Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
windowlicker
Little Dog

Default L platers - banned from Freeways?

Should they be banned until P plates are attained?

L plate cars present a rolling road block on a Freeway. Some trucks and caravans are bad enough, but the sheer numbers of L plates on the F3 north of Sydney is lunatic.

Before the advent of the logbook which requires a learner to rack up 50 hours of driving there was no issue, inexperienced drivers probably avoided the 110 overtaking drama. Now the freeways are teeming with these learners on long drives on the freeway to get their hours up. They go along at their top speed limit of 80kmph and traffic going by is doing 110kmph at least. Someone is going to be killed, it just needs the right adverse circumstances and it can all go to --- real fast.

End of gush.

Last edited by windowlicker; 27-07-2012 at 10:29 PM.
windowlicker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: L platers - banned from Freeways?

L platers shouldn't be banned, the idiot who thought up different speed limits for L platers should be.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so you are all for letting someone who has no proper driving experience do 110Ks? yea right! then we will get reduced speeds everywhere because of the increased road toll
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
L platers shouldn't be banned, the idiot who thought up different speed limits for L platers should be.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #4
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
so you are all for letting someone who has no proper driving experience do 110Ks? yea right! then we will get reduced speeds everywhere because of the increased road toll
Errr riight? So if they don't have experience driving at 110km/h, the logical thing to do is let them wait until they are on their P's and driving alone?...
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I agree whole heartedly. As a former DTAL (Driver Training and Licencing) Instructor here in the Northern Territory the rule was ;

1) Learners driving with family / friends were restricted to 80km/h and

2) When driving with an approved Instructor Learners were allowed to travel at 100km/h.

Just so you know, my experience as a D/I was for 8 years and this followed a career as an Ambulance Officer of 15 years. During this time I never saw an accident caused by a Learner driver travelling too slow.

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And P platers
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

I'm on my greens and can only do 100 and it's still scary enough, let alone myself not being able to do the 110-then coming up on an L.
It's fair enough to say they need hours, but unless they can do the speed limit, it's quite dangerous

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all roads are crap when you leave canberra
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Get ******.

The 80km/h speed limit is absolute bull **** on freeways/motorways...
Old 27-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #10
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
Get ******.

The 80km/h speed limit is absolute bull **** on freeways/motorways...

What he said.

Absolute effing bollocks. Totally ******. How are L platers supposed to learn how higher speeds feel like? They're limited to 80, then let loose by themselves to go 90! And being by themselves, they will certainly exceed 90! So is it more logical to have them go faster with a fully licenced driver guiding them, or go faster alone with no advice???? And guess what, THEY DONT HAVE TO GO THE POSTED LIMIT IF THEY DONT FEEL CONFIDENT ENOUGH!!

This is madness. I hate Nazi South Wales. Im up for a protest, this is going too far now.

Whoever reckons L platers have to be limited to 80 cos its safer is just...wow!! You amaze me.

How are the states going that dont have these L/P limits??? WA for example (and Victoria!) How many hundreds of thousands of young drivers are dying on their roads!?!?! They dont have these laws and they dont have to do 120 flamin hours of LOGGED driving!!!

Im just stunned. Yeah lets ban them! We can lift the speed limits for them noooo. ******* ****wits!

People are taking it way too far, its just not necessary! How can you gain experience if you are being stopped from it! A crock from the very start.

Ill leave it at that, maybe i should put my flamesuit on.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
anolade
trigger happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
What he said.

Absolute effing bollocks. Totally ******. How are L platers supposed to learn how higher speeds feel like? They're limited to 80, then let loose by themselves to go 90! And being by themselves, they will certainly exceed 90! So is it more logical to have them go faster with a fully licenced driver guiding them, or go faster alone with no advice???? And guess what, THEY DONT HAVE TO GO THE POSTED LIMIT IF THEY DONT FEEL CONFIDENT ENOUGH!!

This is madness. I hate Nazi South Wales. Im up for a protest, this is going too far now.

