Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #1
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Default Help me pick a first car

Hello. I'm seventeen years old, and I soon plan on buying a first car. This car will be used frequently, covering many kilometres per year. It must be a Ford, as I've loved them ever since I was growing up and my grandfather owned a 1978 Ford LTD, complete with 5.8 litre V8. My parents say that they will buy me my first car, but
1) It must be sold for under $35000 or so
2) It cannot be older than about 8-10 years (they consider cars like XB Falcons to be unsuitable as daily drivers, although I'm not sure why).

I have come up with a few choices sofar.

1) Ford BF Fairlane
2) Ford FG XR6

Out of these, I prefer the Fairlane, but I'm worried that the sheer size might make it difficult to park, and for some reason unknown to me, they have a poor reputation amongst Ford lovers. However, I love the way they look (my dad considers it an old man's car and encourages me to buy the FG XR6 as he feels that it looks more modern), and the sheer size and luxury compared to the others. It also has some nostalgic value (due to the aforementioned LTD) and due to the relative unpopularity, it is a little more exclusive. I'm not interested in a BA Fairlane, due to the lack of the 6 speed automatic transmission.

I have heard many great things about the FG XR6 (as opposed to the Fairlane, which I don't think a kind word was ever said about). I've heard that it is dynamically pretty great. They also have a five star safety rating and come in manual! These cars also have street cred. However, I consider them to be quite ugly (sorry!), as I have never liked Euro cars, and the FG looks far to Euro for my liking. The BF cabin is also a much nicer place to be, with better air conditioning (which is very important to me). Speakers/etc. don't matter to me, as they'll most likely be replaced. Buying new might be a little expensive, but I should be able to find one in good condition, manual, and slightly used.

I could also buy a BA/BF XR6, but it's a bit difficult to find in manual (if it's going to be auto, why not just get the Fairlane?), and even more difficult to find a manual in great condition.

Which of these should I buy? Are there any other Fords which I should consider?

Thanks in advance for your help.

4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

What about a BF2 Fairmont Ghia if you can put up with an auto? They come with all of the good stuff the Fairlane has, but not quite so big and they're priced really well these days

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At 17 I would recommend something like a BA XR6 for about $8-10k.

Drive it for a year or so until you learn how park other than by feel or any of the other "mishaps" that plague new drivers.

Then sell it for a couple of $k less than you bought it for and buy the car you really want.

Last edited by flappist; 30-11-2010 at 12:23 AM.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

17 and getting a car valued up to 35 grand, lucky you.
As said a BF Fairmont is very very nice, but I'm sure as a 17 year old an XR6 would be more the look.
As you say a manual is hard to find and probably had a good working over.
Let us know how you get on.
Old 30-11-2010, 12:23 AM   #5
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Fairlane is a nice way to cart your mates around, pretty comfy back seat too for those, well, friendliest passengers.

Pretty damn big car to get used to driving with though, i'd stick with something less LWB. I'd be looking at a EL XR6, cheap to buy, maintain, parts everywhere, you can bang it, prang it, get it all out of your system, get off your P's and buy a Coyote.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 12:29 AM   #6
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Go the Fairlane, any one that you like....
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 12:49 AM   #7
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The lane isnt that much different to the falcon when parking imo. 35 grand wow
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 12:51 AM   #8
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

go the lane
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 02:41 AM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pretty hard to go wrong with any Falcon that has a 6 speed in it imo(as long as its been looked after).
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 02:51 AM   #10
Kaan
Mercury XR6

