Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile New Ford Taurus. Its Not Rocket Science..

http://www.ford.com/cars/taurus/rocketscience/
I know this should be in the video section..not everyone goes there...sorry..
Ecoboost with twin turbos's.....

Old 27-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Ford Taurus. Its Not Rocket Science..

No it can stay here. This is an indication of some of the technology the 2017 Falcon may present.

And just looking at the whole site, the twin turbo AWD 270kw model looks GREAT, much better than any of the previous I have seen.

If it were available here in RHD I suspect it would give both the FG2 and and VF some serious competition.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
No it can stay here. This is an indication of some of the technology the 2017 Falcon may present.
2017 Falcon?
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
WPR1

Looks great I wouldn't mind one of these.
WPR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
Rodge
Banned

272 Kw's and 469 nm's and they call that Super High Output (SHO). Creative marketing anyone ?

Dunno about others but I can't say I'm holding my breath in eager anticipation for this.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That site would get pulled down before it went up in Oz because it shows "dangerous" driving at speed...
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

It has been posted before, but like Rodge said, it falls down in the torque department compared with the I6T. I wonder if that NASCAR driver would like to do the same hot lap in an XR6T?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
It has been posted before, but like Rodge said, it falls down in the torque department compared with the I6T. I wonder if that NASCAR driver would like to do the same hot lap in an XR6T?
It is 3.5L compared to the I6 4L so Nm/litre it is not bad actually about the same as the FG2 XR6T while using the same ratio would be equivalent to 310kw.

It also demonstrates a LOT more torque than the 5.0 Mustang GT.

Why do some many get so defensive and paranoid about this?

If the current design Falcon is actually discontinued in 2017 surely this would be a contender for its replacement.
3 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The torque has been deliberately limited due to the limitations of the FWD/AWD gearbox.
In F150 the V6 Ecoboost's torque is increased to 420 lb ft ( 565mn) but is still limited by the RWD gearbox.

Judging by the 2.0 Ecoboost's output, the V6 Ecoboost should be easily capable of 313 kw and 617 nm
as a base line available from the factory.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
It is 3.5L compared to the I6 4L so Nm/litre it is not bad actually about the same as the FG2 XR6T while using the same ratio would be equivalent to 310kw.

It also demonstrates a LOT more torque than the 5.0 Mustang GT.

Why do some many get so defensive and paranoid about this?

If the current design Falcon is actually discontinued in 2017 surely this would be a contender for its replacement.
V6 + no manual = no soul

I'd much rather drive around in a manual AU I6 with 100kw less than one of those grossly overweight SUV-sedan things that reeks of America.

I'm looking to upgrade from AU1 manual ute to FH XR6T manual ute in 2015/16. This Taurus will be a step backwards in my view, and I'm sure many Ford enthusiasts share my view. I'd rather a V6 commodore even and that's saying something!
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Next gen Taurus will be on sale by then so its a bit hard to say.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
2017 Falcon?
So you think that in 2016 if/when the current design finishes that Ford are going to completely ignore this section of the market?

Why not keep the Falcon name alive by attaching it to a new platform with all the latest technology.

Wouldn't it be nice to see Falcon in the top 3 sellers again.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
Next gen Taurus will be on sale by then so its a bit hard to say.
Probably will, but anyone who saw a 2008 Falcon got a pretty good idea what the 2013 one would look like.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Next gen Taurus will be completely different to what we see now though
Old 27-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #14
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
So you think that in 2016 if/when the current design finishes that Ford are going to completely ignore this section of the market?

Why not keep the Falcon name alive by attaching it to a new platform with all the latest technology.

Wouldn't it be nice to see Falcon in the top 3 sellers again.........

Probably will, but anyone who saw a 2008 Falcon got a pretty good idea what the 2013 one would look like.
A name is more than a name - it represents a particular type of car. I would refuse to acknowledge a Thai built Ford with a Falcon badge on it as anything but an imposter.

Last edited by Resurrection; 27-04-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
The engine doesn't lack any torque, the F150 EcoBoost has 270kw/570Nm. It's torque is detuned in the Taurus because of the powertrain.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #16
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
The engine doesn't lack any torque, the F150 EcoBoost has 270kw/570Nm. It's torque is detuned in the Taurus because of the powertrain.
Dont let the truth get in the way of the haters now
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #17
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

and the driver isnt wearing a helment.. oh lordy..
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #18
nstg8a

I think the next gen Taurus, if the rumours are correct, will be a good replacement if its going to be the large global car for ford.
I just hope we at least get local assembly if the fh/fu is indeed the last true Aussie falcon.

So many people dismiss Taurus purely based on the last one to be sold here.

But for Taurus to be the falcons replacement there needs to be a rhd version made somewhere, and ford will have a handy facility sitting idle if falcon is no more.

But would the buying public accept it as a falcon, or does it actually have more chance of success being called something else?

I Personally believe the falcon nameplate has become toxic, and its time for it to be retired.
There is always that negativity associated with falcons, and cars like the r spec and eb/ecolpi cars show that no matter how good a car they are, people don't care anymore.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #19
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The whole reason for continuing to offer a RWD Falcon in Australia is because of its perceived need over a FWD/AWD Taurus but
no one can blame people for asking the question when Ford offers a great RWD Falcon but very few people elect to buy it new..

If no one much buys new Falcons then all those cheap second hand ones eventually dry up...
Old 27-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It`s probably a decent car, but if it is torque limited at 4xx nm whatever to preserve the driveline, you would think it wont be any fun at all to mod(well it will while it lasts), especially having the drive at the wrong end, ........less torque............ 100 kg`s heavier in the SVO offering(facial twitch happening), no 8 cylinder option (double face palm).
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #21
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
It`s probably a decent car, but if it is torque limited at 4xx nm whatever to preserve the driveline, you would think it wont be any fun at all to mod(well it will while it lasts), especially having the drive at the wrong end, ........less torque............ 100 kg`s heavier in the SVO offering(facial twitch happening), no 8 cylinder option (double face palm).
This Taurus goes away in around 18 months time replaced by a Fusion/Mondeo based one
with Ecoboost V6 and upgraded AWD transmission. That car is around the same weight as the Falcon
Old 27-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #22
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most east west transmission layouts seem to be torque limited, be it AWD or FWD so even the next model could be torque limited.

But then so are the Falcons, even the NA I6's are torque tagged to save the gearbox.
Old 27-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #23
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
This Taurus goes away in around 18 months time replaced by a Fusion/Mondeo based one
with Ecoboost V6 and upgraded AWD transmission. That car is around the same weight as the Falcon
okies, we waits an sees !
Old 27-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #24
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really?

So any car that has been electronically limited to preserve the driveline would be no fun to mod?

Bugger

So what happened with every single B and F series turbo or V8 as every single one of them has been torque limited?

As was my datto.

As is I suspect most, if not all, SS/HSVs

USA is a very litigious society. Even some guns have safety instructions and disclaimers engraved into the barrels (Ruger). I suspect the SHO will do alright....
2 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #25
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really?

So any car that has been electronically limited to preserve the driveline would be no fun to mod?

Bugger

So what happened with every single B and F series turbo or V8 as every single one of them has been torque limited?

As was my datto.

As is I suspect most, if not all, SS/HSVs

USA is a very litigious society. Even some guns have safety instructions and disclaimers engraved into the barrels (Ruger). I suspect the SHO will do alright....
not at all , but if i`m not mistaken it has a much lower tolerance than any of our models so would require more work needed to beef it up, and being east west engine would require much more painful work to beef up if it is the transmission, please correct me if i`m wrong, as it is much easier in a conventional layout car to do beef up mods.
Old 27-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #26
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
not at all , but if i`m not mistaken it has a much lower tolerance than any of our models so would require more work needed to beef it up, and being east west engine would require much more painful work to beef up if it is the transmission, please correct me if i`m wrong, as it is much easier in a conventional layout car to do beef up mods.
You get all this from a number in a brochure?

Firstly next time you think that east west could lot possibly be quick try and catch one of the euro rockets or a WRX/EVO.

If what you are saying is that it will not be cheap to wind it up to 10,000kw when it is 10 years old and has 200,000 km on it then I cannot see any issue with that at all.

I am sure there was just as much misunderstanding when the idea of fuel injection and computers were proposed to replace carburetors and distributors as it would be "too difficult to change anything like jets and a cam".

I can understand that there are some vehemently opposed to the whole idea and if so they have the choice of not buying one.
But as there is NOT going to be a RWD sedan similar to the current Falcon, what do you really want? Do you want Falcon to end up like Valiant?

And in the big picture whatever happens will not have any impact on most of the loudest complainers until at least 2037.......
4 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Relation to the torque limiting
Quote:

Firstly next time you think that east west could lot possibly be quick try and catch one of the euro rockets or a WRX/EVO.

If what you are saying is that it will not be cheap to wind it up to 10,000kw when it is 10 years old and has 200,000 km on it then I cannot see any issue with that at all.

I am sure there was just as much misunderstanding when the idea of fuel injection and computers were proposed to replace carburetors and distributors as it would be "too difficult to change anything like jets and a cam".

I can understand that there are some vehemently opposed to the whole idea and if so they have the choice of not buying one.
But as there is NOT going to be a RWD sedan similar to the current Falcon, what do you really want? Do you want Falcon to end up like Valiant?

And in the big picture whatever happens will not have any impact on most of the loudest complainers until at least 2037.......
I don't think I said anything at all about not being able to extract horse power from the motor, or for that matter get around the corners quick, my comment was in relation to Jpd80"s remark about the transmission being low torque rated and due to that difficult to get around without a lot of pain and expense in the current model. Beefing up a fwd transmission in the old days and I suspect even today would like having teeth pulled putting a serious damper on the engine modding.
Old 27-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #28
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:

Well yes I would rather the Falcon name die than have its legacy tarnished by being applied to a V6 auto only yankmobile.

Falcon for me means RWD I6 simple as that!
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #29
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

Dont worry mate, its not easy to convince folk that wont buy the Falcon to even consider what may be its replacement.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #30
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So a vehicle with 270kw. 0-96km/h in 6.0 seconds. versus a Falcon with 270kw, 0-100km/h in 5.1 seconds. hmmm.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: