Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Has Ford Simply got it Wrong?

It seems that Nomatter what Ford does, they cannot arrest the sliding sales of the Falcon, and whilst the Terri has rebounded, it’s not really enough to justify a stand-alone model.

All of this has got me to thinking; has Ford simply gone completely the wrong direction with their large cars?
It seems to me that increasingly these cars are aimed at boring old farts. Their most significant developments of late have been the Diesel Territory Slug, the EcoLpi, and the EB. The XR6 is barely more than a trim level (essentially replacing the Futura and SR) The XR6T lives in constant fear of the axe, V8 is gone, and the XR8 no more. The Territory has lost all its turbo modes, including the F6X, and you can’t even get an I6 in AWD! FPV have trimmed back its models, etc, etc. Yes, the world has changed, the market has changed, and I'm not saying that any of the forgoing would necessarily have “saved” the Falcon, but it does make me wonder if they haven’t made a dreadful mistake?

There is obviously a large (increasing?) demographic out there who care nothing about style, performance, or handling. As long as their family slug has 57 airbags and 18 different button on the steering wheel, they’re happy. There are also those who having driven “reliable” (and boring as bat ****) Corollas all their boring lives now want something a little more comfortable for the replacement hips. Problem is NONE of these people are going to buy a Falcon Nomatter how boring you make it.
People wanting a safe reliable family slug for their missus and kids will buy her a Camry or some Hyundai. Those who want to be a little bit “stylish” will get a Mazda 6. I(If I was going that path, as a Ford diehard, I’d be tempted to get her an ecolpi, but would probably plump for the Mondeo TD.) Boring old farts (still reeling from the demise of the Avalon) will STILL buy ******* Camrys, secure in the knowledge that they COULD buy an Aurion if they wanted to be a hoodlum.

If you want a “bang for your buck” RWD saloon, or SUV, the Falcon and Terri are impossible to beat in their home market. And I still reckon there is a significant niche market out there for exports of those models.
Nobody overseas is going to want to buy an EB Falcon, nor be fooled that a Territory Titanium is a prestige vehicle. But stick the 300kw+ I6T in an AWD, and you have something that PERFORMANCE wise would be punching way above its price-range.

I'm not suggesting that FA make EVERY Falcon a performance model, only that focussing on, and highlighting those aspects of the range, along with less boring styling, might reposition the Falcon brand in the market place.

It’s basic marketing 101. To carve out a market share you either need to offer an (attractive) point of difference, or you need to be able to improve upon what the market is currently consuming. The Falcon will never compete with Camrys & Hyundais etc when it comes to price, economy, and “reliability.” Hence the need to have points(s) of difference.

6 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2013, 01:06 AM   #2
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Default Re: Has Ford Simply got it Wrong?

I seriously doubt the XR6T is about to be axed at any point soon. Only time the XR6T dies is when Falcon itself dies. Its a hero car at this point.

Large cars just don't sell anymore, simple as that and its not like the good old days where the government did all they could to keep non Aussie built cars out of the country. With the numerous different car makers in Aus thesedays, Ford is only entitled to a small piece of the pie.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 01:42 AM   #3
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

It's hard for Ford to make ground with Falcon when less people are shopping for large sedans. That's why I don't think further differentiating the product from its competition is going to do much for sales momentum at this stage in the game. A few people will hold hope for the 2014 update to re-energise sales, just like FG was supposed to do, just like EcoLPI was supposed to do and just like EcoBoost was supposed to do. No matter how good Ford make the product, they're going to suffer with a shrinking market.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2013, 02:15 AM   #4
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

It is hard to pass judgment on whether Ford Oz has made the correct decision in regards to the Falcon and Territory without knowing all of the information that Ford themselves have on hand.

In regards to the XR6 now being barley more than a trim level replacing the Futura and SR is probably correct. However Holden have also done this with their SV6. The XR6T is not going anywhere and the XR8 is now the FPV GS (rightly or wrongly).

The Territory Turbo models were cut from the model line-up for one simple reason – they did not sell. There may be a number of reasons for this but that is the bottom line. There were two models in the Turbo range and the base model was just simply not appealing. The Ghia gained a little interest but certainly did not sell in the numbers that Ford needed it to. Apart from some premium brands, there are no other manufacturers offering a turbo petrol SUV.

