Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-05-2006, 07:21 AM   #1
Gabbins
Starter Motor

Default BA XR6T for 20yr old

There's probably a thread on this already, but just in case......

I went shopping for an XR6T yesterday, the only real problem was finding insurance.

Any other young blokes out there who have found insurance for their XR6T ?? How much was it ???

Could I put the car in my mums name, and finance in my name, then list myself as a driver ??? (she lives in VIC btw)

Thanks !!!

Old 09-05-2006, 09:49 AM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yep, the only solution is buy an XR6 NA or pay big bucks.

I dont recommend putting it in your mums name either.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 10:04 AM   #3
falcon91

I just did an online quote for you as an example from QBE for a new XR6T:
$1065 for a 45 year old driver with the highest no claim bonus.
They would not insure me when i put my age at 25 or less.
Just to give you an Idea. Good Luck!
falcon91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 09:57 AM   #4
hambo_12

The only prob with it being in your Dad's name and you being listed as a driver, is that they still base the policy on the youngest driver. I think you will get insurance, just you will be paying an arm and a leg for it.

The way I would do it (this is just my opinion though) is to put it in your Dad's name, thats it, and if you have a claim while your driving, you just have to pay an excess. Just make sure with the insurance company first...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 10:16 AM   #5
blutura
ZX-6R & Falcon pilot

check out Just Car Insurance. They are the branch of AAMI that insures young drivers with imports and modified cars. They were the cheapest by about $1000 when I was getting quotes for my MR2.

You can only have two.
blutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 10:20 AM   #6
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I also did an online quote for a brand new BF XR6T through RACQ...

$1380/p.a. for a 22 year old, rating 1 (no protection) and high performance excess included.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:23 AM   #7
hambo_12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_SE_Ute
I also did an online quote for a brand new BF XR6T through RACQ...

$1380/p.a. for a 22 year old, rating 1 (no protection) and high performance excess included.
Thats actually a really good price, I think Im getting ripped off (~$1200 for 21 Y/O with AUII xr6 ute with mods) :
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 09:27 PM   #8
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambo_12
Thats actually a really good price, I think Im getting ripped off (~$1200 for 21 Y/O with AUII xr6 ute with mods) :
i would say so, my mrs is just 22 and her AUII XR8 with stezza and mods is only $900
Old 09-05-2006, 10:25 AM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You know there IS a reason why insurance is so high for your age group in that car.

If you do end up with one always remember, you have a tiger by the tail and it WILL bite you if you let it........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 09:37 PM   #10
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You know there IS a reason why insurance is so high for your age group in that car.

If you do end up with one always remember, you have a tiger by the tail and it WILL bite you if you let it........
Why's that Flappist, because a few young tools can't keep their wrx in a straight line. 4wd or not you can't corner at 15o clicks.

I bought my Ba xr8 when i was 19, i'm still here and haven't crashed it and yes i do give it a hiding. I doubled the power and and still flog it and yet i havent crashedit. You can't class all young people as driver's cause some arn't.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 09:39 PM   #11
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

think you missed a word or two there
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 10:28 AM   #12
070mstg

i assumed this thread would be about whether an 18 year old should have an XR6T, i worked on one a while back,daddy had bought it for an 18 year old,the car lasted 3 or 4 weeks and was written off one sat night while he was showing off to his mates.
070mstg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 10:36 AM   #13
jmc-007

Not everyone is a ******** on the road with hipo cars. not all young guys should be tared with the same brush.

Some of the old farts on here are not that sensible either. its just all to common to blame young fellas.

Good luck if yo u can find insurance. because some have wrecked what chance we can have of owning a nice car with out having to fork out 1/3 of the price of it on insurance.

Im not giving NRMA or AAMI the satisfaction of taking my hard earned money and charging me insurance, (My self) knowing full well im not going to be a ******** with a hipo machine and crash it or hurt someone else.

