Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Do agree with 'Filtering' and should be legal?
Yep .... done safely with stationary traffic, no probs 131 64.85%
No .... Bikes should sit in traffic like everyone else 71 35.15%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 24-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Should motorbikes be allowed ride through stationary traffic?

source: http://www.mynrmacommunity.com/motor...onary-traffic/

From 1 February until 1 May this year, it will be legal for motorcyclists to ride through stationary traffic at intersections in parts of the Sydney CBD.

This practice of moving between stationary vehicles is known as Lane Filtering.

“Lane filtering is currently against the law, however there will be an exemption for motorcyclists in part of the CBD, which will permit them to filter through traffic when vehicles are stopped at traffic lights,” said Roads Minister Mr Duncan Gay.

Mr Gay is using the three-month trial to test if motorbike lane filtering improves traffic flow. Lane Filtering will be confined to the areas bordered by Sussex and Market Streets, St James Road, Macquarie and Alfred Streets and Hickson Road.

Although the practice is legal in other countries such as the United Kingdom and much of mainland Europe, Mr Gay wants to find strong evidence it works here before make any changes to road rules.

“This trial is not about favouring one road user group over another, it is a system which could benefit all motorists in the CBD. It needs to be tested to ensure it improves traffic flow while not jeopardising road safety,” said Mr Gay.

Conditions for motorcyclists:

Specific conditions will include taking extra care when filtering near buses, no filtering on the left in the kerbside left lane or dedicated turning lanes, and riders must stop at the intersection stop-line.

Lane splitting will not be allowed – this involves motorcyclists weaving through moving traffic instead of stationary traffic.

-- my 1c: I don't see a problem with it so long as they do it safely. it might encourage more people to ride instead of drive.

Old 24-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Should motorbikes be allowed ride through stationary traffic?

Yeah I'm all for it. To be honest they don't hold you up at all so they're gone as soon as the light is green, I think it is safer for them to be at the front rather than sandwiched between cars.

Especially since people love to creep forward whilst playing on their phone etc.
Old 26-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
PM308

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne View Post
Yeah I'm all for it. To be honest they don't hold you up at all so they're gone as soon as the light is green, I think it is safer for them to be at the front rather than sandwiched between cars.

Especially since people love to creep forward whilst playing on their phone etc.
i totally agree with you being somebody that rides occasionaly myself, once the light is green im gone i will not hold anybody up you wont even know i was there.....people just get the ***** cause they are stuck and dont like any one else getting through quicker

as long as they dont bang your mirrors up i dont see the prob
Old 24-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not really a fan of this idea.
Old 24-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

No, why should they be able to ignore lanes?
This user likes this post:
Old 24-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware View Post
No, why should they be able to ignore lanes?
1) To enable more efficient traffic flow by allowing faster accelerating traffic to the front thereby shortening delays and lineups (shame thay can't do this with cars)

2) To make riding safer. "If you are not moving through the traffic it will move through you".

3) To encourage riding thereby reducing the number of cars on the road with only one occupant while taking the same space as 4 motorbikes or a car with 4 occupants.

4) To annoy YOU personally (and I cannot stress just how important this reason is)
Old 24-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
1) To enable more efficient traffic flow by allowing faster accelerating traffic to the front thereby shortening delays and lineups (shame thay can't do this with cars)

2) To make riding safer. "If you are not moving through the traffic it will move through you".

3) To encourage riding thereby reducing the number of cars on the road with only one occupant while taking the same space as 4 motorbikes or a car with 4 occupants.

4) To annoy YOU personally (and I cannot stress just how important this reason is)

I love some of your posts

No 4 is probably the real reason most people would be against it, they get annoyed because somebody has made more progress than them in traffic

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 24-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
71cop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes..
Old 28-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #9
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
riders must stop at the intersection stop-line
I would love to see tin can occupants do this one day as well, not just drive past it, then stop.

I usually on see Lane splitting again when same tin can occupant just sits in the right lane everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GT View Post
Having a long time daily rider mate currently in hospital after losing his lower right leg due to being taken out by someone in a car failing to give way & turning into him at an intersection. Watching him accept that his riding days are most likely over & that his beloved Harley is no more reasures the reality that many car drivers aren't aware, & don't care what other motorists are doing. So who legally has to give way when old mate on his bike is half way along the 100m of stopped traffic when the light goes green at the front of the line? & which lane is the bike to enter into if on a multi lane road?
Loud pipes save lives.

The motorcyclist will know which spot to indicate then filter into.

I quite happily turn car mirrors forwards on cars who nearly hit me when i'm on the bike They failed to use it, so they obviously dont need the thing. They kinda get the point after that, and it causes no damage.

Last edited by my_gxl; 28-01-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 24-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #10
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most already do it anyway, I don't see why they shouldn't legalise it. Even though Mr Mid-life crisis on his big *** Harley with 4 ft wide handle bars makes me cringe each time they creep past, its never been an issue in the real world. I expect them to be careful just as I'd expect 'old mate' in his beat up jalopy on the other side to be careful too.
Old 24-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Yes.

It is legal in WA. You must not cross the white line though as this is undertaking as such and the vehicle/s you are overtaking must be stationary.

Why have a motorbike and be stuck with the rest of the tin top sardine cans?
Old 24-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #12
RAPID_BA
Banned

Just wish could do it in car
Old 25-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #13
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUE_ View Post
Just wish could do it in car
Pretend you are a soccer mum in an X5. They already do it.
Old 25-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #14
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No way.

