Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
MAD
Petro-sexual

Default How moronic can you be?

Picked up twice in the same night for drink driving, and excessive speeding on the second.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/dr...0214-nyzl.html

Old 15-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
andrewts
White Car Driver

In a Hold Commodore. lol

But seriously, he's just asking for it...
Old 15-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
Kryton

What have you got to lose?
Your license is already gone and your still drunk......
Think about it for a second.
If you dont care enough to start with and are willing to hope in and drive a car whilst drunk, do you really believe that a loss of license is going to stop someone from continuing to drive?

The chances of being caught twice is remote too, that would have been part of his decision to drive again.

Not trying to defend his actions but if you want to understand the psychology of a drink driver, then thats about it.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drag them out the car.. Then burn it on the spot.. That'll learn 'em..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Drag them out the car.. Then burn it on the spot.. That'll learn 'em..
How will that "learn em"?
what if the car isnt theirs?
what if they didnt know they were over the limit?
Do you know exactly how much you can drink before you are .05?

Having your car burnt for something like that is just stupid.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway

Sound's like you like driving other people's car's ****ed.. :
Old 15-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway

He did know the second time he was caught.

Someone with a alcohol level of 0.178 knows they are intoxicated, lets not make excuses for the pratt.

Don't burn his car, it may be someone elses, just lock him up for the night until he is below 0.05 and then send him on his way with no license and impound the car until a responsible adult can pick it up.
Old 15-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Don't burn his car, it may be someone elses, just lock him up for the night until he is below 0.05 and then send him on his way with no license and impound the car until a responsible adult can pick it up.
I'm pretty sure that we're all adults here and Pottery Beige did have his tongue pressed firmly in his cheek when suggesting we burn the car on the spot...

Certainly when you're .178 you do know you're over .05 - so there'd be a good chance the driver KNEW he was breaking the law the second he turned the key...

Impounding the car should certainly be mandatory for any drink driver, .051 and above... I can't see how a hoon and a drunk driver are any less dangerous... get them both off the road once they're caught...

Certainly getting caught a second time is ridiculous and proves that the guy was blatanly ignoring the law, and police previous requests... etc...

Impounding the vehicle would not have stopped him being caught the second time anyways...

Think about this though... he was picked up at 0.178 and nearly 4 hours later he blew over .05 at the breatho... (reduction of .12 over nearly 4 hours)...
does that mean that he'd been drinking AGAIN in that time?? I'm not sure of the rate that your BAC% reduces...
Old 15-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Unlucky!!

Alcohol has a good way of clouding ones decision making process'....

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #10
Falcman0o7
Banned

ANYONE who drinks and drives is a COMPLETE @#$%HEAD.

No excuses.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #11
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still don't understand how i can be totally sober but for a minor indescretion lose my car on the back of a truck. Where as some DH can be totally parro get caught DUI get processed then head straight back behind the wheel of his death machine.
Old 15-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #12
braddyxe51
cortyboy

Quote:
I still don't understand how i can be totally sober but for a minor indescretion lose my car on the back of a truck. Where as some DH can be totally parro get caught DUI get processed then head straight back behind the wheel of his death machine.
That is very good point.

Lost mine for a months for being on street out front of my house. Both my self and car unlic but it didnt matter that I was driving from a trailer to driveway. Judge said I should have been on the street.
There was no speeding or drinking involed in either of my mishaps.
braddyxe51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #13
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
you have no idea how much that exact thing angers me, if nothing else this really goes to show how much media beat up of hoons is out of line, and how the pollies who push the legalisation thru need their heads cubed.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #14
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
The law to impound the DUI car will never happen. Because politicians and lawyers are likely to DUI themselves.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #15
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The injustice is 'mind boggling'.
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #16
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7

No excuses.
Damn Straight!!
Old 15-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #17
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Someone that blows 0.178 will definitely blow over 0.05 4 hrs later, the body can not metabolise and eliminate that much alcohol that quickly. Impounding the car would not have stopped the second offence, that is true, but locking him up would have.

Sorry, but I have no sympathy nor caring for these fools, lock em up for the good of the rest of society. The good part is he will probably get jail time now with two DUI offences and dangerous driving in one night, judge is going to dance on his head.
Old 15-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #18
XF Falcon
[FORCED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7

No excuses.
What if your wife is about to give birth, and you are in a remote town and you need to drive really fast to get to the hospital, and your wife refuses to drive as she is about to pop at any moment!!!!????? :P ;)
Old 15-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #19
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by XF Falcon
What if your wife is about to give birth, and you are in a remote town and you need to drive really fast to get to the hospital, and your wife refuses to drive as she is about to pop at any moment!!!!????? :P ;)
What if there was a large metorite speeding towards your house and you had to escape before your town got turned into the new Wolf Creek crater?

That is what ambulances are for, call 000. At worst they can talk you through the delivery on the phone while paramedics arrive, it's not hard and it is not life threatening.
Old 15-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That is what ambulances are for, call 000. At worst they can talk you through the delivery on the phone while paramedics arrive, it's not hard and it is not life threatening.
So you call 000. A moron who has no idea whatsoever gets totally confused that you are not in a brisbane suburb and despite you explaining EXACTLY where you are even giving a GPS lat and lon replies "we can't use that, can to tell me the nearest street corner and whether you are on the north or south side of the river".
You then start from scratch explaining in great detail how to get to your location from the nearest ambo station and they reply "we need the exact address so the system can find the nearest ambulance".

You give up, press the button on your EPIRB, US Coastguard receives the message, passes it on to Canberra who pass it on the the helicopter rescue who fly to your position and then contact the ambulance who while only being 30km away have taken over 3 hours to respond and require someone to go and meet them to guide them in.......

P.S. This is not a made up story, it actually happened on the 16th Jan this year....

