Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Vasectomy warning

MODS feel free to move this if you feel it belongs elsewhere

If you are contemplating a vasectomy you need some information most surgeon won't give you. There is a condition called post vasectomy pain syndrome that occurs in about 10% of cases usually between 5 and 10 years after the procedure. Here is my personal experience with PVPS

About November last year I experienced moderate pain and swelling on the right side I initially thought I had knocked it and it would come good. by December there was no change and I became concerned about cancer so I saw my GP.

After ultrasounds. Blood tests , and a CT scan with contrast and seeing a urologist I was given the all clear for cancer which was a huge relief but the pain and swelling had become worse. the urologist was at a loss as to the cause.

I an currently doing a nursing degree so I decided to research my symptoms ( which I now started to suspect were related to the vasectomy I had 8 years ago) I came across a number of journal articles relating to PVPS. I also found a number of sites started by men suffering with this condition.

I ended up with the number of a semi retired professor of micro surgery (Earl Owen)who had researched PVPS and had extensive experience in this field. he was happy to discuss my condition on the phone and it was a real eye opener. Some of the point he raised were

1. PVPS is not only not mentioned by most surgeons performing vasectomies It is often dismissed as irrelevant or non existent if the subject is raised

2. PVPS is quite distinct from the pain that can occur immediately after the vasectomy

3. As PVPS generally occurs 5 to 10 years ( but up to 20 years in rare cases) it is often not accurately diagnosed as vasectomy related pain

4. The pain associated with PVPS can vary from mild pain / discomfort to severe chronic debilitating pain in the worst cases

5. pain can become so severe that the patient becomes unable to sit for any period of time and normal relations with the patients partner becomes impossible due to pain

I went back to the urologist with my research and he agreed that I had PVPS but was unable to do the reversal as he is not a micro surgeon I ended up finding a suitably qualified surgeon ( prepared to do this on the public list) after wearing out my phone

I am on the waiting list for a vasectomy reversal ( the most effective treatment ) it took over 100 phone calls to get this done in the public system as I have no health insurance and I don’t have a spare 6.5K lying around.

I an currently doing less than ½ my normal work hours ( I work till the pain get unbearable then go home ) my partner is getting upset as one aspect of out relationship is non existent ( the vasectomy was my ex wife’s idea not hers) she feels I don’t find her attractive and finds it hard to understand how much pain I am in and how this kills desire. The right side is now twice the size of the left side and when I get home from work all I can do is lie down and take the pressure off. The only bright light on the horizon is the news that I have been moved up the waiting list and should have my surgery around the end of September instead of next year

This is not meant to scare you out of having a vasectomy but to give you all the information before you go ahead. There are risks involved that you surgeon may not warn you about and if you are one of the unfortunate few you will suffer as I am now ( imagine being kicked in that region constantly )

I would be happy to share my experiences with others who have the same symptoms PM me and I will send you my email

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 10-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
burnz
VFII SS UTE

thank for the heads up, 19 yrs no probs..
Old 10-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

I'm lookin into getting the procedure happening in the next 6 months...

I can get a referal, but I need to wait a little while - as I'm only 29yrs old....

Doctors don't like referring people when they're young... but it WILL be happening...
Old 10-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Thanks for the heads up. I've never heard of this condition, but it is good to know, as I am seriously contemplating this procedure very very soon.

I'd be keen to hear anyone else's experiences with vasectomies, either good or bad.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You're not wrong about no one telling you about PVPS. I did a lot of reading on the net before my vasectomy and read about it there, but the referring GP and surgeon didn't mention it at all.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
Old 10-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
MODS feel free to move this if you feel it belongs elsewhere

If you are contemplating a vasectomy you need some information most surgeon won't give you. There is a condition called post vasectomy pain syndrome that occurs in about 10% of cases usually between 5 and 10 years after the procedure. Here is my personal experience with PVPS

About November last year I experienced moderate pain and swelling on the right side I initially thought I had knocked it and it would come good. by December there was no change and I became concerned about cancer so I saw my GP.

After ultrasounds. Blood tests , and a CT scan with contrast and seeing a urologist I was given the all clear for cancer which was a huge relief but the pain and swelling had become worse. the urologist was at a loss as to the cause.

