Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
BlueOvalPrint

Default Genuine Ford parts - stupid pricing discrepancy

Heya all, just thought I'd post my experience from today.

I decided to get hold of a new serpentine drive (fan) belt for my 09 G6ET. It only has 55,000km on it but the belt on my 03 BA XR6T failed at 65,000km - not long after the last Dealer service - and damaged the front crank seal ($300 for parts and labour to fix), so as preventative maintenance I'll be replacing it myself.

I wanted a genuine Ford/Motorcraft belt but I thought I'd check out eBay to get an idea of prices for the belts in general. Among the listings I noticed there were a few sellers offering the genuine belt, including official Melbourne and Adelaide Ford dealerships. Around $28 for the belt from these dealers, plus $9 Registered post for a total of $37. Pretty good, I thought, and decided to call the local Ford dealer here in Canberra to find out if I could pick one up locally before the weekend for about the same price. Their price: just under $63!!! Yes, more than double the price for the exact same part (number SX862A), and even with postage the interstate dealers were still so much cheaper. I told the local dealer of the price difference; after he said it wouldn't be a genuine part (it is) and double-checking the part numbers, he wouldn't move on his price and said "I reckon you should buy two of those at that price"!

So - are the interstate dealers selling at/near cost and about to go out of business, or is my local dealer being greedy, or both?

BlueOvalPrint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: Genuine Ford parts - stupid pricing discrepancy

i noticed the Canberra dealers are a rip off, as well as being the worst dealers to co-operate with that i've ever experienced (besides Townsville, they like to go sideways in my cars). Most dealerships will match another dealers parts price, not in Canberra they wont. I wanted some headlight protectors for my FG and on ebay they are $82, went to Woden Ford and they wanted $145. I asked them to do them for $100 and he said no way. Even just the servicing department is an absolute nightmare with parts, i provide all parts now that are outside warranty so they don't screw me more than they already do.
Old 29-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
I wanted some headlight protectors for my FG and on ebay they are $82, went to Woden Ford and they wanted $145. I asked them to do them for $100 and he said no way.
That's dearer than my local dealership. They quoted me for the headlights $98, $101 and $111 (yes, that is for the same part). They quoted me over the phone - $98. I needed some other accessories so I asked them to email me a quote - $101. I went in to the dealership to buy a couple of the quoted accessories - $111.

I'm more than happy to buy the genuine accessories from my local dealership - after all I did work there for over 12 years. I am even willing to pay a premium over the price that is advertised over ebay - but at least be competitive and consistent with pricing.

In regards to the OP question. The parts people are salespeople and accordingly are out to maximise dealership profits.

Maybe Ford need to step in and discuss with dealers about their pricing policies. I know that other car brands have price discrepancies as well but this could be one area where Ford takes the lead and makes a point of difference in the vehicle ownership.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just did the bearings on my BA, they are a complete unit, hub wheel studs and all, just slide it on.
My Ford dealer wanted $190 each, got genuine Ford ones off Ebay for $75 each plus delivery, 5 days later it was on my door step.
No wonder they're going broke, cutting their own throats with this type of customer rip off.
Old 29-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOvalPrint View Post
Heya all, just thought I'd post my experience from today.

I decided to get hold of a new serpentine drive (fan) belt for my 09 G6ET. It only has 55,000km on it but the belt on my 03 BA XR6T failed at 65,000km - not long after the last Dealer service - and damaged the front crank seal ($300 for parts and labour to fix), so as preventative maintenance I'll be replacing it myself.

I wanted a genuine Ford/Motorcraft belt but I thought I'd check out eBay to get an idea of prices for the belts in general. Among the listings I noticed there were a few sellers offering the genuine belt, including official Melbourne and Adelaide Ford dealerships. Around $28 for the belt from these dealers, plus $9 Registered post for a total of $37. Pretty good, I thought, and decided to call the local Ford dealer here in Canberra to find out if I could pick one up locally before the weekend for about the same price. Their price: just under $63!!! Yes, more than double the price for the exact same part (number SX862A), and even with postage the interstate dealers were still so much cheaper. I told the local dealer of the price difference; after he said it wouldn't be a genuine part (it is) and double-checking the part numbers, he wouldn't move on his price and said "I reckon you should buy two of those at that price"!

So - are the interstate dealers selling at/near cost and about to go out of business, or is my local dealer being greedy, or both?
You'll proably find that the ebay dealer would charge the same if you walked in the Spare Parts office.

It just allows them to not have to deal with customer service, get paid automatically via paypal, and probably have them shipped from the warehouse, thus reducing costs. Alot more streamlined and cheaper then dealing with people walking in, talking, complaining, etc...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yep big margins on parts. Not sure why dealers bother selling on ebay, probably trying to meet targets but with all the admin it requires you would have to question it. They have different levels of pricing, retail, trade, internal, cost etc. You will probably find they are pricing some of the stuff at internal, that is what they would supply it to the service department for.

