Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-03-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
GTS_300_Coupe
Mandy Moore FTW!

Default So like the Xbox 360 comes out in 3 days here in Australia... who's getting one???

I just paid off my preorder today, and am going to the midnight launch at EB on wednesday night.
Its gonna be so awesome, already got Perfect Dark Zero and Project Gotham Racing 3 sitting at home waiting to be played. :eclipsee_

The graphics of these new gaming consoles are simply amazing.
Soon I reckon we'll be seeing close to real life quality graphics on the home TV.

Who else is going to pick up one?
Anybody even remotely interested?

By the way, you PS3 guys will have to hold out for even longer now.
Playstation 3 got delayed till November this year and thats for the Japanese Launch so we wont even see it till sometime next year. :

Just check these awesome X360 games out:

Ghost Recon

Project Gotham Racing 3

Test Drive Unlimited

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Dead or Alive 4

GTS_300_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 08:38 PM   #2
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll prob wait till around christmas time for when the price drops/they're on sale. I was gonna get one to play oblivion.. But i'm prob just gonna upgrade the PC.

It's like almost a grand for the good X360 isn't it?
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 08:41 PM   #3
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

i was going to buy one right away, but i already have an xbox, and just got 50+ games i am yet to play.. hehehehe, so after my fun runs out, i will have to get the xbox 360, the graphics look stunning!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

The TV is definately going to be the only thing really holding back some of these new gen consoles.

Personally though im a bit of a PSX fan, so i ve got a wait yet.

Dont mind me asking but how much is the new 360?

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #5
GTS_300_Coupe
Mandy Moore FTW!

The new XBOX360 is priced at $649 but thats for the Premium system.
While the Core 360 system costs only $499 but you will miss out on a built in Hard drive, DVD remote, silver DVD faceplate, Wireless controller and Voice headset.
So best option would be to go with the Premium system, you will save alot more in the long run.

However, Electronics Boutique is doing a trade in deal at the moment.
If you have your old Xbox and 7 games (no exclusions) you can trade them in and get $150 off which I have done so I could get the premium version console for $499 instead.
Old 20-03-2006, 09:03 PM   #6
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS_300_Coupe
The new XBOX360 is priced at $649 but thats for the Premium system.
While the Core 360 system costs only $499 but you will miss out on a built in Hard drive, DVD remote, silver DVD faceplate, Wireless controller and Voice headset.
So best option would be to go with the Premium system, you will save alot more in the long run.

However, Electronics Boutique is doing a trade in deal at the moment.
If you have your old Xbox and 7 games (no exclusions) you can trade them in and get $150 off which I have done so I could get the premium version console for $499 instead.
just saw a Hardly normal advert asking $749 for the povo pack and $949 for the premo pack,they claim to be discount merchants but who are they kidding,they are the dearest in Australia and thats with 18 months interest free ing_sm

QUOTE What makes you think I'm going to park behind a VE? I don't even attend the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras! QUOTE
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 09:11 PM   #7
McobraR
me may my mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC 5ltr
just saw a Hardly normal advert asking $749 for the povo pack and $949 for the premo pack,they claim to be discount merchants but who are they kidding,they are the dearest in Australia and thats with 18 months interest free ing_sm
You beat me to it. Yeh Harvey norman is asking for like $750 for the normal pack... I read somewhere it was meant to be about $500. WTF are they bloody doin, merciless M*therИИИИИers. Though if the normal price is meant to be $750 then i guess im just stupid :
All in all, doesnt really matter to me as i hardly play videogames
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 09:14 PM   #8
GTS_300_Coupe
Mandy Moore FTW!

Dont buy from Harvey Norman they sell it higher than anywhere else.
Target, KMart, Big W, EB, etc are all selling the x360 for $649 or $499 core.
Old 20-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #9
Ultimate
Pimp Daddy Pimp Pimp

Location: Queensland Events Assistant Co-Ordinator. Fiery's Little Helper

Yep well i think we get better graphics from pc myself.
---------------------------------------------------
AFF Merchandise

Excellent Purchases With: AFF Team, Rooster, Russ
Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 08:53 PM   #10
GTS_300_Coupe
Mandy Moore FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate
Yep well i think we get better graphics from pc myself.
That all depends really.
The Xbox 360 is more powerful than any market PC currently available and as a dedicated gaming machine you will be able to play games better with no need to upgrade or download patches.
The only way you will experience the full potential of the consoles hardware is if you have a High Definition TV.
Playing it on a regular TV wont do any justice so yes if you have a really powerful PC it might be better to play whats available on that instead but if you got a brand new TV the xbox 360 will look better and run smoother.