I an currently doing a nursing degree so I decided to research my symptoms ( which I now started to suspect were related to the vasectomy I had 8 years ago) I came across a number of journal articles relating to PVPS. I also found a number of sites started by men suffering with this condition.

I ended up with the number of a semi retired professor of micro surgery (Earl Owen)who had researched PVPS and had extensive experience in this field. he was happy to discuss my condition on the phone and it was a real eye opener. Some of the point he raised were

1. PVPS is not only not mentioned by most surgeons performing vasectomies It is often dismissed as irrelevant or non existent if the subject is raised

2. PVPS is quite distinct from the pain that can occur immediately after the vasectomy

3. As PVPS generally occurs 5 to 10 years ( but up to 20 years in rare cases) it is often not accurately diagnosed as vasectomy related pain

4. The pain associated with PVPS can vary from mild pain / discomfort to severe chronic debilitating pain in the worst cases

5. pain can become so severe that the patient becomes unable to sit for any period of time and normal relations with the patients partner becomes impossible due to pain

I went back to the urologist with my research and he agreed that I had PVPS but was unable to do the reversal as he is not a micro surgeon I ended up finding a suitably qualified surgeon ( prepared to do this on the public list) after wearing out my phone

I am on the waiting list for a vasectomy reversal ( the most effective treatment ) it took over 100 phone calls to get this done in the public system as I have no health insurance and I don’t have a spare 6.5K lying around.

I an currently doing less than ½ my normal work hours ( I work till the pain get unbearable then go home ) my partner is getting upset as one aspect of out relationship is non existent ( the vasectomy was my ex wife’s idea not hers) she feels I don’t find her attractive and finds it hard to understand how much pain I am in and how this kills desire. The right side is now twice the size of the left side and when I get home from work all I can do is lie down and take the pressure off. The only bright light on the horizon is the news that I have been moved up the waiting list and should have my surgery around the end of September instead of next year

This is not meant to scare you out of having a vasectomy but to give you all the information before you go ahead. There are risks involved that you surgeon may not warn you about and if you are one of the unfortunate few you will suffer as I am now ( imagine being kicked in that region constantly )

I would be happy to share my experiences with others who have the same symptoms PM me and I will send you my email

Well you did. But, thank you for the info. Truly helpful and something to really think about. Will the reversal actually stop the pain?

Good luck, and I hope it works for you.

As for your partner, I would take the same attitude with her during her special time. What period pain? I don't get it. Just kidding.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes a reversal Is the best treatment there are other treatments but not as effective or as permenant
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Well you did. But, thank you for the info. Truly helpful and something to really think about. Will the reversal actually stop the pain?

Good luck, and I hope it works for you.

As for your partner, I would take the same attitude with her during her special time. What period pain? I don't get it. Just kidding.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 10-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am planing on having it done in the next year or so

thanks for the valuable info will look into it a bit better than what i prob would have

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Not ever planning to get the snip, but thanks for making this information known to us.

Hope your reversal goes well.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 10-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #10
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

best of luck with your secondary op. hopefully fixes everything.. i will now not be getting a vasectomy... my nether regions hurt now just thinking of ur pain.

all the best.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got mine done in 1986 after the missus popped out our 3rd child.

The op was over in 30 mins and I caught the bus home.

Tested it out the same night .. never looked back since.

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #12
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brismike

you must have had a gentle doctor

all the guys i know that have hadit done could barely move the night it was done but yes the tested it the next night

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-08-2010, 02:46 AM   #13
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats the funny thing I had next to no pain after the op untill november last year about 8 years post op . glad your went well with no PVPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brismike

Rides:

Last edited by FGII-XR6; 11-08-2010 at 03:01 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #14
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

That's just nuts......

Strangers have the best candy.......
This user likes this post:
Old 11-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #15
bingoTE50
Steve

Have em out ,and put some steelies put in...