I 100% agree, Ford needs to give the Falcon and Territory a point of difference with their vehicles. Yes, they probably need more features in the upper spec models to give better value. But what features do they put in there. Other threads have covered this and everyone has had a different opinion on what features they need. Remember one thing – some people buy the Falcon or Territory because of what it doesn’t have – they simply do not want to pay extra for something that they do not want.

However the one thing that they need to do is start marketing the point of differences that they already have. They need to start pointing out some of the features and benefits of owning a large car. I covered some of this in another thread comparing it to another type of popular car - I won't repeat it here. Maybe a campaign "The 10 Myths of Owning a Ford Falcon" I'm no advertising exec so maybe this is a stupid idea.

Heck, while I am typing this I cannot even remember what the current Ford slogan is – I remember, “Have you drive a Ford lately.” It had a catchy tune. Even though the ad does show a Mondeo at the end of it the Ecoboost ad is very good. Somebody in another thread said that their child was doing the whistle. Funny you should say that but I heard a mate’s child do the same thing yesterday while twirling his finger around his ear. My mate said, “Bloody Ford.”
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 03:39 AM   #5
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
It is hard to pass judgment on whether Ford Oz has made the correct decision in regards to the Falcon and Territory without knowing all of the information that Ford themselves have on hand.

In regards to the XR6 now being barley more than a trim level replacing the Futura and SR is probably correct. However Holden have also done this with their SV6. The XR6T is not going anywhere and the XR8 is now the FPV GS (rightly or wrongly).

The Territory Turbo models were cut from the model line-up for one simple reason – they did not sell. There may be a number of reasons for this but that is the bottom line. There were two models in the Turbo range and the base model was just simply not appealing. The Ghia gained a little interest but certainly did not sell in the numbers that Ford needed it to. Apart from some premium brands, there are no other manufacturers offering a turbo petrol SUV.
So, that would be a point of difference?
I don’t know how many Turbos Ford sold, but I’d like to compare that number to the number of EB’s they’re selling!?!
I’d also like to know what attempts were made to market it O/S

And yes, as I said, I understand that the market has changed and “people aren’t buying large cars” anymore, and that’s kinda my point.
They’re not going to convince Camry buyers to buy an EB Falcon instead with their “hey look we’ve made the Falcon almost as boring as you” approach.
Although their “Territory Diesel – we’ve taken the S out of SUV” does seem to be striking a disturbingly successful chord.

Whether people realise it or not, their desire to purchase a certain car (or cars) is arrived at by a process of compromising desire against attainability. Whether it acts as a function of marketing or simply absorption, people cannot decide on something that isn’t available. You can’t convince people that they want (or “need”) to buy the “cherry on top” if there is no cherry.
As for buying a Ford because it doesn’t have stuff, sorry NOBODY pays more money for something they perceive as less.

It’s interesting that people jump to the defence of the XR6T, proclaiming it’s immortality, apparently as a rebuttal of my argument, and in doing so proving my point. Does anybody care that the pov pack is called an “XT,” or that we nolonger have a “Futura”? The XR6T sells BECAUSE it is a performance model, has fewer natural competitors in its niche market, and “bang for buck” is unbeatable. I say it is under threat only because every step FA has taken with Falcon recently has been in the opposite direction.

In addition to trying to carve out more sales in a shrinking domestic market, (as has been talked about ad nauseam in other threads,) a possible salvation of our home grown products is export. Even without the unfavourable exchange rate and cost comparisons, boring as batshite Diesel Terri’s and EB Falcons are NOT going to sell, period. I’m not saying that performance models are necessarily a shoe-in either, but at least with their “bang for buck” appeal they might have a chance.