So i would rather not buy an XR6T or anything like that because the hassle is not worth it. Due to Old farts taring us with the same brush. Insurance companies and the Media doing the same.

:
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 11:00 AM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc-007
Not everyone is a ******** on the road with hipo cars. not all young guys should be tared with the same brush.

Some of the old farts on here are not that sensible either. its just all to common to blame young fellas.

Good luck if yo u can find insurance. because some have wrecked what chance we can have of owning a nice car with out having to fork out 1/3 of the price of it on insurance.

Im not giving NRMA or AAMI the satisfaction of taking my hard earned money and charging me insurance, (My self) knowing full well im not going to be a ******** with a hipo machine and crash it or hurt someone else.

So i would rather not buy an XR6T or anything like that because the hassle is not worth it. Due to Old farts taring us with the same brush. Insurance companies and the Media doing the same.

:
your right there are old farts who are still dicks but in proportion they are hugely outnumbered by young dicks that have NO EXPERIENCE and think they know it all.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 12:25 PM   #15
jmc-007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
your right there are old farts who are still dicks but in proportion they are hugely outnumbered by young dicks that have NO EXPERIENCE and think they know it all.

I have done numerous Driver training days and Safety Courses but that doesnt seem to count for much.

I dont asume to know it all i dont know everything. I suppose you were never young once or anything. you were just born an old fart.

How some people forget.
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 02:39 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have done numerous Driver training days and Safety Courses but that doesnt seem to count for much.

I dont asume to know it all i dont know everything. I suppose you were never young once or anything. you were just born an old fart.

How some people forget.
These driver training days you have done....

Was there other traffic on the road at the same time?
Little kids running about?
Was it snowing, raining, at night with oncoming headlights?
Was there a herd of skippies or moo cattles wandering about?
Did you have a cold or a hangover?
Were you in a really bad mood or super happy?
Did you get a flat tyre in a corner?
Did someone run a red light in front of you?
Were there bees or wasps in the car?
Were there kids or idiots mates in the back seat distracting you?
Were you late for something important and held up by slow cars?
Was your stereo playing your facorite song at 100db?
Were there potholes or rocks on the track?
Did something fall off the back of a truck in front of you?

Need I go on?

These things happen in the real world........

You, like me, and everyone else here think they are very good drivers and are much better than the average. There must be one really really bad driver somewhere for there to be so many above average.

There is only one FACT about driving and that is no "old fart" on this forum was ever killed in a car accident when they were young.......

Age is not a restriction but attitude and arrogance are.

When I was young I used to ignore my father's advice because I was so much cleverer than him......

Now I have nephews who think they are good drivers except for all the near misses and "incidents" and I try to help them with advice and guess what?
They are so much cleverer than me..........

I hope they will live to be "old farts" one day as the alternative is not all that good.....

I stand by my original post. Performance cars are less forgiving than normal vehicles and should be treated accordingly. Failing to do so will bring its own consequences.....
Old 09-05-2006, 11:33 AM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

:
Little bit paranoid are we? I was not attacking the choice only giving some advice. You are the one showing predjudice.

I was making the statement that the reason why the insurance premium is higher for young drivers is because the insurance companies base their premiums on statistics gained from repairs that they pay for.

If you do not believe that more care needs to be taken with a high performance car than a normal vehicle then you have just put yourself into the category that you despise.

Experience is gained with time behind the wheel not age, even Craig Lowndes was once a learner and got bitten (more than once).
Old 09-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #18
XR666T

You live in Victoria, correct? Do you know that an XR6T is over the power/weight limit set by VicRoads, making it "illegal" to drive while on your P's??

That's the main thing that turned me off getting one myself, that and insurance...
XR666T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 09:20 PM   #19
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Well mate, your all out of luck, because the insurance don't give a hoot. So yep same brush, same tare even. Get use to it

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 10:42 AM   #20
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Mate I wouldn't even bother.

