Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
MAD
Petro-sexual

Default This guy claims to have the solution to Melbourne's water crisis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzXrmioDk9U

A bit of a cheesy, Jeremy Clarkson wanna-be but if all the stuff he says is correct then the Vic gov has some splainin' to do.

Old 29-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Oh they have had explaining to do for some time, who knows the reasons for ignoring common sense.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw this a while ago, and it goes to show how inept our government is.
A fraction of the cost, long-term minimal pollution, and less salt being pumped out...

Oh sorry...that would make sense.
No, let's wee away more of your money to put something up that a lot of you oppose.

Thanks heavens there's an election this year. Mind you, I am more eager to vote Labor out than bring somebody else in. I don't see who else could do any better.

Victorian politics is not at its healthiest.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Victorian politics is not at its healthiest.
Show me a state where it is?

The grass isnt greener in any other state im sorry to say...

While we all continue to move to the capitol cities and breed and build massive new suburbs and encourage more people to move into them without thinking about infrastructure then the water crisis in AUSTRALIA will continue.

Brisbane wasted billions on a de-sal plant and a water pipeline to connect all there of their major dams...

Townsvilles damn once boasted a 5yr capacity, it now boasts at most 2yrs worth of water simply because the population has doubled in 20yrs and we havent increased capacity.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....

Last edited by Jim Goose; 29-05-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Dang, every time I try to watch that clip I get distracted by the swimsuit videos on the right.. :(
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #6
munkky
turbo mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Dang, every time I try to watch that clip I get distracted by the swimsuit videos on the right.. :(
me to lol hahahaha

2008 FG G6E TURBO
AND YES IT HAS A LSD
ORSM F.C.
munkky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzXrmioDk9U

A bit of a cheesy, Jeremy Clarkson wanna-be but if all the stuff he says is correct then the Vic gov has some splainin' to do.
The project has very good merit, I disagree with him about wasting water after it would be built. Water restrictions should have stayed in place after the water crisis in the 80's.
Old 29-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What really ****es me off about this whole water thing is that I live north of the Great Dividing Ranges, this inept Government has recently put a pipeline into the Goulburn River near Yea and is pumping water out of the Goulburn system to Melbourne.

1. The Gouldburn river catchment and the areas it runs through are still in the worst drought on record, so they are taking water from the driest part of the State to feed water to one of the wettests parts of the State - Melbourne.

2. The Goulburn river is the mouth of Eildon weir, Eildon is at it lowest levels in 10 - 15 years and has been at these levels continuously for the last 10 years, but the Government is taking water from it.

3. The water that heads down the Goulburn River meets the Murray River at Echuca, the Murray / Darling basin is in absolute crisis, yet the State Government with Peter Garrett approval is diverting water from what would normally end up in the Murray River to Melbourne, how in the hell did they get away with that little gem - some back room deal by Brumby and Rudd to get Victoria to sign on the National Water deal that Howard tried to broker and couldn't, but Rudd did - interesting.

4. The wettest part of Victoria would have to be Gippsland, even as far as Mallacoota in the east, the area down there has been inundated with floods a number of times in the last 10 - 15 year. Why hasn't the inept Victorian Government spent money and built dams down there to supply Melbourne, if they can pipe water over the Great Dividing Range, why can't they pump it along the flat coastline?

I am a Labor voter and I will NOT be voting for this Government this year!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2zEC...eature=related
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
What really ****es me off about this whole water thing is that I live north of the Great Dividing Ranges, this inept Government has recently put a pipeline into the Goulburn River near Yea and is pumping water out of the Goulburn system to Melbourne.

1. The Gouldburn river catchment and the areas it runs through are still in the worst drought on record, so they are taking water from the driest part of the State to feed water to one of the wettests parts of the State - Melbourne.

2. The Goulburn river is the mouth of Eildon weir, Eildon is at it lowest levels in 10 - 15 years and has been at these levels continuously for the last 10 years, but the Government is taking water from it.

3. The water that heads down the Goulburn River meets the Murray River at Echuca, the Murray / Darling basin is in absolute crisis, yet the State Government with Peter Garrett approval is diverting water from what would normally end up in the Murray River to Melbourne, how in the hell did they get away with that little gem - some back room deal by Brumby and Rudd to get Victoria to sign on the National Water deal that Howard tried to broker and couldn't, but Rudd did - interesting.

4. The wettest part of Victoria would have to be Gippsland, even as far as Mallacoota in the east, the area down there has been inundated with floods a number of times in the last 10 - 15 year. Why hasn't the inept Victorian Government spent money and built dams down there to supply Melbourne, if they can pipe water over the Great Dividing Range, why can't they pump it along the flat coastline?

Too right mate, we have/had the harshest water restriction's around when at the worst time of this ongoing drought but yet Melbourne was still on lower restriction's and still able to water lawn's/garden's and even wash car's, all our water was heading south to keep Melbournians happy while they stole our much needed water,
And then they have the cheek to complain about the cost of living etc going up and wonder why, Water is a huge resource to our Farmer's on the land, and they must try to make a living in this hard time, but as long as the garden's and lawn's look nice and green down in Melb what does that matter............
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #10
rodderz

Quote:

I heard some news the other week regarding the pipeline from a guy who services pumps. "Apparently", the pipeline is no longer operational, or if so very limited, as the pumps and pipes are severely damaged. The story goes the contractors working on it's contruction left their welding rods, tables and chairs, rubbish etc inside the pipes and was never cleaned out before it was all switched on. The result was a stuffed pump up near Kinglake or Toolangi somewhere, the bits also ate into the 12m lengths of pipe that from memory were 10 grand each or more?