People keep crapping on about what a great product the Falcon is and how Ford should exploit that and not kill it, etc, etc, blah, blah. And I don’t necessarily disagree, but WHAT exactly should we be trying to sell?
Imagine you’re a ****, or a pom, walking into your local Ford showroom. You’re looking at the Mondeo/Fusion, with its choice of engines, and its roomy yet economical packaging, and the salesman says “hey look for a lot more money you can have the same engine and similar space in this funny looking car from Australia!” Nobody would buy it, and nobody would want to try and sell it. Whether the performance models could get off the ground is admittedly a big question but at least it would give them a product they don’t already have and a potential niche market

And I reiterate that a relatively SMALL NICHE market in the USA and Europe would be a MASSIVE boost to local numbers.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
It's hard for Ford to make ground with Falcon when less people are shopping for large sedans. That's why I don't think further differentiating the product from its competition is going to do much for sales momentum at this stage in the game. A few people will hold hope for the 2014 update to re-energise sales, just like FG was supposed to do, just like EcoLPI was supposed to do and just like EcoBoost was supposed to do. No matter how good Ford make the product, they're going to suffer with a shrinking market.
The 2014 Falcon ad campaign (if it gets one) will give them the opportunity to properly advertise the Eco models.

being the best Falcon made yet... that will be icing on the cake.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:06 AM   #7
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exporting Falcon at the launch of FG might have helped production numbers, but now this platform is well past the half way mark for its run and the final update is not far away. Its simply too late now to do anything more with it and we have what we have.

As for sports models etc. I am surprised Ford haven't done more with the assets of Prodrive which they got for a song. They really haven't done anything with them at all and you would think they really are only going to be of value, while there is a local Falcon to fit those engines and body kits to.

Putting the XR8 badge back on the GS and getting it out the door at XR6 Turbo prices seemed a logical move to me. Yes the GT would have to be re-positioned in price too, but given its not exactly setting sales charts on fire at the moment, adjusting its price might not of hurt sales volumes either.

Its looking like Ford just wanted to secure the FPV branding for future generations of cars and minimise the "Falcon is dead" stories in the media, that the formal end of contemporary GT production would have bought. To be fair the press going on about it could have been devastating to Falcons sales - possibly enough to nix the development in 2014 Falcon and call it a day. They really had no choice about buying FPV, if they stood any chance of recouping the money already spent on the 2014 model and the other fallout that would occur.

That all said its clear with the local model mix and the trimming of models and decontenting that is still going on, that this is now an accountants game. How to maximise return on a diminishing customer base, before you call it a day for Falcon and Territory.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 01-05-2013 at 05:24 AM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #8
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Crazy Dazz, maybe you should ask a few people in the real world about their thoughts on an Aussie made Ford rather than a Ford forum? We are spoilt for choice when it comes to motor vehicles in this country and given that most of the population would rather live in a crowded and congested state capital city, most go for smaller more efficient cars I guess.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #9
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Ford are in the business of making a profit, and thus they are unlikely to continue
to build cars that people do not want to buy. In our market, the large sedan is just
about dead, so what is the point of flogging this dead horse even further?

Export? Why would a poor selling Falcon here have a place in an OS market? It is an
unviable proposition at best. Terry is maybe a chance to sell a few, but also an
unviable development cost I would say.

In addition, the OPs comments regarding boring cars and boring old people are entirely
subjective and offer no valid point toward the merit of an alternative Ford product.
Why do Corollas and Mazda 3's sell so well? Because they are well engineered,
reliable, economic and frankly not that "small" any more. It's simple.

It seems to me that Ford are closing the hatch to the money pit of the large sedan here
in Australia. Given the Terry's engineering ties to the Falcon, I guess this one is on the blocks too.
I love my Falcon, but their days are numbered. This is blindingly obvious
to me. When it's all over and if I'm still in the market for a Ford there will be something
there to choose from.

Until then, I reckon there are a few years yet to go with my Aussie Falcon which I will
thoroughly enjoy.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #10
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The market has moved on, look around you, people and businesses (remember that most cars are sold into fleets, 80% or so) now want smaller turbo diesel cars or dual cab 4x4 utes
Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #11
Motorbreath310

Just curious. Would anyone know if the large car sales slump has hit the premium segment? How are 5 series, E-class and A6 sales doing?
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #12
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Ford have offered a wide ranges of engines to cover different aspects of the market...

Unfortunately, the market is oversaturated with choice, so in the end a few will miss out...it not only the Falcon sliding...The market is up, yet, not one vehicle is selling at the numbers that the falcon/commodore were at 10-15 years ago.

