Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #1
gtfpv
GT

Angry Ohhh No !! I Bought Another Wheels Mag!!!

STUNG BY BIAS , ONCE AGAIN !!!
I'VE DONE IT AGAIN , FALLEN FOR WHEELS FRONT PAGE , ONLYTO BE DISSAPOINTED IN THIER BAGGING fpv , AND PRAISING HSV . sorry for the caps .

they praise the efforts, FPV have put into the new COBRA . then test it on not much more than a dirt track , and bag it for pulling a slower time than they have acheived in a boss 290 gt . at the same time making a point that the 290 has never been a match for the HSV competition engine . they said they acheived a 0 to 100km/hr time of 6.4 sec, in auto, and 14.5 sec 400m . not exactly performance car numbers now . then they kinda make referance to the weather , and area they tried to run this at.
flicking over a few pages i read about the new MALOO. NOTHING BUT PRAISE . . even with it's measly 500kg payload rating . the best thing though is its . staggering performance . 5.4 seconds to 100 . in a manual . then they have the hide to put brackets next to this ( ESTIMATED !!) WTF WTF WTF !!!
i new i shouldn't of bought this MAG !!! :

gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

one day you'll learn lol

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
McobraR
me may my mo

hmm saw that mag this morning to work. was gonna get it, but from what you just said, might pass lol. Hmmm, wonder why they tested it on a crap track.
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #4
Xitdxr
1.8 Turbo baby

mmm, i agree with you, wheels are getting worse. I hope Motor test the cars properly!
Xitdxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xitdxr
mmm, i agree with you, wheels are getting worse. I hope Motor test the cars properly!
Motor is published by the same company who publish Wheels - Australian Consolidate Press. Therefore expect Motor to distribute the same level of garbage as Wheels does.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 12:33 PM   #6
gtfpv
GT

Sorry , i must clarify . those numbers were acheived at fords you yangs proving ground. they claim the weather was patchy, and the time was limited to experiment with launch technique and manual shift points . they said they are looking forward to where they usually test cars at the ORAN PARK strip .
to me that is just another gimmick to sucker you in to buying thier next issue . F#^$% EM
Old 24-10-2007, 12:37 PM   #7
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
to me that is just another gimmick to sucker you in to buying thier next issue . F#^$% EM
They'll just put a big glossy pic of a cobra all crossed up at oran park on the cover and you'll forget your current anger and buy it
I always fall for that kind of thing.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 12:36 PM   #8
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wheels : Holden
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 12:43 PM   #9
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Thats okay, it'll make the owners happy when they're quicker than the "professional and experienced Wheels mag testers"
Old 24-10-2007, 12:44 PM   #10
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well the B series is an old model these days up agaisnt the new VE, and we've known for years about the 5.4 Boss performance, another 12kw wasn't going to do much more.

I don't really think it sounds quite as critical as your making it out to be, and, it also sounds like it wasn't tested in the most ideal weather conditions, which they did in fact disclose from what you seem to be saying.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 01:08 PM   #11
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Well the B series is an old model these days up agaisnt the new VE, and we've known for years about the 5.4 Boss performance, another 12kw wasn't going to do much more.

I don't really think it sounds quite as critical as your making it out to be, and, it also sounds like it wasn't tested in the most ideal weather conditions, which they did in fact disclose from what you seem to be saying.
With an extra 20nm available it should NOT be slower than the 290 (if they didn't have good conditions they shouldn't go publishing performance figures as they are irrelevant in comparisons to cars that were done under good conditions).
Old 24-10-2007, 01:23 PM   #12
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO_SP
(if they didn't have good conditions they shouldn't go publishing performance figures as they are irrelevant in comparisons to cars that were done under good conditions).
I doubt they have little choice given print deadlines, availability of car, test driver and track etc.

And 12kw/20nm in performance could easily be affected by weather, driving style/launch technique, tyre treads, tyre pressure, load weight, fuel on board etc.

There really isn't any way to get an exact figure unless you take the average of many drag way runs over many days, weeks and months with different drivers.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 12:59 PM   #13
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You had to post this now and not at 8.30 when I bought a copy. I havent read mine yet. Only bought it for the Cobra article aswell.

Wheels perfomane figure have always struggled against other magazines though. They used to struggle getting the 300kw GTS under the 14s bracket.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 01:14 PM   #14
Blonk
Iconoclast

Everyone knows the Boss 8 is slow. I would be suprised if anyone got under 14 seconds stock. The HSV are streets ahead in the V8 market, hence I drive an F6...

