Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
balthazarr

Default Proposed Bikie Laws

From http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/hum...q.html?page=-1: (my emphasis)

Quote:
SINCE the bikie assault at Sydney Airport, governments have been considering whether to introduce laws similar to those in South Australia. These laws would restrict the rights to freedom of movement, freedom of association and freedom of expression.

Is such restriction justified in a free and democratic society? Who should decide the limits on these rights — Parliament or the courts?

What process should the parliamentarians or judges follow before deciding to impose such limits?

Whether or not there is a national bill of rights, we need to be on our guard against laws and policies enacted in the name of the public interest but with insufficient consideration for the human rights of the minority.

Bikies are never popular; some of them are mean and anti-social, and some are not. But they all have human rights. Someone has to weigh individual rights and the common good in the balance, rationally and accountably, for the good of us all.
Good questions.

I didn't realise that SA already had such laws.

It seems more and more of our basic rights and freedoms are coming under attack - either by federal or state governments.

Why are these knee-jerk reaction laws being passed or considered (eg. Internet censorship, confiscation of 'hoon's' vehicles, anti-bikie laws), and why are we allowing them to be passed without arking up?

I've been accused of being 'hysterical' in a thread on this forum discussing the internet censorship issue... As I've said before, it's a slippery slope - once you start limiting rights and freedoms, it's hard to stop.

Australian's are typically laid back and apathetic... maybe too apathetic.

balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its unworkable.... and frankly stupid.
How do you stop a group of people congregating, talking or riding together?

Old 06-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Well just hire an interpreter, there are lots of detailed manuals written over the last 60 years in German, Mandarin, Russian, Korean, Spanish, Serbian, Croation, Romanian, Algerian, Pashtu.........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 10:30 AM   #4
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Well just hire an interpreter, there are lots of detailed manuals written over the last 60 years in German, Mandarin, Russian, Korean, Spanish, Serbian, Croation, Romanian, Algerian, Pashtu.........
yeah.. and what a great success it was for them in the end, albiet after many years of abuse.. still history hasn't shy'd the current mob has it.
The notion of outlawing "groups" or "clubs" is ridiculous in the extreme.
"Illegal acts" are just that, "illegal acts", just police their activities the way you police everyone else in society.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The proposed law is stupid. What consitutes 'outlaw'? What percentage of a club needs to be criminal to make a club outlaw. How do you stop this being abused? How do you in law differentiate Hells Angels MC from Ravenswood Junior Motorcross club??

If they have proof of some memebers of a club, any club commiting crimes put them in jail.

My favorite thing in all this is the "Outlaw Motorcyle Gang" from Sydney called Notorius,(or something like that) who apparently don't ride motorcylces they just drive cars. If that is OK, which car club is next? Falcon GT Club? Did one of them break the speed limit? Should we ban all GT's then or just punish the wrong doers.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by myts
The proposed law is stupid. What consitutes 'outlaw'? What percentage of a club needs to be criminal to make a club outlaw. How do you stop this being abused? How do you in law differentiate Hells Angels MC from Ravenswood Junior Motorcross club??

If they have proof of some memebers of a club, any club commiting crimes put them in jail.

My favorite thing in all this is the "Outlaw Motorcyle Gang" from Sydney called Notorius,(or something like that) who apparently don't ride motorcylces they just drive cars. If that is OK, which car club is next? Falcon GT Club? Did one of them break the speed limit? Should we ban all GT's then or just punish the wrong doers.
Exactly my point, i was a member of Nunawading motorcross club and Ravenswood "MC" we used to congregate every sunday, ride our bikes, hang out... i bet some of the member broke the law too, so i guess i was a member of two "motorcycle gangs"...
how you'd go about defining this legislation without lumping every club with a motorcycle slant is beyond me...

Old 06-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
SP.UTE1
Burning Up 98 Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by myts

The anti association laws will only come into play once a "club" has been declared a criminal organisation and declared illegal by that states Attorney General. This has happened in SA, where the Police Commisioner has applied to the Attorney General to have the Finks MC declared. If the club is declared, it hasn't happened yet, then members of that club will be warned not to associate with other members of that declared organisation. If members (of any declared organisation) are found guilty of associating together, they face 5 years in prison if convicted.
What ****es me off, is that any evidence submitted by the police to gain a conviction, can be submitted in secrect. The defendant and his/her legal representative has no right to view the evidence against them. :
Where is the democracy in that?

