Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-01-2007, 05:14 PM   #1
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Default A must read.....

I didn,t want to hijack MY GT's thread on the sad loss of his Grand Ma. So I started this. Its kind of related.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...580394,00.html

I found it absolutely amazing. I wonder how many people have had the "machines turned off" and knew about it???

Take the time to read it guys......

Cheers all.

Old 21-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #2
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

i got to the end of the first page...but then i lost consciousness.

seriously, its an amazing and disturbing topic.
Old 21-01-2007, 10:00 PM   #3
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcook
i got to the end of the first page...but then i lost consciousness.

seriously, its an amazing and disturbing topic.
hey Dude, you gotta work on your attention span. :Reverend:
Old 21-01-2007, 11:23 PM   #4
Mental
Cam Luncheon

Personaly I have a hard time believing that their is no 'soul' so to speak. Being able to reduce ones experience to the random firing of nurons, to me, still doesn't explain ones ability to view themselves in the process. It also reduces one's life to being meaningless, as the illusion of choice in your very motion is the result of random collisions and events in our brain, with the result being that you believe that you are the creator and author of those said actions.

In my eyes, you would be a walking talking lie in the above example, and in so, means that everything you do would have no meaning. The very reason that we choose to appreciate anothers actions is that they place a part of themselves in the act.

What part of me, is the bit that is able to subjectively view my experience. Where is the bit that allows observe, to observe myself observing.

Lets just say for a minute that I am infact the sum total of my brain, and that upon the expiriation of this gray matter, that the sum of my conciousness, now without any 'input' ceases to exist. What a monumental waste of time. I was born for no reason, live for no reason, and died the same way. What purpose does that fill? The function of my consiousness is pointless and redundent. If the point was to fill the globe with humanoids, you could do much MUCH better without this consiousness thing at all.

I refuse to believe that a thing like the universe, being so unbelievebly vast and incredibly monumentaly complex, giving birth and life to not just us, but time, space, emotion, thought would throw away the ONE THING that makes it able to exhist at all ... conciousness.

Think about this.

If a universe exhists, and there's no conciousness there to see it, is it really there.
Old 22-01-2007, 11:59 AM   #5
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think so therefore I am.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 12:14 AM   #6
Mental
Cam Luncheon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
I think so therefore I am.
But you are not what you think.

If you want to read something that will surely spin your mind, Read this
Old 24-01-2007, 01:43 AM   #7
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental
Personaly I have a hard time believing that their is no 'soul' so to speak. Being able to reduce ones experience to the random firing of nurons, to me, still doesn't explain ones ability to view themselves in the process. It also reduces one's life to being meaningless, as the illusion of choice in your very motion is the result of random collisions and events in our brain, with the result being that you believe that you are the creator and author of those said actions.

In my eyes, you would be a walking talking lie in the above example, and in so, means that everything you do would have no meaning. The very reason that we choose to appreciate anothers actions is that they place a part of themselves in the act.

What part of me, is the bit that is able to subjectively view my experience. Where is the bit that allows observe, to observe myself observing.

Lets just say for a minute that I am infact the sum total of my brain, and that upon the expiriation of this gray matter, that the sum of my conciousness, now without any 'input' ceases to exist. What a monumental waste of time. I was born for no reason, live for no reason, and died the same way. What purpose does that fill? The function of my consiousness is pointless and redundent. If the point was to fill the globe with humanoids, you could do much MUCH better without this consiousness thing at all.

I refuse to believe that a thing like the universe, being so unbelievebly vast and incredibly monumentaly complex, giving birth and life to not just us, but time, space, emotion, thought would throw away the ONE THING that makes it able to exhist at all ... conciousness.

Think about this.

If a universe exhists, and there's no conciousness there to see it, is it really there.
mate your displaying a one sided veiw. what about the people who die before birth. or 2 minutes after birth. what was thier point ????
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 01:15 PM   #8
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Couldnt stop reading. Great find OBJ, thankyou.
Old 22-01-2007, 01:31 PM   #9
Sapper
Back to the AU

Interesting read. I suppose the one problem we face is we can only measure/manipulate something with physical existance whereas a soul does not have a physical existance.
Old 22-01-2007, 03:00 PM   #10
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

interesting read, good find
Old 22-01-2007, 03:26 PM   #11
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

great read, really makes you think...

**pun intended**

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 04:12 PM   #12
Scott

Bugger reading all that, I'll wait til it comes out on DVD...... but seeing as some of you have taken the time to read it, does it have an suggestion for how thoughts are presented inside your head?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 05:41 PM   #13
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Bugger reading all that, I'll wait til it comes out on DVD...... but seeing as some of you have taken the time to read it, does it have an suggestion for how thoughts are presented inside your head?
"I am thinking" that you should read the article. :nutsycuck
Old 22-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #14
Scott

Was waiting for that......
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2007, 12:49 AM   #15
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

These are the parts I find most interesting to ponder.
Quote:
In September, a team of Swiss neuroscientists reported that they could turn out-of-body experiences on and off by stimulating the part of the brain in which vision and bodily sensations converge.
Generally we are told this is a persons 'soul' being separated from their mortal body and yet they are actually able to turn this on and off...wow.

Quote:
The brain's spin doctoring is displayed even more dramatically in neurological conditions in which the healthy parts of the brain explain away the foibles of the damaged parts (which are invisible to the self because they are part of the self). A patient who fails to experience a visceral click of recognition when he sees his wife but who acknowledges that she looks and acts just like her deduces that she is an amazingly well-trained impostor. A patient who believes he is at home and is shown the hospital elevator says without missing a beat, "You wouldn't believe what it cost us to have that installed."
Can we trust our own memory?

Quote:
And when you think about it, the doctrine of a life-to-come is not such an uplifting idea after all because it necessarily devalues life on earth. Just remember the most famous people in recent memory who acted in expectation of a reward in the hereafter: the conspirators who hijacked the airliners on 9/11.

Think, too, about why we sometimes remind ourselves that "life is short." It is an impetus to extend a gesture of affection to a loved one, to bury the hatchet in a pointless dispute, to use time productively rather than squander it. I would argue that nothing gives life more purpose than the realization that every moment of consciousness is a precious and fragile gift.
That's why I believe in now and trying to make my life all I want it to be right now, without worrying and dedicating myself to an afterlife.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2007, 01:51 AM   #16
gtfpv
GT

a few things to think about .
when i had an operation going under anesthetic . i wanted to experiance everything. going under i wanted to experiance the exact second of going out . i didn't get to experiance it , as i dont remember the exact second.
when i woke up it was to someone calling my name . ( a nurse) i remember it exactly . it was like a tv screen coming on like the old ones used to . i remember telling the nurse i love you baby, as if it was my wife . i had no pain at all, and then pain came slowly on , until it was unbearable . then 3 doses of morphine paralysing me , but the pain was still everybit there .
i recently got my dog put down, in my arms . they give them 10 x the amount of anesthetic to kill them . the dog died in about 3 seconds . but brethed for about one minute without a heartbeat. WHY ??????
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #17
bEAn86

yeah a guy at work belives in all that mumbo jumbo, its great and all but i want to see first hand proof and until then im no beliver
bEAn86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post