Plus its more fun to play games on a couch than on a computer desk. :
Old 23-03-2006, 01:56 PM   #11
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
That all depends really.
The Xbox 360 is more powerful than any market PC currently available and as a dedicated gaming machine you will be able to play games better with no need to upgrade or download patches.
The only way you will experience the full potential of the consoles hardware is if you have a High Definition TV.
Playing it on a regular TV wont do any justice so yes if you have a really powerful PC it might be better to play whats available on that instead but if you got a brand new TV the xbox 360 will look better and run smoother.

i would certainly disagree with you, you obviously have never played a high end PC, so you are in position to judge which is better.
The pictures you are given are certainly not mind blowing, compared to xbox or PS2 yes they are definately better, but they are about on par with about 1-2year old PC games, FEAR, doom3, Battlefield 2, Halflife2 all on high res, decent PCs will look better then those games, and thee games game out ages ago, then with this Xbox, to even be able to see the graphics you need to spend thousands on a plasma sceen.

do you seriously think a $3000PC is less powerful then a $500 gaming console? lets be serious here, you get what you pay for, Xboxes dont have some magical technology which pc manufacturers have never heard of before, as soon as new computer technology comes out they will make it for PC consumers.
more fun playing on a couch, thats your opinion, you simply cant beat the mouse and keyboard for accuracy that a control pad can only dream of, though some games are better with a control pad
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 02:26 PM   #12
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Dave
i would certainly disagree with you, you obviously have never played a high end PC, so you are in position to judge which is better.
The pictures you are given are certainly not mind blowing, compared to xbox or PS2 yes they are definately better, but they are about on par with about 1-2year old PC games, FEAR, doom3, Battlefield 2, Halflife2 all on high res, decent PCs will look better then those games, and thee games game out ages ago, then with this Xbox, to even be able to see the graphics you need to spend thousands on a plasma sceen.

do you seriously think a $3000PC is less powerful then a $500 gaming console? lets be serious here, you get what you pay for, Xboxes dont have some magical technology which pc manufacturers have never heard of before, as soon as new computer technology comes out they will make it for PC consumers.
more fun playing on a couch, thats your opinion, you simply cant beat the mouse and keyboard for accuracy that a control pad can only dream of, though some games are better with a control pad
It’s not as simple as that. There is no difference between PC and console as these are just terms used to distinguish the case for which the guts sit.

Here one quote.

"When Associate Editor Rich Brown asked the folks from Nvidia about the value proposition of high-end PCs vs. next-gen consoles, he didn't quite get the answer he was looking for. In his E3 PC gaming blog, Rich paraphrased the PR rep as saying that "if next-generation consoles represent the best that Nvidia and ATI can do at the time when those consoles launch, you'll still be able to count on PC hardware surpassing the PS3 and the Xbox 360--within a few years."

Same goes to the processors and in Sony’s case the claim is

"The PS3's Cell processor--combined with an Nvidia-based RSX graphics processor--will offer stronger graphical performance than just about anything you can get in a current gaming PC. That means you're getting a whole system for less than what it would cost to buy a cutting-edge, high-end graphics card. But you don't have to take my word for it or even Sony's: the claim that the PS3 will offer the equivalent graphics performance of two GeForce 6800 Ultra cards working in tandem came from Jen-Hsun Huang, president and CEO of Nvidia. Current cost of those cards: about $500 each. Cost of Alienware's Aurora ALX SLI, which incorporates a dual 6800 Ultra configuration: nearly $5,000. And how many consumers are willing to pay hundreds extra for PC graphics cards that the manufacturer's own CEO admits are inferior? I'll let you do the math"

These quotes are from Cnet reviews. Dedicated forums argue the accuracy for and against but at launch the INDUSTRY claim is as stated. Where individuals argue is at the level of dedicated and assigned support with in these elements.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 04:12 PM   #13
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Dave
I have to agree. When it comes to racing games, I find the PS2 controllers perfect to use. However, the PC wins hands down for FPS games - I find the up/down/, left/right and back/forward movements soooo much easier with a mouse than with the gamepad.
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 04:50 PM   #14
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
I have to agree. When it comes to racing games, I find the PS2 controllers perfect to use. However, the PC wins hands down for FPS games - I find the up/down/, left/right and back/forward movements soooo much easier with a mouse than with the gamepad.
Good point.