I don't agree with a lot of stuff that the 1% clubs have been alledged to have done, but I will attend every prostest run, or sign any pettition to support the overturning of these laws.

And, the scary part is, that the laws don't mention Bikie Clubs, Outlaw Motorcycle Clubs, or any reference to motorcycles. So the States that bring in these laws can target any group or club they see fit.

Get informed, read the laws, and get behind any attempt to get these anti Australian laws crushed.

There are laws in place now to go after anyone breaking the law. It's just lazy policing to crush a whole group just because of a few bad apples.

WHEN INJUSTICE BECOMES LAW RESISTANCE BECOMES DUTY
Old 06-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
fordAU

Quote:
Habitual association under consorting law legislation perhaps ? but that's just a wild guess on my part..
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
boss-290

Quote:
With an automatic assault rifle, thats how.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:33 AM   #10
dreadly
Banned

Bloody ridiculous!
It's the media who have blown this out of proportion.... This stuff goes on all the time- It's only cause it's been on the news every other day, that people are being shown one side.
I personally dont have a problem with bikies... there always gonna be there.
And what most dont know is the pure size, and power these clubs have... They own so much real estate it's not funny, last i heard about 30% of the cross alone. Thats big $$$ big taxes, the fuel these guys use hense the levy gst exsis etc etc... the government should be very carefull here..... what to so the publics average 85 iq mums and dads, can think somethings being done or made to feel safe?
Bikies contribute alot to society, and generate oz alot of cash.
If it's not one gang it'll be another etc etc..... and id rather aussie bikies.... say than some non english speaking ethinic so and so's running the show
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #11
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are only talking about outlaw motorcycle gangs arent they, why should they be allowed to be in gangs, arent there already laws against consorting, I dont know why they just dont use these laws.
10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
Black F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFXRScott
They are only talking about outlaw motorcycle gangs arent they, why should they be allowed to be in gangs, arent there already laws against consorting, I dont know why they just dont use these laws.
What's a "motorcycle gang"???

Old 06-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #13
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What's a "motorcycle gang"???

The ones that sell drugs, and think that they are above the law and can just shoot indiscriminately at each other without consequence.

And we all know the gangs they are talking about.

I dont think the law is right by banning these "groups", im sure there are adequate laws to break up these gangs, they just need to man up and do it.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:59 PM   #14
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The ones that sell drugs, and think that they are above the law and can just shoot indiscriminately at each other without consequence.

And we all know the gangs they are talking about.

I dont think the law is right by banning these "groups", im sure there are adequate laws to break up these gangs, they just need to man up and do it.
Selling drugs and shooting people is already illegal and covered comprehensively by the current laws, the authorities need to focus on the application of the law to the individuals involved, not the social groups they may or may not belong to.
How can you prove in law that someone's a member of a gang anyway? its not like these groups keep records, have annual renewals or hand out membership medallions....

Old 06-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #15
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Selling drugs and shooting people is already illegal and covered comprehensively by the current laws, the authorities need to focus on the application of the law to the individuals involved, not the social groups they may or may not belong to.
How can you prove in law that someone's a member of a gang anyway? its not like these groups keep records, have annual renewals or hand out membership medallions....

No, but they certainly do wear there colours, i can understand the point that they shouldnt be going against social groups, but if your group is law abiding then im sure you have nothing to worry about.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #16
hdj80

Quote:
They do hand out F'ing big patches they wear on their jackets. I reckon that would be dead set a good starting point. Trying wearing a set of Hells Angels colours into their club house if you aren't a member :

Anti association laws aren't easy to implement, but it makes the pollies feel like they are doing something.
hdj80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 11:04 AM   #17
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr

I've been accused of being 'hysterical' in a thread on this forum discussing the internet censorship issue... As I've said before, it's a slippery slope - once you start limiting rights and freedoms, it's hard to stop.

Australian's are typically laid back and apathetic... maybe too apathetic.
Well I'm too old to get hysterical, but I'm with you when it comes to overuse of governence to control the population.