Whoever reckons L platers have to be limited to 80 cos its safer is just...wow!! You amaze me.

How are the states going that dont have these L/P limits??? WA for example (and Victoria!) How many hundreds of thousands of young drivers are dying on their roads!?!?! They dont have these laws and they dont have to do 120 flamin hours of LOGGED driving!!!

Im just stunned. Yeah lets ban them! We can lift the speed limits for them noooo. ******* ****wits!

People are taking it way too far, its just not necessary! How can you gain experience if you are being stopped from it! A crock from the very start.

Ill leave it at that, maybe i should put my flamesuit on.
this is in fault of RTA and the learner trainer, barely cover anything other then basics then hand u a license? who did a hill start in manual or got any form of education towing trailers.
enhanced by team at Blue Power Racing Developments
Now sold off and no longer owns a ford
anolade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2012, 11:55 PM   #12
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anolade
this is in fault of RTA and the learner trainer, barely cover anything other then basics then hand u a license? who did a hill start in manual or got any form of education towing trailers.
Yes its just typical from that lot. Lets see. I had to do 120 hours logged. Booked my test and handed the logbook to the counter bloke. He flicked through it not even looking at what was written (log books = waste of time) then ripped it half and off we went to begin my driving test.

Checked all the lights work in the car...off we go. Drove around a bit, had to do a parallel park then back to HQ....here's your licence sir...

Hardest part was filling out that piece of crap logbook!

That was in an auto AUII. I had to do my P1 again in a manual car as i bought a manual car and im not allowed to drive it with an auto P1 licence.
Same story there except i just had to do a roadside stop correctly! I mean seriously! The system is a crock!! No wonder we have halfwits on our roads because you only need 1/8th of a brain to pass the test!

Towing trailers...i went from no towing experience at all straight to towing two falcons up n down the state and through Syd. Thats just how you gain experience, by going and doing it! But no, we cant allow that.

Damo; didn't know that. Thank you. 200 is just

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
They dont have these laws and they dont have to do 120 flamin hours of LOGGED driving!!!
Yes we do, here in Victoria anyways, and there was talk of trying to lift it to 200 hours.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #14
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Yes we do, here in Victoria anyways, and there was talk of trying to lift it to 200 hours.
I have to do 25 hours in the 6 months I have a log book for in WA...

There's talk of raising it to 50 hours, 25 in the first 6 months, and 25 for the second.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #15
windowlicker
Little Dog

At 80kmph, the only thing different to other 80kmph zones they can experience is the bigger roadsigns. So ban 'em.
Old 27-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #16
LightingBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
At 80kmph, the only thing different to other 80kmph zones they can experience is the bigger roadsigns. So ban 'em.
That's the kind of eloquent solution an idiot bureaucrat would come up with. I believe that a more intelligent idea would be to dump the stupid 80kmph limit and let them do the actual limit and let them gain the experience at higher speed while supervised. no doubt that probably makes too much sense to actually happen.
LightingBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #17
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we were all L platers at one time,,the sooner people learn to share the road the better,,,
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #18
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint347dave
we were all L platers at one time,,the sooner people learn to share the road the better,,,
espessially when the op is complaing about a road and road rules from a diffrent state than they live, smells a bit douchbaggy to me. Im leaving before I get trolled. but i have to know where you born in this country?
Old 27-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Which mongo thought it was a great idea to limit license categories to particular speeds?

Does it somehow make sense to have up to a 30km/h difference in speed between multiple cars on a road?

This is why Victoria is good, you don't have that crap, you go the speed limit and thats that.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #20
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

well maybe they need to grade the learners portion rather than the provisionals.
L green can only do 80kph max and not allowed on freeways/toll roads..
L reds can do 100kph max and are free to access any public road available.
and instead of it being over 6 months it should be a 12 month thing.
then the Provisional drivers do their grading but alot quicker due to prior knowledge.. kinda like tafe courses etc.
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #21
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

If they are allowed on the road to learn ..... they are good enough to stick to the limit while doing so. In Vic, I am sure you can do what ever the limit is on your L's which is the right way I believe. If they are not confident doing 100, stay of those roads. There is a licensed driver with them and it is also their call.