I have only ever bought parts from the one dealer, they always look after me.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
monte.b

i wanted a tailight for my bf ute ,went to the local dealer ,he wanted $300 for it ,i said are you kidding me ,he said no mate these have to come from the usa ,i bought one on ebay for $59 delivered to my door ,are they stupid or do they think we are
monte.b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte.b View Post
i wanted a tailight for my bf ute ,went to the local dealer ,he wanted $300 for it ,i said are you kidding me ,he said no mate these have to come from the usa ,i bought one on ebay for $59 delivered to my door ,are they stupid or do they think we are
He's actually not wrong, they do come from the states out of the F trucks. But the price is stupid.

I always buy my genuine parts from Bayford parts on Ebay. By far the best prices and service on parts and if you want something they don't have they will list it for you.
Old 29-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
fordman302

Last time i went to get genuine parts i told them how much it was on ebay but said i would rather shop local so they matched it
fordman302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

parts for Focus is the same..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
V8 Ghia Mike
Blue blooded Ford guy!

Hah, that reminds me when I needed a new sump plug for the Ka. I couldn't get one aftermarket and had to go to Ford parts centre at Regency Park. It cost $32....the poor guy at the counter feebly mentioned that it came with a washer...

Mike

94 EF Fairmont Ghia 5.0- XR8 in a tuxedo...
Bordeaux purple, Tickford kit, 2.5+ inch drop, EL Ghia chrome, leather, Pioneer sound, C&C, electric everything, 18" BA XR8's, ABS, LSD, GT40P's, Crane cam, ChipTorque ECU, XR8 snorkel, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights.
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bf ute taillights are the same as an f250
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #13
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

one of the dealers would have been bayford, they are consistently a lot cheaper . not sure how they do it, I know the guy at the local dealer and he said some of their prices are below his cost

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #14
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
one of the dealers would have been bayford, they are consistently a lot cheaper . not sure how they do it, I know the guy at the local dealer and he said some of their prices are below his cost
Bayfords gets stock dumps out of Fords main parts centre. That's why they end up with a lot of NOS parts.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #15
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that explains a lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Bayfords gets stock dumps out of Fords main parts centre. That's why they end up with a lot of NOS parts.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #16
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
Yep, thats who I got my front bearings from, definitely saving them as a favourite to use again.
Old 30-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #17
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Dealers buy their Parts from Ford at a different price/rates. (like a ranking system)
Then there are sales (bigger discounts) on some items if bought in bulk.

I remember the Parts Manager buying in 100 EF A/C compressors - we sold about 5 a month to that point. But at the price Ford sold them, it was too good to pass up.
It was winter when he ordered them - come that summer, we sold heaps!

We would quote the full retail price and sell it at trade. The customers thought we were gold and management were still happy with the margins.

Another factor is the staff member you speak to. If they've just had some clown screaming at them because the three dollar part they want will cost them $40 - they are far less likely to be friendly.

For me - your approach to me dictated what price I offered you.
Be a smart backsided ****** - full retail.
Nice respectful and generally nice - Trade price or better (depending on the margin)

I once gave a guy a less than trade price for a part (can't remember what it was) because we all knew it was way over priced. (bought it down from around $400 to about $300). He went OFF calling me all sorts of names and suggesting I insert it elsewhere and stormed off.
Ten minutes later he was back - the price was full retail..... and no surprise he went off again and left.
I then rang and e-mailed all the Perth Dealers I knew and advised them of the chances of meeting this clown and to hold out on price........... they did.

TL: DR
Not all dealers get to buy from Ford at the same price and don't turn over the quantity needed to get good (extra) discounts.
And be nice to Parts interpreters.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #18
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351 View Post
Dealers buy their Parts from Ford at a different price/rates. (like a ranking system)
Then there are sales (bigger discounts) on some items if bought in bulk.

I remember the Parts Manager buying in 100 EF A/C compressors - we sold about 5 a month to that point. But at the price Ford sold them, it was too good to pass up.
It was winter when he ordered them - come that summer, we sold heaps!

We would quote the full retail price and sell it at trade. The customers thought we were gold and management were still happy with the margins.

Another factor is the staff member you speak to. If they've just had some clown screaming at them because the three dollar part they want will cost them $40 - they are far less likely to be friendly.

For me - your approach to me dictated what price I offered you.
Be a smart backsided ****** - full retail.
Nice respectful and generally nice - Trade price or better (depending on the margin)

I once gave a guy a less than trade price for a part (can't remember what it was) because we all knew it was way over priced. (bought it down from around $400 to about $300). He went OFF calling me all sorts of names and suggesting I insert it elsewhere and stormed off.
Ten minutes later he was back - the price was full retail..... and no surprise he went off again and left.
I then rang and e-mailed all the Perth Dealers I knew and advised them of the chances of meeting this clown and to hold out on price........... they did.