Not sure how true it is, but the govt will cop it severely if it comes out as being accurate
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #11
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ahh my Bendigo brother, a person who does not have luxury of living on a river or in hilly country, we are more than happy to share our water with you and our bretheren in Ballarat.

What does that idiot Holding do a week after opening the pipeline from the driest part of the country, he puts Melbourne on Level 1 restriction, using our water to wash cars - thanks Tim, you idiot.
Old 29-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #12
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Ahh my Bendigo brother, a person who does not have luxury of living on a river or in hilly country, we are more than happy to share our water with you and our bretheren in Ballarat.

What does that idiot Holding do a week after opening the pipeline from the driest part of the country, he puts Melbourne on Level 1 restriction, using our water to wash cars - thanks Tim, you idiot.
Yes make's you wonder that's for sure.
Old 30-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #13
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Yes make's you wonder that's for sure.
Does make you wonder as melbourne has been on stage 3 for a number of years and cars are not washed, lawns are not watered and gardens can be on selected days and specific hours. You would also find that most here would Not know what the pipe line is all about. So do not know where you have your information from?

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 11:44 AM   #14
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Does make you wonder as melbourne has been on stage 3 for a number of years and cars are not washed, lawns are not watered and gardens can be on selected days and specific hours. You would also find that most here would Not know what the pipe line is all about. So do not know where you have your information from?
While we were on stage 4 with water that was near on undrinkable due to what was being added to it to make it safe. Gardens couldn't be watered at all and the prospect of trucking water in was very real.

We are still on stage 3.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #15
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG

We are still on stage 3.
Yes and so is Melbourne ..... not level 1 or able to wash cars etc. Always so bad for those in the country while those in the city live the high life. Just nice to be accurate.

But on the subject of piping water from Tassie. Not a bad idea and in the end probably cheaper and less impact that the desalination plant and especially the pipe line. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:

Yep, cheers for that.

We almost bloody ran out while Melbourne was crying poor because they were down to a 1/3 of capacity.

We were down to 5% ffs.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #17
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The water going to Bendigo and Ballarat is from the Goulburn too. No suprise that the Goulburn is in a safe Coalition seat and Ballarat & Bendigo are marginal seats.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #18
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
The water going to Bendigo and Ballarat is from the Goulburn too. No suprise that the Goulburn is in a safe Coalition seat and Ballarat & Bendigo are marginal seats.
I think the fact that we both almost ran out of water pushed aside the politics a little on this one.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #19
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
I think the fact that we both almost ran out of water pushed aside the politics a little on this one.
Really? The water that they got came out of a system that had almost ran out itself. The storeage levels at Lake Eildon and Waranga Basin were both extremely low at the time.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #20
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Really? The water that they got came out of a system that had almost ran out itself. The storeage levels at Lake Eildon and Waranga Basin were both extremely low at the time.
But it wasn't having to support 200k people was it?

Two of the largest regional centres Ballarat and Bendigo are, either running out of water would have been a slightly more serious issue.
Old 29-05-2010, 09:27 PM   #21
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems like a desent solution no wonder the goverment did not think of it
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #22
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

At our worst we were down to 3%.
Old 29-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #23
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
At our worst we were down to 3%.
Damn, that's near on silt showers.
Old 29-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #24
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

What you need to rememner though is that without Melbourne there's no Victoria, and therfore Melbourne is the most important part of the state. *end sarcastic rant*

But then, the other thing that needs to be explained (besides all of the above), is the fact that in a lot of councils if you apply for the rebate for having a water tank installed on your property, the water supplier in the area is then able to charge you for using the water you collect, because it's not water that can run off into their dams, so they can't charge you for it.

Honestly, common sense should come into it, those that actually NEED water should be given water from the areas that don't actually have a huge shortage in comparison.
Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #25
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotski
But then, the other thing that needs to be explained (besides all of the above), is the fact that in a lot of councils if you apply for the rebate for having a water tank installed on your property, the water supplier in the area is then able to charge you for using the water you collect, because it's not water that can run off into their dams, so they can't charge you for it.
I think you will find the tank thing has been overturned
Old 30-05-2010, 09:11 AM   #26
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lots of water and it can even do this..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94syGYcdGcU
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #27
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Quote:
I think you will find the tank thing has been overturned

Really? I'll get mum to look into it, she was getting uppity about it last week because she wants tanks on her land.
Cheers mate.
Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #28
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

Yep, we'll do the right things by showering with buckets under us so we can flush the toilet with the caught water, as well as using the kids bath water as the first rinse in the washing machine, then use the washing machine water for the garden....while the decision makers try to make themselves look good by building a desal plant.
Rob water from Country Vic rivers so they can drop their water restrictions in Melbourne, wash their cars (and concrete as some do!) and water their gardens.

Of course, they couldn't put water prices thru the roof if a pipe like this existed. No one will be laughing then.
Money Money Money... It's too easy to get bitter and angry at useless governments!
Old 30-05-2010, 12:25 PM   #29
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Transporting water across State borders will never secure Melbourne's water supply.

The politicians on the other side of the border can always turn off the tap when if suits them politically.

It has little to do with cost or engineering, it's about State politics.

Look at the problems getting the States to agree on what should be done about the Murray-Darling Basin!

Hands up who wants to nationalise water supply
Old 30-05-2010, 06:43 PM   #30
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse
Transporting water across State borders will never secure Melbourne's water supply.

The politicians on the other side of the border can always turn off the tap when if suits them politically.

It has little to do with cost or engineering, it's about State politics.

Look at the problems getting the States to agree on what should be done about the Murray-Darling Basin!

Hands up who wants to nationalise water supply

Vic gets electricity from other states, so as long as the money is there they will be happy to provide. Problem is how long before they begin to jack the price up. That's why if this were to happen, I wouldn't want to wasting water.