Runs away to put flame suit on :
Blonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 01:19 PM   #15
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonk
Everyone knows the Boss 8 is slow. I would be suprised if anyone got under 14 seconds stock. The HSV are streets ahead in the V8 market, hence I drive an F6...

The quick F6's were only in BF ZF form (haven't heard of any stock BaMkII's crack any good numbers). Unless your BaMkII is modded I wouldn't comment?

Infact in the February 05 edition of Motor (the mag that always gets better performance times) the BaMkII F6 Typhoon in excellent conditions only got a 6.40 0-100 and 14.64 0-400 (the Clubby in the test got a 5.83 0-100 and 14.01 0-400).

Last edited by 5.4 GT; 24-10-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old 24-10-2007, 01:33 PM   #16
billsta

Quote:
The quick F6's were only in BF ZF form (haven't heard of any stock BaMkII's crack any good numbers). Unless your BaMkII is modded I wouldn't comment?

Infact in the February 05 edition of Motor (the mag that always gets better performance times) the BaMkII F6 Typhoon in excellent conditions only got a 6.40 0-100 and 14.64 0-400 (the Clubby in the test got a 5.83 0-100 and 14.01 0-400).
Quickest BF Manual Phoon stock ran 13.1 at wsid few weeks back.
Quickest GTS I've heard has run a 13.0.....(not sure of tranny)
Old 24-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #17
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsta
Quickest BF Manual Phoon stock ran 13.1 at wsid few weeks back.
Quickest GTS I've heard has run a 13.0.....(not sure of tranny)
Yes but as I said the autos for the BF F6s are the quickest (heard of them cracking into the 12s at the tracks stock).

If we go by magazine times which this thread is all about then it's another story as i've shown with the BaMkII F6s time.
Old 24-10-2007, 01:41 PM   #18
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

Quote:

turbocorty got a 13.2 from his stock ba typhoon.. not too shabby if you ask me!!

and yea, i refuse to buy those magazines. the pictures on the front do make it hard but!!
Old 25-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #19
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Only a few months ago Motor or wheels tested manual GTS307 and manual BF Typhoon. Both punched out mid 5's and high 13's. GTS stopping the clock quicker and Typhoon have a larger terminal speed. And in gear acceleration the Typhoon creamed it!

Its been argued many time before, but I have owned both, BA GTP and now BF Typhoon, and however sounding the worse, the Typhoon is miles quicker.
Old 25-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #20
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Perhaps somebody with more time than me could search for the thread.
Old 25-10-2007, 01:22 PM   #21
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSF6
Only a few months ago Motor or wheels tested manual GTS307 and manual BF Typhoon. Both punched out mid 5's and high 13's. GTS stopping the clock quicker and Typhoon have a larger terminal speed. And in gear acceleration the Typhoon creamed it!

Its been argued many time before, but I have owned both, BA GTP and now BF Typhoon, and however sounding the worse, the Typhoon is miles quicker.
I have no problems with the BF F6s... its the BaMkIIs that are living off the BFs success that I have a problem with. The times recorded in any mag for the BaMkIIs have been miles off that of the BFs (the BFs being alot faster in any comparison). I have no idea why it's so, but it just is, the BFs are alot faster and the BaMkIIs seem like nothing to crow about except for their exploding clutches!!
Old 25-10-2007, 08:25 PM   #22
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have no problems with the BF F6s... its the BaMkIIs that are living off the BFs success that I have a problem with. The times recorded in any mag for the BaMkIIs have been miles off that of the BFs (the BFs being alot faster in any comparison). I have no idea why it's so, but it just is, the BFs are alot faster and the BaMkIIs seem like nothing to crow about except for their exploding clutches!!
You really do live your life a quarter mile at a time don't you.....

A manual BA2 is no different than a manual BF or BF2.

The ultra quick straight line accelleration under 100km/h i.e. in first, second ans into third that the auto F6s (and for that matter the auto XR6Ts) demonstrate is due to them not dumping their boost during gear changes, something that cant be done with a clutch.

