Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Question Has the I6 got anything left?

Reading about the coming Direct Injection update for the Commodore (3.0L at first, who knows for the 3.6) of course made me think about the Falcon's trusty I6. If the Commodore gets a DI 3.6 litre V6 then the I6 will be out-powered (but not out-grunted) for the first time in years. Probably bring fuel economy improvements with it as well.

So where does that leave the I6? Not really knowing what Ford's long-term plan is for the engine (for argument's sake, let's just say it will be around until 2013) it could be anything, but I would imagine that any sort of investment in the engine of the level required to bring DI to the I6 would be out of the question I would have thought. It's an 'orphan' engine don't forget and Ford is strapped for cash.

I would have thought that the I6 in it's current guise would pretty much be at it's power ceiling (I'm talking about the n/a version here). But there could be some fuel efficiency improvements still to come. Electric waterpump and power steering? Engine block pre-heaters to cut down the warmup times? Cylinder deactivation (which it already has but as an overheating failsafe)? Stop-idle function?

Would Ford even bother trying to compete? The engine may be down on power compared to the 3.6 DI but still would have more torque. And then of course, there is the turbo motor for performance and premium applications. But being green is the thing these days and if they don't compete at least on a fuel consumption level, they'll get left behind.

Discuss.

Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
ltd
Force Fed Fords

No, with DI ford will have an even greater amount of power and better fuel economy. Look for a power output of about 220-225kw and fuel use down to about 8l/100klm on the combined cycle. There's still heaps of innovations available and from what I've heard, most of them will be used once the Euro4 emmissions standards come in 2010.
Things like piston design, tolerances, compression ration, dual spark, lower idle rpm, more knock sensors etc etc can add to fuel efficiency and increase power.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

You'd assume Ford has DI on the cards if the engine still has a future?

Tis unfortunate that power numbers sell, torque is still too technical for Joe Q Public to wrap their minds around.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I thought ford was dumping the I6 in favour of a V6... And this was meant to be happening in the next couple of years?!

Edit - Article here...

Seems like holden are only going DI because ford where going to beat them to it anyway...

Last edited by futura97; 08-06-2009 at 12:42 PM.
futura97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

The I6 as it is now would still out-torque the DI 3.6L V6. Come 2010 the standard I6 available in the base model Falcon will still be favoured as the best 6 cylinder on the market: in this range, of course.

There is one thing you cannot take away from the Alloytec, no matter what you throw at it; coarseness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura97
I thought ford was dumping the I6 in favour of a V6... And this was meant to be happening in the next couple of years?!

Edit - Article here...

Seems like holden are only going DI because ford where going to beat them to it anyway...
No, I6 will stay on. That's a very old article.

Last edited by Falc'man; 08-06-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

learn something every day Have you got a link to an article about the changes they are making to the I6?
futura97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden are releasing a 3L DI/6 speed auto later this year, fuel economy is reported to be in the 9.5/100 range so i'd say 8/100 for a 4.0/6 speed auto Falc is a bit optimistic

futura, they reversed that decision and the I6 stays. Not sure what thay says about the unique Falcon but it wouldn't be surprised if it's a sign of the demise of the Aussie Falc.

Not sure Holden are going DI due to Ford, that V6 is GM's world donk so the decision would have been more to do with whats needed worldwide in the battered GM bunker.

As for the I6, DI and cylinder deactivation are the obvious next step as already mentioned.
IIRC the reversal decision was based on the Aus govt. throwing some money Fords way which will be used for the I6's upcoming Euro 4 compliance so i'm thinking a few software tweaks + peripheral components such as exhaust/cat con's and thats about it.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Reading about the coming Direct Injection update for the Commodore (3.0L at first, who knows for the 3.6) of course made me think about the Falcon's trusty I6. If the Commodore gets a DI 3.6 litre V6 then the I6 will be out-powered (but not out-grunted) for the first time in years. Probably bring fuel economy improvements with it as well.
When the Alloytech came in 2004 it had 190kw, and the Barra had 182kw. When the Barra jumped to 190kw, the Alloytech had 195kw.
Now they are on equal footing with the 195kw FG.

So your comment on the Falcon being out powered for the first time in years isnt exactly accurate.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura97
learn something every day Have you got a link to an article about the changes they are making to the I6?
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11241338
Old 08-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Given the cost involved with developing DI for the I6, I can't see it happening. Would be good, but...not tonight, Josephine.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #11
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Given the cost involved with developing DI for the I6, I can't see it happening. Would be good, but...not tonight, Josephine.
Mate, it is happening. The I6 can't make Euro4 without it. Further, the I6 plant is going beyond the previous 2010 close down.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #12
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Mate, it is happening. The I6 can't make Euro4 without it. Further, the I6 plant is going beyond the previous 2010 close down.
lol, all the I6 will be getting to pass Euro 4 is a revised catalyser and ECU calibration. It's not much. The Euro 4 changes were already drawn up when the decision was made to switch to the V6.

Don't forget, Euro 4 is all about tailpipe emissions. Fuel economy is a market driven thing.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #13
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

"GoAuto understands the upgrade will focus on injection, calibration and exhaust, and company sources have confirmed the work will not involve moving to a direct injection system."

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257507000C2D46
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #14
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
No DI for the forseeable future unfortunately.

It's all about calibration, electronics and the exhaust system next year...
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #15
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

could explain why Ford are looking at Liquid Injected LPG in the interim?

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...&highlight=LPG
Old 08-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #16
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
When the Alloytech came in 2004 it had 190kw, and the Barra had 182kw. When the Barra jumped to 190kw, the Alloytech had 195kw.
Now they are on equal footing with the 195kw FG.

So your comment on the Falcon being out powered for the first time in years isnt exactly accurate.
Dude, your figures are for the hi-po commodore six, not the normal one
the VZ of 2004 had 172kw where as the BA had 182kw
The VE of 2006 had 180kw where as the BF has 190kw
now the FG has 195kw

about the only time the commodore outpowered the falcon was in 1986/1987 with the 114kw VL vs the 104?kw XF.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #17
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
No DI for the forseeable future unfortunately.

It's all about calibration, electronics and the exhaust system next year...
Yeah you're right, I was getting confused with the announcement I heard of the direct gas injection. Sorry.

Quote: