Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 15-07-2007, 06:09 PM   #1
xfboi

Default heavy duty clutch in xr6

hey guys i just went with my dad and test drove a ed xr6 1993. the car is in real nice condition, anyway when my dad test drove the car the clutch was REALLY hard, when we asked the guy is it a heavy duty clutch he said 'yer, all xr6's come with a heavy duty clutch'' and i thought to my self 'yer this may be true as tickford does make all performance parts and what not' but this clutch is soooooo hard that it is not normal, now i want to kno, does this mean that there is some sort of problem? and my dad is now paranoied and thinks that something is wrong.. and is it true what the owner said that all xr6's come with heavy duty clutch's?
i don't kno much about cars and sorry to ask a stupid question like this but, its basically the only thing that is holding my dad up in buying it for me, other than that the engine looks real clean full service history, only done 190, 000km 5speed manuel full stock (its still got the tape player)....
anyway any information about this problem would really be appreciated
thanks guys

xfboi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #2
EBIIXR6
★★★★★

sounds like the clutch pedal pivot point has broken and is "Grinding" itself against the metal bracket.. I had the same problem in my car when i bought it.. its a dash out job it cost me about $180 for mechanic to fix it...

Next time u look at the car get your head down in the footwell and look at where the clutch pivots from.. you will be able to tell if the factory welds are broken.

As far as i know xr6's DID come with heavy duty clutch's...
And if the welds are not broken and its not a clutch pivot problem id say that it just needs a new clutch cable and a bit of a MANLY left foot approach.
Old 15-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
xfboi

ohhh ok thanks mate. yer i was just thinking it comes like that and i don't really care its just my old man thinks its a problem soo yer thanks anyway mate...
Old 15-07-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Id be more looking at the clutch cable
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 10:56 PM   #5
Maximus
ED XR6

Yeah, probably needs a new clutch cable, they're between $50 - 80 from bursons/autobahn.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 11:24 PM   #6
xfboi

ohh ok cool... but would the clutch cable be hard to install or is a mechanic needed?
Old 16-07-2007, 02:46 AM   #7
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

XR6's did come out with heavy duty clutches, or at least more heavy duty than standard.

I'd also be looking at clutch cable, firewall for any cracks around the clutch cable and pedal box.

Clutch cables are easy to install and I'm sure you and your dad would have no dramas putting a new one in.
Old 16-07-2007, 11:42 AM   #8
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my EL has a heavy duty clutch from tickford.
i personally prefer it to a normal clutch..