fg xr6 is my pick mate. Also have you considered XR5 Turbo?
Kaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 03:24 AM   #11
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For that money you could get a new XR5, but I understand that in some states you can’t drive a turbo or V8?
I wouldn’t recommend plonking down that sought of cash on a late model XR6, they are boring as, barely a step up from an XT. As Flappist said, I would recommend going cheaper for your first car. Fixing and upgrading is part of the fun of owning your first car. Then once you’re able to drive a turbo or V8, I would go for the nicest XR8 you can buy.
Old 30-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #12
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lucky man , I agree with Flappist buy a cheaper car first so any youthful insdiscretions are not going to be visited on a later model more valuabe car . 35 grand wow , I remember my first car , a $600 Hillman Imp , you've either worked very hard or have loving parents either way make the most of it and enjoy .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 08:52 AM   #13
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As per a few others here, save some $$$ and buy something cheaper as your first car .. the BF Fairmont sounds like a great first car .. and I've seen a few around owned by P-platers which look pretty cool even in the stodgy dark grey but with nice wheels and a nice tint ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #14
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$35k...... Geez? They don't want to adopt another son do they? I can be very loving also. Good luck to you though. I'd buy something nice for around $10-15k and save the rest for a house deposit. Or maybe spend the remainder on some shares? If you invest in the big banks and food (Coles/Woolworths) shares in Australia's dominated monopoly you'll never go wrong, and before you know it you'll be getting 10-15% annual returns.
Good luck though mate. I'd give my left nut to be in your position. Don't waste it!
Glen 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #15
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Hey Fairlaneman....
I agree with other suggestions that an older car is a better place to start for a 'first' car.
Also, I'd suggest doing a few sums on your insurance costs per year, as this may well
determine what sort of car you can afford to run.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #16
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about getting a pile of junk for your first car? What's with kids these days? They want to start off with the very best. Sorry, I'm just jealous! Either of those two would be awesome.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #17
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
What about getting a pile of junk for your first car? What's with kids these days? They want to start off with the very best. Sorry, I'm just jealous! Either of those two would be awesome.
No different to my day .. just more money and better cars available. When I started driving in 1987 all the cool, "rich" kids drove VK-VL Commodores maybe 3years old? No different to now really, except you get a lot more for you money these days ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #18
XRSEX
More money would be great

Quote:
Getting a half decent affordable car with ABS and TC is a good start for a youngin.

If i had spent a few grand for my first car like I did on my VT commodore, I would of had an airbag, traction control and ABS so I wouldnt of hit a tree like I did..

I know its a commodore but they can be had for around 5k, fairly safe cars.

Last edited by XRSEX; 30-11-2010 at 11:12 AM.
XRSEX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 11:29 AM   #19
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Here Here! i was in the same boat and had to buy and old bomb for my first car. (mazda 1500 sedan).

to the OP, if you are doing a lot of city driving, have you considered getting something like a mondeo or focus? they'd be easier to park too
Old 30-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #20
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

35k now thats a fair bit money to spend on a car at 17!
Im 17 aswell and i ended up buying an old subaru banger for $950, which is more a project than anything (ive got my reasons haha, shame ford didnt have anything like it, but its ok, i drive a BF wagon most of the time so im still in the ford family )

Driving a larger fairlane isnt that much of a hassle, you learn how to park it etc in no time, althought you need larger parking spaces. A BF xr6 would be somthing to look into since you dont like the euro styling of the FG.
But from what i can tell you seem to be inclined to the Fairlane, go and do some test drives of the Fairlane and then an XR6 (BF or FG) if your confident enough.
Remember to look out for any mismatched panels, discolouration, rust, leaks, patch ups etc etc and service history/logbooks also would be quite essential for the vehicle to have. People seem to be rolling kms back to charge more nowadays...
Some people say that being a p plater youd scratch it and bang it up, i beg to differ! But it could depend on how much you drive...
Good luck with it.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #21
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

I thought the 35000 was a typo untill i saw the FG XR6 part :|
God damn son wish my rents had that sorta money to splash on me! haha

Don't go a new car untill you've gone through some of what the road has to throw at you (loosing control, ect ect)
Get a older car, hell, for that amount of money you could buy an XB falcon and get it fully restored! I'm 18 and have a XC falcon ute
You'll never complain about fairlane parking again once you've tried parking my tank!

But go for a BA XR6 or something like that, even an AUIII tickford spec would be awesome! then next year after a full years driving, get a new car like the FG

Last edited by XCwillo; 30-11-2010 at 12:02 PM.
XCwillo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #22
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

BFII Fairmont Ghia, you can get them for less then 20 kay..

If you really want a Fairlane buy a BA G220 if you can (v8) and learn in that.. You can get them for 12-14 kay and they are pretty much identical to the last of the BF Fairlanes, except the gearbox.

Ive always wanted a G220 or G8... I reckon they are a great looking car.

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 30-11-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #23
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also think about insurance. What would insurance be on a $35,000 car for somebody who is 17 without any driving history ??
Whatever you get it MUST have at an absolute minimum Third party property

Oh...and welcome aboard... noticed this is your first post.
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #24
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I agree too with Flappist id it MUST be a new car.

But I don't understand the logic behind getting into this kind of debt on your first car. Sure the new ones have airbags etc... but if was me, I would be getting an XE-XF for cheap and have money left over to play with it. Learn how to do absolutely everything to it... The experience alone would be worth not having a new shiny car...

I think I must be getting old at 28!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #25
phil.50thxr6
White 50

Do what i done and get a xr50
phil.50thxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #26
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

Flappist is on the money again.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #27
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile

I would think a G6E could be had for that price range, and be a better purchase than a BF Fairlane.

But as has been mentioned. A B series for around the $8-10k mark would be a good starting point.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #28
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Get an older / cheaper car first, I've had a lot of country driving experience before I got my licence, and was pretty confident I wouldn't be plauged with the bumps and bruises others encounter in their first year of driving.... until I backed into my mates corolla and ripped the front bar off...

Start cheap, get something awesome a year or so later.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #29
EgoFalcon
The Villan

Seems to be a very 'touchy' subject. There are alot of opinions and you did ask for them so I will give mine.

My first car was a bf xr6, people saying get a banger for your first car. That to me is pointed towards people that don't give a dam about there cars. If you are sensible and can drive (we all know it, some people are not meant for driving) choose whatever you want.

Because I can have a say I am gonna go for BF XR6 Manual. If you want the car bad enough, you will be willing to wait for it.

Get your bf fairlaine (guessing 16-25k) and convert it to manual professionally. I don't recommend it but your parents are paying for it afterall *insert smiley face here*. And the value will probably decrease more then an auto.

There's my 3 cents worth.

The PX Ranger has arrived! XLT Metropolitean Grey

Previous Ride - 2007 BF MK II XR6 in Lightning Strike
EgoFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #30
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFalcon
Seems to be a very 'touchy' subject. There are alot of opinions and you did ask for them so I will give mine.

My first car was a bf xr6, people saying get a banger for your first car. That to me is pointed towards people that don't give a dam about there cars. If you are sensible and can drive (we all know it, some people are not meant for driving) choose whatever you want.

Because I can have a say I am gonna go for BF XR6 Manual. If you want the car bad enough, you will be willing to wait for it.

Get your bf fairlaine (guessing 16-25k) and convert it to manual professionally. I don't recommend it but your parents are paying for it afterall *insert smiley face here*. And the value will probably decrease more then an auto.

There's my 3 cents worth.
The problem is that there is no such thing as a car enthusiast who is does not believe they are an EXPERT driver.

Not only are all car enthusiasts expert drivers but they don't even have to learn to drive or get any experience on the road whatsoever.

They don't need to learn how other people can do just crazy things or how fast an oncoming vehicle is going regardless of its size or shape.

They don't need to learn how different weather or road surface conditions may affect how their vehicle reacts.

They never misjudge anything even by a millimetre and know exactly what to do, for example, on a blind corner in the rain or into the setting sun when truck appears coming the other way encroaching on their lane.

They know exactly the limits of their vehicle in all regards and can judge exactly what everyone else is going to do on the road at all times.

All of those things are just instinctive........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post