Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Finally a genuine "Police Special" from the NSW Cops

Apparently a one off to coincide with the 150th aniversary of the NSW Cops.

To quote a famous movie,
"It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant (not really but a 400kw motor going by the decals), it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks" Probably none of all that either but I reckon it looks the goods and would be a good collector car when they have finished with it.

Hopefully not coming to a rear vision mirror near you!!!!

5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: Finally a genuine "Police Special" from the NSW Cops

why the need for 400kw in a cop car?
Old 21-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Why not?
Old 21-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72 View Post
Why not?
Playing the devil's advocate here.
What advantage does the increase in power (who paid for that? ) have over the current GT R-spec for a highway patrol car?
What can this car do that the current HWP cars cannot as part of a standard HWP officer's duties?
Does it not also go against the speed kills mantra that is being drilled into everyone right now?
Old 21-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
What advantage does the increase in power (who paid for that? ) have over the current GT R-spec for a highway patrol car?
What can this car do that the current HWP cars cannot as part of a standard HWP officer's duties?
Does it not also go against the speed kills mantra that is being drilled into everyone right now?

More power doesn't mean that you need to speed so I think they are 2 totally different things.

Also, I think the decay of society can partly be attributed to this notion of an 'even level'. What I mean by that is the notion that if I can't do it, why can the police? It's called authority. If you want to be able to speed with flashing lights, put in the hard yards and become a part of the police force.

It's a similar argument when kids aren't happy that they can't do the same things as their parents. Suck it up. My kids know what "do as I say, not as I do" means.

Same as complaining about a politician's perks; umm.....become a politician....anyone can!

Same at work. The plebs complain that the boss isn't doing the menial tasks like they are. Stiff. Instead of whinging all day about your rights, how about you put that energy into progressing yourself.

All these are different example but all come done to one thing that is prevalent these days: Disrespecting authority.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2monty View Post
More power doesn't mean that you need to speed so I think they are 2 totally different things.

Also, I think the decay of society can partly be attributed to this notion of an 'even level'. What I mean by that is the notion that if I can't do it, why can the police? It's called authority. If you want to be able to speed with flashing lights, put in the hard yards and become a part of the police force.

It's a similar argument when kids aren't happy that they can't do the same things as their parents. Suck it up. My kids know what "do as I say, not as I do" means.

Same as complaining about a politician's perks; umm.....become a politician....anyone can!

Same at work. The plebs complain that the boss isn't doing the menial tasks like they are. Stiff. Instead of whinging all day about your rights, how about you put that energy into progressing yourself.

All these are different example but all come done to one thing that is prevalent these days: Disrespecting authority.
As I said, devil's advocate.
I don't care what car they drive but it does raise some questions that I highlighted.
I brought this up because the same questions I asked other members had done so in the thread about Porsche donating a Panamera to the NSW police force. There were comments like waste of tax payers money (when not a cent was paid), what is the point, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk
Why does anyone need a 400kw street car?
Apples and oranges.
Old 23-12-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
BOSSGT
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2monty View Post
more power doesn't mean that you need to speed so i think they are 2 totally different things.

Also, i think the decay of society can partly be attributed to this notion of an 'even level'. What i mean by that is the notion that if i can't do it, why can the police? It's called authority. If you want to be able to speed with flashing lights, put in the hard yards and become a part of the police force.

It's a similar argument when kids aren't happy that they can't do the same things as their parents. Suck it up. My kids know what "do as i say, not as i do" means.

agree with you 100 %
BOSSGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In case you missed the part where its the NSW Police 150th Aniversary...
Its a one off??

All the services have done it... its called "promotional" duty.

But hey lets keep going with the cop bashing that goes on here continually

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose View Post
In case you missed the part where its the NSW Police 150th Aniversary...
Its a one off??

All the services have done it... its called "promotional" duty.

But hey lets keep going with the cop bashing that goes on here continually

Ready my post, particularly around the "devil's advocate" part?
Point me to the part where I was "cop bashing?"
Old 21-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Now the coppers will clean up at the illegal Saturday night street races,
gotta do something now that all the brown paper bags are gone....
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72 View Post
Why not?
Because the NSW spends millions of taxpayers dollars promoting the "speed kills" mantra so they can gouge motorists... A 400kW cop car (that cost in excess of $100K and will be museum piece in 2yrs) confuses this issue. It's almost hypocritical.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #12
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69 View Post
Because the NSW spends millions of taxpayers dollars promoting the "speed kills" mantra so they can gouge motorists... A 400kW cop car (that cost in excess of $100K and will be museum piece in 2yrs) confuses this issue. It's almost hypocritical.
get over it
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's a marked police car, what better deterrent is there?
Old 26-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #14
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
It's a marked police car, what better deterrent is there?
For that price (as quoted in the Daily Tele)?

Two marked cop cars. That will be in service for longer than 2 yrs.
Old 26-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #15
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
$150k buys:

1) a short television ad campaign.
2) a speed camera (installed)
3) a couple of promotional events a the royal easter show etc.
4) a couple of low level "civilian" assistants for 1 year.
5) 150 glocks or 75 glocks with training.
6) 100 tasers.
7) one PR person to appear on "a current sunday morning today minutes" for most of a year.