On a circuit track the manuals are actually quicker than the autos. This has been demonstrated over and over again not only in magazines but also in the real world.
Why is this? A manual changes gear (down and up) when you tell it to and not when a computer says so and a clutch can be slipped exiting a corner.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 02:04 PM   #23
gtfpv
GT

Quote:

funny you say this . the boys at the fpv drive day i did , that were driving f6s . couldnt believe the GT's . WERE FASTER FROM STANDSTILL THAN THIER F6'S. and virtuall not much in it all round . only after 80 km's hr was there a differance.
Old 24-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #24
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
funny you say this . the boys at the fpv drive day i did , that were driving f6s . couldnt believe the GT's . WERE FASTER FROM STANDSTILL THAN THIER F6'S. and virtuall not much in it all round . only after 80 km's hr was there a differance.
Driver difference. The Ba series2 f6s were all expected to wallop everything at our drive day - twas funny when a series 1 manual gt-p was the quickest!
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 05:33 PM   #25
Blonk
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
Driver difference. The Ba series2 f6s were all expected to wallop everything at our drive day - twas funny when a series 1 manual gt-p was the quickest!
Maybe some of those F6 drivers have not long purchased it and are probably still re-learning to drive a turbo charged car and not just a big displacement, I would say if a GTP was faster there were a lot of lousy drivers around or the GT was on slicks, because as I said, the only ones I have seen that can boogie have a S/C strapped on to it.

I get embarresed for GT drivers that line up next to VE 8's and F6's..

Unfortunate but true. Hopefully with the orion will come the 330kw promised and might put them back in the game, but I believe the F6 will be entitled to the crown second model in a row..... Just my opinion and I may be wrong.
Old 24-10-2007, 05:47 PM   #26
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Maybe some of those F6 drivers have not long purchased it and are probably still re-learning to drive a turbo charged car and not just a big displacement, I would say if a GTP was faster there were a lot of lousy drivers around or the GT was on slicks, because as I said, the only ones I have seen that can boogie have a S/C strapped on to it.

I get embarresed for GT drivers that line up next to VE 8's and F6's..

Unfortunate but true. Hopefully with the orion will come the 330kw promised and might put them back in the game, but I believe the F6 will be entitled to the crown second model in a row..... Just my opinion and I may be wrong.
No it was not on slicks and it was stock as a rock. A few of the gts were modified too. The main arena a gt will lose is in a straight line fight.
Out in the real world, with a few corners, some big differences in driver ability, and how easy the car is to drive quickly will have a large impact. Motor and wheels tend to look at the hundredths of a second difference in this speed or that, rather than how easy the vehicle is to use by an average driver. Remember, average means half are worse, and half are better - of course we are always better drivers than average aren't we?
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 01:33 PM   #27
290v
290v

Did they go into the crash tests as the BA/BF got the same rating as the new VE so much for a safer car and another thing diffrent story thou on TV the Captive Diesal is 30% more economical than the Ford Territory but what about the fuel consumption of the Captive petrol it is a guzzler but they make reference to the Territory petrol not the Captive Petrol
290v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 02:59 PM   #28
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290v
...diffrent story thou on TV the Captive Diesal is 30% more economical than the Ford Territory but what about the fuel consumption of the Captive petrol it is a guzzler but they make reference to the Territory petrol not the Captive Petrol
I know what you mean, I get annoyed at that add all the time. Its like Holden hope people dont notice they're comparing Diesel to Petrol.

"Oh yeah, Captiva Diesel is more efficient than the Ford Territory!"
But.. the territory is petrol.. and a 6..
"Yeah, and the Captiva Diesel is more efficient!"
Yeah but.. its diesel and a 4..
"Yes, Captiva Diesel is is more efficient!"
What about Captiva V6 Petrol?
"...Captiva Diesel is more efficient than the Territory!"

I dont know why Holden is comparing the Captiva with the Territory, they're not even in the same class. But Holden wants to be competitive with the Territory, the car that has brought Ford so much success.

And about the Wheels magazine, yeah I stopped buying wheels ages ago. I found their bias was a little too much for me. I buy Streetmachine and Just Parts and leave it at that. The covers are pretty, but so are the ones on the girly mags on the top shelf all wrapped in plastic. But I dont buy those. Resist the temptation, and you wont be so dissapointed.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 01:39 PM   #29
Blonk
Iconoclast

Was much faster than a GT when stock, I know my mate bought a GTP at the same time I got mine. From standstill, F6 just faster till about 80k's then pull streets ahead through to speed limiter, in gear acceleration F6 lethally faster in any gear. After 1k mod to each, the F6 was in a different class.

Plus the F6's handle much better.

Simple choice really unless your into the sound they make when the take off...

The only GT I have seen that I would call performance has a S/C strapped onto it.
Old 24-10-2007, 05:43 PM   #30
BionicGT
Living in GT Nirvana

[QUOTE=Blonk]Simple choice really unless your into the sound they make when the take off...QUOTE]
That's at the top of my list ! :
BionicGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post