What is more damaging is the constant hammering of the brand not just by the media...but by the almost weekly lashing it receives on some forums...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #13
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post

What is more damaging is the constant hammering of the brand not just by the media...but by the almost weekly lashing it receives on some forums...
you would like to think that, but in reality brand bashing on an internet forum, or crap blogs written by deadbeat journo's has got nothing to do with it.

my dad and many others switched from fords to euros during the B-series era for example after driving fords their whole life because they wanted a better quality/different type of vehicle. In the end people want what they want, nothing can really change that.
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #14
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a huge amount of reasons people dont want falcons or this type of car anymore, road conditions, you cant park it with the nose over the curb ifs its an xr6 due to too low spoiler. Its hard to get into if you are 6ft. I have a BA dirt race car and an XR8 ute, my next ute will be a dual cab as after having two work vehicles in the last 3 years they are easier to live with, hopefully a ranger for me. Im now finding the XR8 ute hard to live with on a day to day basis, always trying not to rip off the bumper when i park. Anyone done an RTV conversion on an XR8. I want to keep it for a while as the BA XR8 ute only has 43k on it and i like the way it sounds, looks and accelerates. So as a company i think ford are making the right decisions, they have arguably the best dual cab ute on the market, the focus which is again up there and most of their vehicle perform well and are reliable as do the falocns (good cars) people just have more choice and are excercising that choice.
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
It seems that Nomatter what Ford does, they cannot arrest the sliding sales of the Falcon, and whilst the Terri has rebounded, it’s not really enough to justify a stand-alone model.

All of this has got me to thinking; has Ford simply gone completely the wrong direction with their large cars?
It seems to me that increasingly these cars are aimed at boring old farts. Their most significant developments of late have been the Diesel Territory Slug, the EcoLpi, and the EB. The XR6 is barely more than a trim level (essentially replacing the Futura and SR) The XR6T lives in constant fear of the axe, V8 is gone, and the XR8 no more. The Territory has lost all its turbo modes, including the F6X, and you can’t even get an I6 in AWD! FPV have trimmed back its models, etc, etc. Yes, the world has changed, the market has changed, and I'm not saying that any of the forgoing would necessarily have “saved” the Falcon, but it does make me wonder if they haven’t made a dreadful mistake?

There is obviously a large (increasing?) demographic out there who care nothing about style, performance, or handling. As long as their family slug has 57 airbags and 18 different button on the steering wheel, they’re happy. There are also those who having driven “reliable” (and boring as bat ****) Corollas all their boring lives now want something a little more comfortable for the replacement hips. Problem is NONE of these people are going to buy a Falcon Nomatter how boring you make it.
People wanting a safe reliable family slug for their missus and kids will buy her a Camry or some Hyundai. Those who want to be a little bit “stylish” will get a Mazda 6. I(If I was going that path, as a Ford diehard, I’d be tempted to get her an ecolpi, but would probably plump for the Mondeo TD.) Boring old farts (still reeling from the demise of the Avalon) will STILL buy ******* Camrys, secure in the knowledge that they COULD buy an Aurion if they wanted to be a hoodlum.

If you want a “bang for your buck” RWD saloon, or SUV, the Falcon and Terri are impossible to beat in their home market. And I still reckon there is a significant niche market out there for exports of those models.
Nobody overseas is going to want to buy an EB Falcon, nor be fooled that a Territory Titanium is a prestige vehicle. But stick the 300kw+ I6T in an AWD, and you have something that PERFORMANCE wise would be punching way above its price-range.

I'm not suggesting that FA make EVERY Falcon a performance model, only that focussing on, and highlighting those aspects of the range, along with less boring styling, might reposition the Falcon brand in the market place.

It’s basic marketing 101. To carve out a market share you either need to offer an (attractive) point of difference, or you need to be able to improve upon what the market is currently consuming. The Falcon will never compete with Camrys & Hyundais etc when it comes to price, economy, and “reliability.” Hence the need to have points(s) of difference.
Every Falcon IS a performance model.

Did you not see the Top Gear test where a FG XT raced a XY GTHO Phase 3 and thrashed it?