If you have that much cash, it be getting some hot hatch, then saving the rest until you get past the magic 27y.o barrier.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 10:55 AM   #21
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Bugger it go against the grain, get the XR6 T you'll love it and besides with TC on and a good set of tyres its a lot lets dangerous than the old VN's ou their.

Insurance, well if your got a good record and a reasonale NCB (Ie 3 or 4), and a good history NRMA/RACV/RACQ should insure you no problems. I m only 18, but found that i could get insurance for an XR6T for only $2100 from NRMA (which is exxy but not too bad), otherwise i suggest you try Just Cars. AAMI wont touch you and dont even bother with Allianz.

Id forget about putting it in your mum's name, it will still be 1k plus and you wont be improving your insurance record.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 11:42 AM   #22
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would check RACQ/NRMA in your state, although we only have an XR6 my son 18yr old P plate is on the policy as a driver and accrues a NCB for when he gets his own insurance.
Old 13-05-2006, 01:57 AM   #23
pandaman
Back in Blue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
I would check RACQ/NRMA in your state, although we only have an XR6 my son 18yr old P plate is on the policy as a driver and accrues a NCB for when he gets his own insurance.
Yeah, he's right, RACQ/RACV/NRMA will insure just about anything if it's fairly stock. They're expensive, but hey, that's the price you pay for driving a niiiiice vehicle. Well that's what I like to tell myself, given that NRMA is one of the only insurance companies that will cover me, as a 20yr old driving a V8. Dead serious, pretty much none of em are interested in covering a young fella driving a stock family wagon, weird hey? :

Back in Blue baby!
pandaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #24
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

When i bout my XR8 i had a hard time finding trouble (e-series XR8). As soon as thry heard "20" and "v8" they pretty muhc hung up on me.
I ended up going with Just Car Insurance, third party fire and theft. Costing me around 527 a year.
It's the age group that kills ya. No matter how good you have been (me = no accidents or lose of points etc etc) the actions of a few have ruined it for the rest of us.

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 09:04 PM   #25
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347_XR8
When i bout my XR8 i had a hard time finding trouble (e-series XR8). As soon as thry heard "20" and "v8" they pretty muhc hung up on me.
I ended up going with Just Car Insurance, third party fire and theft. Costing me around 527 a year.
It's the age group that kills ya. No matter how good you have been (me = no accidents or lose of points etc etc) the actions of a few have ruined it for the rest of us.
Heading o/t here, but I got my EB when I was 20, and RACV only quoted $290 for 3rd party fire & theft.

Then again location plays a big factor!
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 11:52 AM   #26
Aeron
DJR Fan

I was 20 when i got my XR6T and the only people that would touch me were Shannons. I think its was over $3000 a year (Male in NSW). Some people say that they will not insure under 25's but it is stated on my policy that im under 25. It even states that I pay a few hundred more because im under 25. Now im 22 its down to about $1500 a year. I've had no accidents and have all of my points so that helps I guess. The good thing is every year my insurance comes down by heaps.
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 12:11 PM   #27
Hally

Have only really just scanned through this thread but did you know.......

Until the end of May, if you purchase a car through a Ford dealr and finance at least $10k through Ford Credit, they are throughing in free 12 month comprehensive insurance.
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 12:19 PM   #28
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

I find plenty of power with the NA XR6 – and insurance is ridiculous as soon as you add the T.

But if you absolutely must be turbo’d then try Just Car Insurance, they look for young drivers and cover hipo mods no problem. Only issue is their agreed value – my insurance is currently up for renewal and they’re telling me my car is worth all, yet the premium is still high. Gonna blast em soon…

Anyway good luck!
Old 09-05-2006, 01:11 PM   #29
mowog
Discovery 4

What will amaze those young fellas is how much those old farts have learned in about 10 years.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 02:08 PM   #30
jaytyn

Why is just car so cheap? They are $600 pa for 24yo with a BA XT, and RACV and the likes are $1200+

Is just car any good?
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post