OR

A very high profile marketing tool that attracts attention from the target market even when it is just sitting in a cop shop car park.

It was an absolutely brilliant marketing idea and has not only already drawn attenton to the subject of highway safety from main stream media but upset lots of idiots and wowers thus setting up a totally free secondary stream of publicity that will keep this vehicle in the social media for much longer than they would have achieved by almost any other means.

I am starting to suspect that the advertising companies have analysed social media and forums and have discovered that all they need to do is push the right buttons and self appointed super heros, saviours of the universe and keepers of the truth justice and the <insert cult here> way will arc up in all directions with a plethora of outrage, umbridge and ERMAGERD!!!!!!!!
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #16
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
$150k buys:

1) a short television ad campaign.
2) a speed camera (installed)
3) a couple of promotional events a the royal easter show etc.
4) a couple of low level "civilian" assistants for 1 year.
5) 150 glocks or 75 glocks with training.
6) 100 tasers.
7) one PR person to appear on "a current sunday morning today minutes" for most of a year.

OR

A very high profile marketing tool that attracts attention from the target market even when it is just sitting in a cop shop car park.

It was an absolutely brilliant marketing idea and has not only already drawn attenton to the subject of highway safety from main stream media but upset lots of idiots and wowers thus setting up a totally free secondary stream of publicity that will keep this vehicle in the social media for much longer than they would have achieved by almost any other means.

I am starting to suspect that the advertising companies have analysed social media and forums and have discovered that all they need to do is push the right buttons and self appointed super heros, saviours of the universe and keepers of the truth justice and the <insert cult here> way will arc up in all directions with a plethora of outrage, umbridge and ERMAGERD!!!!!!!!
$150K also buys an XR6T and 1.5 fully trained police officers....
Old 26-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #17
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

...so, the police shouldn't have a goodwill gesture towards car enthusits?

You'ld have to be an idiot to assume that having a 400ke car goes against the speed kills agender...

The police force are showing the public that they are not against people whi love their cars.

Take the police bashing nosense elsewhee.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #18
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
...so, the police shouldn't have a goodwill gesture towards car enthusits? .
I absolutely agree they should.

But I'll ask: why should it take a special car for this to happen? Why can't cops mingle in a friendly manner - even out of uniform - amongst enthusiasts at drags/meets/shows - it shouldn't take an 'out there' car for this to happen. Should it?
Old 26-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #19
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I would rather this money go to a police car, than to a centerlink bum, who will blow it on smokes and alcohol.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #20
Warrenk

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto View Post
Waste of taxpayer money, then again what's new.
More than likely the money they get for it when it is sold will be more than the cost of the car the police would have paid(government price, no gst, no luxury car tax etc). So they probably will make money on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Apparently its had a bit of work done to it, after market exhaust etc. Interesting!
I wonder if it still ADR compliant with emmisions, exhaust db etc?

Regardless if has too much HP or whatever it does or does not do, as a postive public relations exercise it will be great for th NSW police force. It will probably even make it onto that tv show that features the NSW Police(The Force?)

There will always be people who complain and whinge about positive PR goverment departments try to do.

Now one of the Sydney AFF members should contact the Highway Patrol to convince them to bring it out to the drags one night as a PR exercise for there 150 year celebrations.

Warren
Old 21-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #21
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
What does it matter? Some people like a fast streetcar, that they can drive to the drags and run a 11-10 sec 1/4mile in a modem day Turbo or Supercharged G-Range

Anyway, back o/t, I really like the idea. Good marketing for Ford too... Wouldn't mind being pulled over by it either...
Old 21-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #22
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon View Post
What does it matter? Some people like a fast streetcar, that they can drive to the drags and run a 11-10 sec 1/4mile in a modem day Turbo or Supercharged G-Range

Anyway, back o/t, I really like the idea. Good marketing for Ford too... Wouldn't mind being pulled over by it either...
Sorry if you can't understand sarcasim. In future I will respond in simple english for you.
Old 21-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #23
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Looks awesome! Would love that as a work car....
Old 22-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #24
XT302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post

I wonder if it still ADR compliant with emmisions, exhaust db etc?

should be if this is correct

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hM3I86hPJA
Old 21-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #25
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Quote:
Yeah would be better if they drove i30's.
Old 21-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #26
Maggot
Half an aussie garage!!

Quote:
here in perth .. we once had a lambo get away with speeding (in court) simply because the cops couldn't catchem.. and I would much rather see this than the coppers driving an imprezza or anything else fully imported for that matter.
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #27
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

because they need to be able to keep up with the criminal scum who try to run
Quote:

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #28
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

noice.
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #29
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

So - is that 'actually' part of the new R-Spec production run?

Or is it just a made up car?
Old 21-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #30
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Apparently its had a bit of work done to it, after market exhaust etc. Interesting!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post