P.P.S. The ambos are not the problem, they can only go to where they are told when they are told, it is the almost totally incompetent 000 system....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #21
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yet another thread about an incompetent driver..................
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #22
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl
Yet another thread about an incompetent driver..................
Yeah getting tiresome
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #23
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
So you call 000. A moron who has no idea whatsoever gets totally confused that you are not in a brisbane suburb and despite you explaining EXACTLY where you are even giving a GPS lat and lon replies "we can't use that, can to tell me the nearest street corner and whether you are on the north or south side of the river".
You then start from scratch explaining in great detail how to get to your location from the nearest ambo station and they reply "we need the exact address so the system can find the nearest ambulance".

You give up, press the button on your EPIRB, US Coastguard receives the message, passes it on to Canberra who pass it on the the helicopter rescue who fly to your position and then contact the ambulance who while only being 30km away have taken over 3 hours to respond and require someone to go and meet them to guide them in.......

P.S. This is not a made up story, it actually happened on the 16th Jan this year....

P.P.S. The ambos are not the problem, they can only go to where they are told when they are told, it is the almost totally incompetent 000 system....
Scary...

Thankfully you're still with us to tell the tale...

Old 16-02-2010, 10:33 AM   #24
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Holly crap batman, 1 bad call out of the 1.8m ambulance dispatches in QLD this financial year, thats it, burn the system.

I would like to know your source of information as the ambulance service can use lat/long, I can bring it up on my system at any time, how do you think they guide the rescue helicopter (it does not follow roads), how do you think we find remote tracks in 4WD ambulances. If you had true knowledge on this subject you would know not to believe everything in the Courier Mail. If it did occur as stated, I would suggest there would be a call taker, dispatcher and coms centre supervisor that are now out of work. I bet the article never gave a direct transcript of the call from the voice tapes.

In the meantime while they are sorting the location a senior clinician is taking the person through the safe delivery of a child.I have said it before and I will say it again, child birth is not life threatening and I could talk someone through it safely, as could any paramedic. Only in rare circumstances are there life threatening complications and any couple that have had correct assessments during the pregnancy will know if these are likely (placenta previa, twins, breech, pre-eclampsia etc), and in remote areas they probably will not be at home.

The chance of dying in a car that is being driven by a stressed out drunk at 170 km/h are much higher than the chances of dying during child birth. Once upon a time people used to have babies at home with no medical help, how did they survive?
Old 15-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #25
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
He did know the second time he was caught.

Someone with a alcohol level of 0.178 knows they are intoxicated, lets not make excuses for the pratt.

I thought that was standard procedure. Or was that a few years ago?

Quote:
If you are in those circumstances, DONT GET DRUNK. There is a certain responsibilty that comes with being a parent. The standard that has been advised is 2 standard drinks in the 1st hour followed by 1 standard drink every hour after that. It was originally 3 drinks in the first hour, but then amended to take into account different body weights, metabolisms etc.

If you have an expected birth, a child who may have special needs, live remotely, or any other factor that may require you to drive unexpectedly, you can follow the above formula. If you get drunk and then drive for whatever reason, you deserve whatever you get.

I could go on, my family has been affected by a drink driving tragedy. I have no sympathy for drink drivers regardless of the excuse. There isn't one that could ever justify these actions.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #26
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XF FALCON
If you are in those circumstances, DONT GET DRUNK. There is a certain responsibilty that comes with being a parent. The standard that has been advised is 2 standard drinks in the 1st hour followed by 1 standard drink every hour after that. It was originally 3 drinks in the first hour, but then amended to take into account different body weights, metabolisms etc.

If you have an expected birth, a child who may have special needs, live remotely, or any other factor that may require you to drive unexpectedly, you can follow the above formula. If you get drunk and then drive for whatever reason, you deserve whatever you get.

I could go on, my family has been affected by a drink driving tragedy. I have no sympathy for drink drivers regardless of the excuse. There isn't one that could ever justify these actions.
My tip would be call an ambulance...

Last edited by RedHotGT; 15-02-2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: quoted wrong person
RedHotGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #27
braddyxe51
cortyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
My tip would be call an ambulance...
Or even the local cop if there isnt a hospatail near by.
braddyxe51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #28
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe I don't get it. Do people NEED to get drunk? Can people not go without a drink for a couple of weeks. Well, you can have a drink, just know when to stop. It isn't hard FFS.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #29
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddyxe51
Or even the local cop if there isnt a hospatail near by.
Thats the problem, so many good options yet people will spend more time and effort trying to justify breaking the law.

Quote:
Maybe I don't get it. Do people NEED to get drunk? Can people not go without a drink for a couple of weeks. Well, you can have a drink, just know when to stop. It isn't hard FFS.
You are not alone, I don't get it either. I have not been drunk in years and I can not say I have missed it. Perhaps my perspective has changed since having to deal with alcohol related violence and road trauma so much, or perhaps I just grew up.

Quote:
If it happened in the NT there wouldn't have been a second offence because you get locked up until you are sober
Makes perfect sense to me, how can they be proven to be drunk and then released from the station still intoxicated onto the streets. I see a failing in the duty of care. We attend intoxicated people frequently but we either have to ensure they are delivered to a place of safety with competent supervision or at hospital, we can not let them go under their own devices. It is called "duty of care" and I have to suggest that the police have failed both the intoxicated person and the public in their duty of care.

No intoxicated person should be released from police custody unless they are released into the care and responsibility of a competent adult. If that competent adult allows that person to drive again and they are caught, there should be a charge for that person also. Either that or stay in the watch house until they are sober.
Old 15-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #30
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Well that makes sense mate, Put yourself, your wife and your NEW BABY at risk as well as others on the road. Also you being a bit nervous about it all wouldn't help. :
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post