FPS for computers, racing for consoles.

However, I've got to say...Consoles today are only just starting to catch up with the awesome power of the ATARI 2600!!!
Old 23-03-2006, 04:59 PM   #15
Ultimate
Pimp Daddy Pimp Pimp

Quote:
That all depends really.

Yes well i dont think the xbox could beat duel x850xt running in sli mode, with 4gb of ram, and duel core 4800+ cpu's. Also you cant get a tv screen that will do big resolutions. Dell make a 30inch moniter which its native resolution is more then what any video cards in the world cant run maxed out on fear
AFF Merchandise

Old 20-03-2006, 09:14 PM   #16
Nevermind
Goodbye XR8

Hopefully I'll soon have a 42" or 50" HD plasma, maybe then i'll think about a 360.
Old 20-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #17
Franky
Bring back the Phase

well top of the range pc costs over $2000 and games cost about $80 to $90.

Too me the xbox 360 is the bargin "bang for your buck" option to pc's but each to their own

Last edited by Franky; 20-03-2006 at 09:38 PM.
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 09:27 PM   #18
GTS_300_Coupe
Mandy Moore FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky
well top of the range pc costs over $2000 and games cost about $80 to $90.

Too me this is the bargin "bang for your buck" option but each to their own
Well both machines are differently suited.
Xbox is entertainment dedicated (DVD, Music, Online Gaming, etc) while PC is multipurpose.
Theres alot of new exciting games which will only be released on console also so while you might have a blast playing your PC games, theres only a handful of good ones.
Old 20-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #19
Xploded

Yeah I wouldnt mind getting one, but price a little bit to high for me at the moment considering I dont play the one I have alot as it is ha ha. Will just wait till it drops abit but will eventually get one.
Xploded is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 09:33 PM   #20
Franky
Bring back the Phase

I meant the xbox is better value... I was agreeing with you

Oh and btw the harvey norman packages come with games hence the price rise
Old 20-03-2006, 09:50 PM   #21
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

I am selling my 2 xbox's (1x The Missus, 1x Mine) And will prolly buy a new one!
Old 20-03-2006, 10:03 PM   #22
XRated
Shoot.

I'll probably get the new PS........ In about two years time when they're affordable!

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 10:04 PM   #23
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Oh yay the Xbox360 is coming out before PS3, PS2 came out before Xbox and the general consensus is that Xbox is better so maybe the roles will be reversed. The November launch is world wide not just Japan.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 10:09 PM   #24
Franky
Bring back the Phase

What is dead or alive like? is it similar to tekken or more like Mortal Kombat?
Old 20-03-2006, 11:27 PM   #25
GTS_300_Coupe
Mandy Moore FTW!

Dead or Alive is simply awesome.
Its similar to Tekken/Mortal Kombat yes, however DOA series are alot faster and smoother so its hard to compare.
Though I will say that I did enjoy Dead or Alive 3 much more than the new Tekken 5. Graphics are much better in DOA also.
Old 20-03-2006, 11:40 PM   #26
GTS_300_Coupe
Mandy Moore FTW!

I actually found a video of the new dead or alive if you've never seen it running.
Sorry about the poor quality though but you get the idea, its a pretty fast game compared to other fighters.

DOA4 Trailer
Old 21-03-2006, 12:21 AM   #27
Ultimate
Pimp Daddy Pimp Pimp

I seen the 360 in big w a little while back. Pc's got better graphics
AFF Merchandise

Old 21-03-2006, 01:33 AM   #28
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

at the moment not enough good games to justify that amout of money, and with only having to wait until november to see the ps3 i can wait
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 01:40 AM   #29
InitialD
Low and Loud

pfft you would have to be a spanner to pay that much for a console that is just going to drop in price in a few months ($998 for Premium? how is it premium? does it come with leather?)

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 01:40 AM   #30
max^power
Formerly au^ute

anyone remember what happened when the first xbox came out? we are talking about microsoft here... they'll make the same mistake surely.
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post