TL: DR
Not all dealers get to buy from Ford at the same price and don't turn over the quantity needed to get good (extra) discounts.
And be nice to Parts interpreters.
I agree, I was an Interpreter for more than 40 years and yes, parts prices can vary and do. It's no different to Woolworths and Big W or Kmart or Target. In most states except Victoria, there are Distributors and Dealers, they get different prices. Distributors usually carry a HUGE stock, sometimes into the millions of dollars and so they usually have bigger margins as they have more staff.
People should not forget the Interpreters have to be paid to look up your inquiries while on Ebay, it is all done for you on what is being sold.

Too true about being nice to Interpreters, they are people too and get sick of stupid questions like other people and DO like to be treated with the same respect and dignity customers want.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #19
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I appreciate that in the OP you are comparing one dealer’s price with another for genuine parts.
Keep in mind though that sometimes when a “dealer” is selling on eBay they may be the identical parts, but not necessarily “genuine.” ie they have obtained them direct from the manufacturer or imported them.

The problem is that common parts for common models are widely available from 3rd party suppliers and retailers. Dealers can’t compete and so a lot don’t bother to try. It usually when you need a less common part that you are forced to go to a Dealer, they know this and so use the opportunity to recoup some costs.
Again, I understand the OP was comparing genuine parts but the dealer didn’t believe that and acted accordingly.

I’d also make the point that many people end up running business because they were good at the underlying service, not because they are good at business. And others I just have no idea why they thought they should run a business.
Lastly, many departments are measured on percentage profitability not overall profit, so managers take the view that they sell at full retail or not at all.
Old 29-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #20
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Went to Ford today actually to get a price on something (albeit small). Fleabay wanted 88$ + postage (I think about 15$), and Ford wanted 41$ + 3$ postage. Told him to order it for me there and then

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #21
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We used to have motortraders in SA.. you could buy genuine Ford parts without getting bent and sent...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #22
suttoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
We used to have motortraders in SA.. you could buy genuine Ford parts without getting bent and sent...
Motor traders used to sell parts to retail customers at dealer cost. Good riddance they are gone now. Sorry to the guys that got bargains.
But back to the belt, the retail on one of those should be around $55. Seems that they are selling them at dealer cost. Which if that's the case they will be getting a phone call.
1997 EL GT, #102, Manual, 27000kms.
2002 AU3 TS50 #114, Auto
suttoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #23
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by suttoo View Post
Motor traders used to sell parts to retail customers at dealer cost. Good riddance they are gone now. Sorry to the guys that got bargains.
But back to the belt, the retail on one of those should be around $55. Seems that they are selling them at dealer cost. Which if that's the case they will be getting a phone call.
you got shares in ford spare parts ey

rear diff covers

motor traders $138

fraud $265

next one i pop will be grabbing one from the wreckers
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #24
suttoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
you got shares in ford spare parts ey

rear diff covers

motor traders $138

fraud $265

next one i pop will be grabbing one from the wreckers
haha you could say that. Yeah good luck finding a rear diff hat. Presumably for BA-BF?
1997 EL GT, #102, Manual, 27000kms.
2002 AU3 TS50 #114, Auto
suttoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #25
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you need the part now ,youll pay the premium
Your willing to wait a few days,week youll pay the lesser price
Add in your time to shop around, look on line, buy the item ,deal with the pay details, wait for the parcel, drive down the post office to collect, unless they deliver to door
Vs, walk in get the part now,pull the cash from your pocket,go home and fit part

Many sell on line ,as reduced overheads,so reduce part prices and sometimes make more money per part
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #26
Kil4Collingwood

Darryl twitt ford in shep was pretty pricey for a combination switch on my bf3 wagon, bayfords price was better by about $50 to their credit they knocked their price below bayfords.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
Kil4Collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #27
2002au
Define definitive

ford wanted $200 for 2 new front wheel bearing for my xr6,

got them from ebay 70 for the pair ;)
BF F6 TYPHOON in NEO #718 ~ 356rwkw :
BF XR6 TURBO in SILHOUETTE
2002au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #28
KIWI-1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf View Post
I always buy my genuine parts from Bayford parts on Ebay. By far the best prices and service on parts and if you want something they don't have they will list it for you.
Same, same.
Great service, anytime I want something not listed on ebay I email them and Darren just emails a paypal request for me to click.

Genuine Motorcraft, shipped from the warehouse direct to you.

Back in the 80s I needed some ARB stuff for my Patrol. I knew the Nissan Parts Manager pretty well so he offered to buy it in and sell it to me at his cost.
When I enquired how/why, he explained that Nissan counted all sales towards targets and Nissan gave him an extra 20% discount because he had the highest parts sales in the country.

Not unlike rebates for new car sales.
Old 30-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #29
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

you need to compare prices for genuine vs genuine, you can not compare genuine to aftermarket, many people have had to pay twice by going the cheap route

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #30
jrfttf
Getting By!?

Papa smurf has hit it on the head
jrfttf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post