for my driving lights as I leave them for when i hit the high beams ... so the switch is in the ON position all of the time.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 01:33 AM   #3
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Mine are the same as Mechan1k's / i wired to come on with the factory switch , allthough i have an extra swith inside the fuse compartment to switch them off totally if need be ( incase of a blown globe etc etc )

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 01:47 AM   #4
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine are on my dash.. Cop style ;)
Old 13-09-2006, 01:52 AM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Wonder if you could mount a nice switch on top of your steering column ... would be a different place to mount it.

If i mounted my foglight switch there it'd annoy me though as mine lights up bright orange ... thank goodness it's hiding behind the steering wheel on the right hand side ... otherwise I'd get the 5h1ts with it.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 09:47 AM   #6
HLC
Audi S3

just wire them in to your standard lights, and chuck an extra switch in the fuse box, so if the boys in blue catch you using them unneccesarily, you can turn them off and avoid the $75 dollar fine. well thats what it is here....

anyway post pics when you are done. i quite like the brumby bar.
Old 13-09-2006, 10:12 AM   #7
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Heres mine, but its for a low series dash...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 12:54 PM   #8
T3man
Banned

Mount a rocker switch in the fuse box cover. It is easy to use and if in the future you need to ever replace the cover to hide the fact that it was ever there the covers are cheap as chips from any wrecker.

HLC> Your comment about the "boys in blue" is superflous - there is no such offence nor fine for "using driving lights unnecessarily". Driving lights are required by law to be wired through your high beams so they are switched off whenever you dip your lights. There is no legal requirement to have a separate switch for driving lights. Maybe you are confused with fog lights - which by law DO require a separate switch, and also, must only be used in conditions of restricted visibility.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 07:22 PM   #9
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Mount a rocker switch in the fuse box cover.
Looks like that will be the answer.

There's also a blank panel on the left of the steering column, but I think that the fuse box lid gets the nod for post-lights ease of replacement.

Thanks to all for the ideas...
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 07:16 PM   #10
Burley
CRE.87V

i put a fat short switch down fron my steering column...on the edge on the lower panel....doesnt look crap either...trued to mount on coloumn shroud but couldnt sit in there so bought new shroud....
Burley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 07:23 PM   #11
Phil
......Ford........

The spottie/driving lights on my TE dont have a switch, they come on with the high beams.
FG 315 Pursuit ute....#20
"Green is Nice"
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post