A bog standard FG2 XT is quicker than 75% or the vehicles available in Australia, the current XR6T/G6ET is quicker than 95% of the vehicles in the market including EVERYTHING with a Holden badge (and every V8 Ford ever made before the SC V8) and then we come to FPV which are only challenged by supercars that make up less than 1% or 2% or the Australian market, start at double their price and go up from there.

I have an idea. Instead of everyone complaining constantly, how about just going down to your friendly Ford dealer and buying a new Falcon.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #16
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
I have an idea. Instead of everyone complaining constantly, how about just going down to your friendly Ford dealer and buying a new Falcon.
This is, without doubt the BEST quote I have ever read on the Forums. There are too many people that sit there and comment about how unjust the sales of Falcon is etc. Well if you're that passionate about the vehicle, get some brass out of your accounts or hit your bank man up for a loan (interest rates are at its lowest atm) and go buy a new one! Not a used AU or BA, go and buy a New one! And if enough people did, then you may be able to upgrade to the next falcon in a few years time.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #17
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Lets assume there are a regular 1000 Ford Forum contributors (and that's a
very generous figure) that each buy a new Falcon, one each, even each year
for the next three years. I don't think that will alter the big picture for the
Falcon in the slightest.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92 View Post
Lets assume there are a regular 1000 Ford Forum contributors (and that's a
very generous figure) that each buy a new Falcon, one each, even each year
for the next three years. I don't think that will alter the big picture for the
Falcon in the slightest.
Really?

Apart from the extra 1000 units sold which would not be povvo models there would also be 1000 new Falcons getting about with 1000 drivers who hopefully would be talking up their new Falcon, taking people for trips and maybe evenl letting them drive their Falcon and maybe, just maybe some of them will buy one as well or at least tell someone else they know just how great Falcon is.

I, personally, am an unpaid ambassador at large for Ford and mention their products when ever anyone talks about buying a car. A couple of days ago I even nearly had someone convinced to replace their Prius with an ECOLpi G6E instead of a new prius except the wife was afraid of using the gas pump.

So how about you all get out there and support Ford in the public arena rather than just moan and groan and complain on the internet.

Last edited by flappist; 01-05-2013 at 07:48 PM.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #19
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Why isn't that other car a Falcon"...?

Money. There you go, simple as that. Running and insurance costs on another large car if you already have a large car are just stupid. I don't know about your state, but here in Queensland a six cylinder car costs around $820. If you buy a second car and it's a six, then there's another eight hundred-plus bucks a year. Of course the second car is going to be a four cylinder. It's around $650 to register a four cylinder in Queensland. An eight is over a grand apparently.
Then you have the purchase price...for a second car, why are you going to spend another forty grand plus on another Falcon, when for half that (and for much lower running costs) you can have a four cylinder?

They should have actually pushed hard with the advertising for the Ecoboost Falcon...I still maintain, especially in states like Queensland where there's a big difference in rego costs, that they should have parked a small four cylinder...say a Corolla...beside a Falcon, and said "Both these cars are four cylinders, both these cars cost the same to register, but one is a large Australian built family sedan using worlds-best engine technology to return amazing fuel economy for a car of this size", or something. Make a big song and dance about the fuel economy and compare it to the "small" car, let people know how much size they are getting for their buck.

Of course, unfortunately "advertising" and "Falcon" are two words that are rarely seen together...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #20
markb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
"Why isn't that other car a Falcon"...?

Of course, unfortunately "advertising" and "Falcon" are two words that are rarely seen together...
Up to the last 4 months I haven't had a TV so couldn't comment on this but currently there are multiple ecoboost ads during shows like the biggest loser on channel 10 and the project I think.

So I am not sure what you are talking about if taking QLD into account - sure it's not what you are talking about as a comparision but it's on every night in prime time.

Like the OP said there are no ads for hilux or corrolla or any other cars other than the new barina? ford is there advertising Fiesta, Terri and ecoboost - not sure what else than can do?
markb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #21
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Flappist, I agree in regards to getting out there and telling everyone who will listen how good the Falcon is and not just have a whinge on the internet.