It's dangerous, as it puts bikes in close proximity to cars and even worse trucks. And then there is the matter of bike riders scraping handle bars down the side of your car and/or knocking mirrors off your car, and then just disappear between cars to the front of the lane, leaving you to repair the damage to your car.

And Yes I have a bike license and have commuted on bikes for years from western Sydney into the CBD.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 25-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #15
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
No way.

It's dangerous, as it puts bikes in close proximity to cars and even worse trucks. And then there is the matter of bike riders scraping handle bars down the side of your car and/or knocking mirrors off your car, and then just disappear between cars to the front of the lane, leaving you to repair the damage to your car.

And Yes I have a bike license and have commuted on bikes for years from western Sydney into the CBD.
You have a bike licence?

Do you actually own a bike at present which you ride? On the road? More than once a year?

I ask because your reply to this post stinks of someone who is actually anti bike.

Lane filtering isn't dangerous unless some anti bike goose in a car tries to make it dangerous by intentionally opening a door or squeezing closed a gap.IE using their car as a road block or a weapon!

We aren't talking about lane splitting at 100kph on a freeway, just at walking pace between rows of stopped traffic.

Not lane filtering leaves the rider in a much more dangerous predicament around larger vehicles as instead of being out in front of all of the loonies in cars and trucks, they are in amongst them and left very vulnerable. If you had actually been on a bike regularly in heavy, congested traffic, you would soon come to realise this and not print the dribble that you did in your post!

As for taking off mirrors or scratching cars, I have never had it happen to me, nor anyone I know, so how regularly has it happened to you?
Old 24-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #16
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't have a problem with it and don't have a problem with lane splitting neither. I actually leave a little extra room for the motorbike if I notice them coming too.

FWIW, i've never had any interest in motorbikes neither.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #17
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Re: Should motorbikes be allowed ride through stationary traffic?

I never did it cos I always thought one day, a person getting a lift to the station/bus stop might make a snap decision to not wait, and fling the pax side door open.....too good an imagination I guess..

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 24-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #18
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"riders must stop at the intersection stop-line."

Does that mean they can't line up behind each other i.e if a bike has already filtered then no-one else can follow behind?
Old 24-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #19
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

some people who complain about it are all cage drivers because they they cant do it haha
i lane slip/filter all the time ..had to many close calls from cars just about running up my behind
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
Old 24-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Stationary at an intersection, no worries.

On the freeway, at 100km/h, hell no.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #21
Steve FGXG6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
"riders must stop at the intersection stop-line."

Does that mean they can't line up behind each other i.e if a bike has already filtered then no-one else can follow behind?
No they can not.
Old 24-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #22
AcidTrip

Hell yeah, I do it anyway in Melbourne. I'd rather be at the front and the first off the line instead of waiting at the back for Ms Chinatown in her SUV with bullbar that never sees a dirt road to run me up the *** again.

Edit; Yes, I do have prejudices. I've had three motorcycle accidents, twice rear-ended at a set of lights and once collected on the left in a roundabout by someone who "failed to see the stop sign". Good stuff.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #23
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

It should be legal already.......
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
5 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #24
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Just added a poll to make it more interesting .......

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 24-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #25
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

personally i dont have an issue with it and IMO it should be legal anyway. If anyone has been to Europe where there seems to be more motorcyclists in the cities, it does work well there and it will work here.... my only "concern" i guess i have are the bigger bikes like harleys and goldwings etc maybe best they zip up the inside in the breakdown lane (if there is one), gets them guys out of the way and is prob safer for the rider also... Were plenty of times after a long days work i would be stuck in 4 lane traffic on the brisbane/gold coast motorway watching the bike guys lane split or duck up the inside & wishing i could do the same and get home....... just my 2c

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
Old 24-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #26
05_ENFORCER

It should be permitted BUT there needs to be some driver education so that the majority knows it IS legal.

I see it most of the time here in W.A, motorists seem to want to own the road and not let anyone merge/overtake

Education is the key here

Old 24-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #27
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Of course!

There are car drivers who get very frustrated that bikes can efficiently and quickly move through areas while they have to sit stuck in a line of traffic...but that's the whole point of a bike in heavy traffic, something which most other places around the world realise.

For too long councils and governments here have turned their back on encouraging motorcycle and scooter use as a way to avoid heavy gridlock in cities and larger towns, as well as being an extremely efficient way to move people around instead of having one person sitting in each car in a big tailback on a road.

Most of the critisism sometimes, sadly, just comes down to jealousy.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #28
66GT

Having a long time daily rider mate currently in hospital after losing his lower right leg due to being taken out by someone in a car failing to give way & turning into him at an intersection. Watching him accept that his riding days are most likely over & that his beloved Harley is no more reasures the reality that many car drivers aren't aware, & don't care what other motorists are doing. So who legally has to give way when old mate on his bike is half way along the 100m of stopped traffic when the light goes green at the front of the line? & which lane is the bike to enter into if on a multi lane road?
2 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #29
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

They already do it, I see the occasional moron trying to block them off but I give them plenty of space, the less vehicles stuck in traffic the better.
5 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #30
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Im all for it (biased, i know) , I just hope there aren't too many riders out there who ruin it for us and the trial is ended and never thought of again!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
Closed Thread