Sick of the speed kills, drive slow and you are safe stupidity. What is safer??? Doing 80k's on a 100k freeway or doing 100k's in a 100k zone?? Think about it ..... some L platers are more competent than some full licensed driver.

Teach people how to use the roads ...... do not teach them just how to drive!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #22
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

I'd rather them learn to do 110 with an instructor/guardian rather than by themselves with no prior experience once they get their p plate.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #23
Werd.
nou

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
I'd rather them learn to do 110 with an instructor/guardian rather than by themselves with no prior experience once they get their p plate.
uhh they doesn't happen..
For a year they do 90,
then for another 2 years they do 100.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #24
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

human beings are incharge of there own saftey, everything else is smoke and mirrors.
Old 27-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #25
anolade
trigger happy

changing speed rules for L and p platers is no different to the bad drivers that sit under 100 in 110km zones or drive 10km or less anywhere for that matter these people that are gonna cause more accident.
everyday i see this i drive western highway to baccuhus marsh to Deer park and amount of drivers that easily not doing anymore then 90km in 110kms is astounding do people not real speed limits or don't understand/comprehend highway/freeway driving?. i drive at 113km cruise control adjusting speed to suit conditions.
enhanced by team at Blue Power Racing Developments
Now sold off and no longer owns a ford
anolade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #26
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Absolutely stupid.
I can't think of a strong enough word to express how insanely crazy that is.

In WA, I'm limited to 100kph, on Ls, and I can't drive in Kings Park in Perth (I don't wanna drive there anyway...)... and honestly, even being limited to 100 is dangerous enough. I've had people make dangerous passes countless times, and on occasion I have had to slow down to let them back in the lane before they hit oncoming traffic. All because I can't go 10kph faster?
I could very comfortably drive at that speed, but of course I don't because I'd like to keep my permit!

Being limited to 80 would drive me nuts! Especially since sometimes I'd have to ride in the passenger seat to get anywhere! (My parents hardly drive anymore)

Freeways are potentially very dangerous places to be, and if you can't learn with an instructor how to use them, then when you hit Ps, and have to drive on them, thing's could turn messy very fast! Where's the logic???
Can ANYBODY tell me why this is a good idea to ban L platers from freeways?

I could rant all night. But I won't.

I'm staying in WA thanks...
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #27
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

things have changed.. when I was going for my Ps. in casino NSW.. I had to do a hill start,reverse park, attack several round a bouts turning off at different intervals each time..I also had to point to things as the guy asked me where they were on the vehicle.. I had to make sure I made a correct seat adjustment as well as mirror adjustments. he even got out of the vehicle and stood in my blind spots (in the car park) before we left.
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 12:28 AM   #28
BAFrod

I grew up and learned to drive in Tassie, same NSW rules apply. Learned under supervision at 80 k's, got my license, bought a car, and totaled it, 5 days later.
And you know why? Because I had 0 experience driving at 110k's, and I lost control taking a simple bend on an open highway.

Differing speed limits is more dangerous than it's worth.
2004 BA1 Futura - XT/Ghia headlight clusters, satin black upper and lower grilles, black slim plates, red interior LEDs, Clarion 6.5" upgrade, XR alloy pedals, FG alloy scuff plates, wheels, tint and lower to come...
BAFrod is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #29
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Restricted speeds for L & P drivers are stupid.

First time I drove at 110 was by myself instead of with the people who taught me to drive. How does that make any sense at all.

An L plater and their instructor should use their own brains to decide when the L plater is ready to drive at 110. Should not have to wait for a full licence.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #30
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Wasn't it 60kph in NSW about 16 years ago?

There was no log book though, just age and time on L's and P's.

I learnt the most when I was 4 steering the ute while on Dads knee, then driving Pops ute myself when I was 5.

Farm kids have it good. Only thing it doesn't prep you for is dumbass city drivers.
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post