I do tell everyone how good the Falcon is. As a matter of fact, I tell everyone how good the Ford brand is. I was even lucky enough to be paid to do so for well over ten years. I know the Falcon product very well and I am able to give a very educated opinion on the strengths of the Falcon. I even go as far as offering anyone to a drive of my car or at least take them for a drive to show them.

However, there is two problems to this. First one is there appears to be less and less of us (the unpaid ambassadors) to promote the Ford brand. People are not going to go out and buy a Subaru and then tell everyone how good the Ford is.

Secondly, there is still a lot of people out there that do promote the Falcon but they simply do not have the information to promote it successfully. Just saying that the Falcon is great is not good enough. People have to back it up with reasons why it is so good and not that it is simply more powerful. When people do talk about it they need to say why it would be good for the person that they are talking to. For example, not much point telling someone how fast it is down the quarter mile when it is intended to be used as a family vehicle. Maybe say something like it has the power on hand to overtake trucks on busy highways so to minimise the amount of time that you are on the wrong side of the road - because as studies have found most fatalities are caused by head on crashes. The example is a little vague, I know, but I hope I am making myself understandable.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #22
olds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really?

Apart from the extra 1000 units sold which would not be povvo models there would also be 1000 new Falcons getting about with 1000 drivers who hopefully would be talking up their new Falcon, taking people for trips and maybe evenl letting them drive their Falcon and maybe, just maybe some of them will buy one as well or at least tell someone else they know just how great Falcon is.

I, personally, am an unpaid ambassador at large for Ford and mention their products when ever anyone talks about buying a car. A couple of days ago I even nearly had someone convinced to replace their Prius with an ECOLpi G6E instead of a new prius except the wife was afraid of using the gas pump.

So how about you all get out there and support Ford in the public arena rather than just moan and groan and complain on the internet.
I am a regular forum contributor . I also have purchased 3 brand new fords in the last three years ( private buyer not company car ). I also moan and groan on this forum and have been chastised for it. I also tell anyone who asks my honest opinion about my experience with the ford product as you can see if you review my posts . I advise people not to buy the current Ford product from these experiences . I have contacted Ford CRC with my grievances and its a waste of time , as many regulars on this forum will attest to. Its common knowledge the sole dealer in my area doesn't care for their customers . I think word of mouth is what is killing this product , If they don't look after their current customers they wont generate any new ones .
olds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #23
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Easier said than done.

The market still need used car buyers to help keep resale values (keep in mind this is one of the misconceptions of buying a Falcon). No used car buyers, no resale values.

It's a fact that paying off a house and utilities costs are at an all time high and have been for quite a few years. People just simply do not have the money to 'just go down to your friendly Ford Dealer and buy a new Falcon.' Keep in mind, people have always bought used cars. Do we actually know if buyers of today are buying used cars instead of new cars? Or is it just that people of today are buying more new cars than ever but just are not buying a Ford product?
Old 01-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #24
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Easier said than done.

The market still need used car buyers to help keep resale values (keep in mind this is one of the misconceptions of buying a Falcon). No used car buyers, no resale values.

It's a fact that paying off a house and utilities costs are at an all time high and have been for quite a few years. People just simply do not have the money to 'just go down to your friendly Ford Dealer and buy a new Falcon.' Keep in mind, people have always bought used cars. Do we actually know if buyers of today are buying used cars instead of new cars? Or is it just that people of today are buying more new cars than ever but just are not buying a Ford product?

The general public is far better informed about depreciation than they once were.
People know that instead of shelling out big bucks for a brand new car, they should hunt around for one that's a year or two old with a good service history...something that's current enough to be the current model shape and spec, but on which the first owner has taken the whack of depreciation.

When we were hunting for a four wheel drive early this year to trade the G6E on, we looked at new ones, but were staggered by some of the prices. So we started looking second hand, and eventually found a mid-2011 Triton GLX-R dual cab with canopy, tray liner, tow bar, bullbar, and in a nice metallic dark grey. Amazingly it only had 18,000km on the clock too. It was priced at $36,990...the original owner had paid about $52,000 for it a year and half earlier. We got the balance of the five year warrantee, so in effect, we have a "new" car.
Plenty of other four wheel drives were the same...a year or maybe two old, and up to half the price a new one would cost.