Nah ,seriously interesting info.I must say since I had mine about eight years ago I have been relatively tender on one side , apart from that it has be all right.
and for you guys who wonder what really is the difference , the analogy I use it is like comparing full cream milk to lite white....lol..
Old 11-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #16
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Had mine done 2 weeks ago, under a general, all went well, hardly any pain and 2 days of discomfort....stitches are just about gone now...

Craig
Old 11-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #17
StrokedXT
Banned

Why get a vasectomy anyway? Whats wrong with pulling out?
Old 11-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #18
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedXT
Why get a vasectomy anyway? Whats wrong with pulling out?

Um my 2 year old daughter is living proof that it doesnt always work....that's why although she loves her 11 year old brother....

Craig
Old 11-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYVYSS
Um my 2 year old daughter is living proof that it doesnt always work....that's why although she loves her 11 year old brother....
pulled out too late?
Old 12-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #20
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
pulled out too late?
Obviously.......but dont regret it...now had the snip its very much game on.

Craig
Old 12-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #21
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYVYSS
thats why ! my 17yr old loves his 10yr old brother who both love their 5yr old sister

Enough though I have done my job for Australia !
No more snip here I "come"
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 11-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #22
T1 Terry

Had mine done over 20 yrs ago, under a general anaesthetic in a private hospital, even got to stay in overnight, if you've got private health cover why not use it. The surgeon was the best there is, Dr Balgi in the Illawarra area. The cut was so small it didn't even need stitches. He warned me about the symptoms you are referring too but said he only tied the tubes going to the *****, left the other ends open to feely discharge. He said this was the most common cause of later complications and failures in reversal procedures due to pressure blow outs. I must admit that I tried mine to see if it still worked within 20mins of getting home, less than 4 hrs after the op, that made them a little tender but I have had absolutely no problems with any related symptoms since. Also did a nice backfire on a cheating wife and saved me thousands.

T1 Terry
Old 11-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #23
b2tf
not here much anymore

2 things come to mind here.

1) Isnt swelling down there a good thing?

2) Nobody will EVER be going near me when my pants are down and they have a knife or scalpel in their hands.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #24
rodderz

Just don't get that Irish circumcision doctor who slipped and got the sack
Old 11-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #25
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the part that is swolen is not the part where size matters and it is only one of them swolen. Remember the last time you were kicked there well imagine that 24/7
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
2 things come to mind here.

1) Isnt swelling down there a good thing?

2) Nobody will EVER be going near me when my pants are down and they have a knife or scalpel in their hands.

Rides:

Old 11-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #26
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you could get the missus to kiss them better!
Had mine done 5 years ago under local. Went to the gym on the way home, tested (should that be "testied") the equipment that night, and all been ok except another thing they don't tell you about, which is cysts. I have one about 15mm in diameter as a result of there being a lack of emptying.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 11-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #27
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone else find it funny that the topic of vasectomies is under "The Bar" section.
Maybe I am a bit infantile today, but it tickled my sense of humour
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 11-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #28
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
Does anyone else find it funny that the topic of vasectomies is under "The Bar" section.
Maybe I am a bit infantile today, but it tickled my sense of humour
Lucky it wasn't moved to the "Tools of the Trade" section!
Old 11-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #29
Rangas GTP

My mate had the snip after having 4 girls, gave up trying for the boy.
6 years on his missus rings him at work " Hunny Im pregnant ". I felt for him, the look on his face was total shock, his mind began playing games on him, Is she playing up?
Well tests at the doctors confirmed he was shooting again.
9 months on, another girl. Poor bastard. Hope this time the snip is 100%
Old 11-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #30
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Mine was my 40th birthday pressie, and one of the best pressies I've ever received.
The guy that did me was a "Mr", a heart and lung transplant professer (who did snips on the side for cash, and one of the very few that only made ONE incision (hence ONE stitch)
It was all over before he'd finished telling me about the new Jag he had on order.
In fact I was only missing from the Anglers bar for all up 90mins!
The discomfort was gone by my 4th pot, and though a "little tender" the next day, I was ready for action by that night.
What I'm trying to get across here is DO NOT be put off by one person's experience.
It's JUST a snip FFS!
I mean one in ten thousand dies from haemorrhaging getting a wisdom tooth out, but we still get the thing yanked if its aching?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Closed Thread