Seeing as how we were only offered a maximum of $19,000 for our well-equipped G6E that had leather guts and sat nav and premium stereo, and we paid $50,000 for it two years earlier, you can see how the sums work out.

Why buy brand new? Let the first sucker take the depreciation...and it's not like new cars these days are in any way "worn out" after only a year or two use. Check the log book, make sure you get the balance of the warrantee, and away you go.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #25
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
The general public is far better informed about depreciation than they once were.
People know that instead of shelling out big bucks for a brand new car, they should hunt around for one that's a year or two old with a good service history...something that's current enough to be the current model shape and spec, but on which the first owner has taken the whack of depreciation.

When we were hunting for a four wheel drive early this year to trade the G6E on, we looked at new ones, but were staggered by some of the prices. So we started looking second hand, and eventually found a mid-2011 Triton GLX-R dual cab with canopy, tray liner, tow bar, bullbar, and in a nice metallic dark grey. Amazingly it only had 18,000km on the clock too. It was priced at $36,990...the original owner had paid about $52,000 for it a year and half earlier. We got the balance of the five year warrantee, so in effect, we have a "new" car.
Plenty of other four wheel drives were the same...a year or maybe two old, and up to half the price a new one would cost.

Seeing as how we were only offered a maximum of $19,000 for our well-equipped G6E that had leather guts and sat nav and premium stereo, and we paid $50,000 for it two years earlier, you can see how the sums work out.

Why buy brand new? Let the first sucker take the depreciation...and it's not like new cars these days are in any way "worn out" after only a year or two use. Check the log book, make sure you get the balance of the warrantee, and away you go.
I agree with this - I did it myself with a Falcon purchase several months ago. Saved myself $10,000 and still have 20 months new car warranty.

So this scenario of buying a used car instead of buying a new car is not just Ford specific? It is across the whole market with all brands? That would mean that all brands have this problem but are still increasing their market share.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #26
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would have been interesting to see the difference if Ford had put Diesel in Falcon at the same time they did Territory. Too late now, let’s all just hope they have some big & grant plan for 2017 & all this waiting is worth the "no comment" line

Quote:

And yet Australian's are buying new cars in record numbers!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #27
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

What a load of garbage assumptions in this thread.

The Falcon outsells so many similar cars, has anyone checked their VFACTS?!

If you combine the large and medium segments the Falcon comes third behind the Commodore and Camry. Third!

http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...62#comment1362

Click the link, check the stats.

Now what certainly is true is that the Aussie market is massively segmented. We have so many more brands and models than 10-15 yrs ago. Also, we have a super high Aussie dollar AND very low tariffs. Lowest in the world more or less.

In light of all this the Falcons is doing fine. Considering the amount of SUVs u can buy, the typical family has soooo many options.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #28
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd View Post
What a load of garbage assumptions in this thread.
The Falcon outsells so many similar cars, has anyone checked their VFACTS?!
If you combine the large and medium segments the Falcon comes third behind the Commodore and Camry. Third!
Wake up! The Falcon sales numbers do not justify the further development and
local manufacture of a single car design on its own platform, in a single market.
That's why Ford are tanking the Falcon.... The Camry, by comparison, sells
all over the world.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #29
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92 View Post
Wake up! The Falcon sales numbers do not justify the further development and
local manufacture of a single car design on its own platform, in a single market.
That's why Ford are tanking the Falcon.... The Camry, by comparison, sells
all over the world.
I agree that is quite likely. Certainly if the Falcon doesnt drum up the numbers then it will attract no more investment and be retired.

Im no guru on how crucial the AU auto industry is to our economy, but if mining goes south or sideways and we dont make cars...are we in for a world of hurt?
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #30
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd View Post
I agree that is quite likely. Certainly if the Falcon doesnt drum up the numbers then it will attract no more investment and be retired.

Im no guru on how crucial the AU auto industry is to our economy, but if mining goes south or sideways and we dont make cars...are we in for a world of hurt?
Urrr Yes. Where aust is geographically located in relation to cheap labour countries in asia and our high labour rate employment suggests to me that Australian manufacturing is and has been facing its greatest challenge ever. I suppose we can always flog uranium if mining goes pear shaped.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post