I heard about this issue from a friend in WA :- http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...31/2531546.htm

and while it does make a good story, it demonstrates the willingness of the govt. to over penalise for the over exuberance of youth.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #18
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I agree its stupid, but in saying that some bikie gangs get away with murder.

It is ridiculous to stop people from meeting, what the police should do is crack down on one group at a time in which they know do dodgy activities. Ping them for everything, littering, speeding, etc etc, annoy the crap out of them and make their association a burden to run.

Problem is its big money involved and that always leads to trouble.

Its a shame because as we all know it only takes the minority to stuff it up for everyone else, but in this case the minority are not simply doing burnouts in a car park.

Crucify the bastards I say, but you cant go blanketing all bikie gangs.

/awaits people defending known gangs with drug trading etc.

/I also acknowledge that the trouble gangs have good people within them aswell, they probably dress up in a Santa costume at Xmas but that doesn't make what the gang stands for and their activities right
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 06-04-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #19
BAFalconXT
Sold...

If police did their job properly we wouldn't need these laws. These laws and others are just to make it easier for police to arrest and convict people with little to no evidence they have commited a crime.

No different with current speeding fines and parking fines where you are guilty until you can prove your innocence.

Also laws reguarding proceeds of crime, police can take everything you own and you have to try to prove how you obtained them.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #20
bluebloodxr8
Was born with blue blood

4vman is correct, the problem is that there are never any witnesses to the alleged criminal acts by bikies who are prepared to testify in court. scared of repercussions and rightfully so in some cases.
No witnesses makes it hard to get a conviction in court. so the guilty are more often than not free to walk, this cycle breeds a mentallity of being above the law, and so they have no fear of bashing a guy to death in the middle of an airport in broad daylight.
How can the government defend the civil rights of individauls, but not be able to put the criminal element in jail where they belong? not sure of the answer.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #21
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would not matter if they could stop it . Somone else would take there place .
While there is a demand for the stuff there selling there will allways be somone thats going to sell it . Extasy use is growing at a huge rate last time i heard 200% in the last year or two .
Thats what i think is the real issue is demand fix the issue solve the problem .
Unfortunately to do that you would probly need to change the way a society functions.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #22
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Jeeez some thread debates are taken beyond the ridiculous as usual.....
Can't please everybody as they say but thank goodness something is finally being done is all I'll say.
Oh yer I let my 16 and 10yr old sons know they are classified as being in a gang now wearing their favourite team colours at the v8's, football etcetc so be on the look out for being scrutinised.......
but don't worry you can sleep at night as does your old man with a clear conscience as if the feds get a warrant to check out our stockade we have nothing to hide so they are just doing their job which is good for us law abiding citizens.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 05:21 PM   #23
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

slight difference between wearing a hells angels jacket when your not a member.
Than wearing a jacket with a brand name . Fpv is not a gang .
Old 06-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #24
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
slight difference between wearing a hells angels jacket when your not a member.
Than wearing a jacket with a brand name . Fpv is not a gang .
Really.......

Try wearing a FPV shirt into a HSV bogan camp at Bathurst and see whether or not there is any gang mentallity.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #25
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Really.......

Try wearing a FPV shirt into a HSV bogan camp at Bathurst and see whether or not there is any gang mentallity.

A drunken mob is still not a gang you can twist it as much as you want its not the same.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:54 PM   #26
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
A drunken mob is still not a gang you can twist it as much as you want its not the same.
The problem is not whether we twist it, the problem is whether the police force, government and courts will twist it and expand the interpretation of the laws beyond what they were originally intended for, which may be too broad to begin with.

Just because you say it is not the same, doesn't mean it can't or won't be interpreted to mean the same by those in authority.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #27
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont see what the big deal is, if you are not doing anything wrong than you have nothing to fear
Old 06-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I dont see what the big deal is, if you are not doing anything wrong than you have nothing to fear
Old 06-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #29
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Exactly, as has been said, no action will be taken until the gang has been declared illegal, to be declared illegal there must be substanciating evidence.

Such evidence could be the combined 1000+ serious convictions that was reported by the police in regards to one such group...how many serious offences do you and your mates need before you might be considered anti-social.
I dont think they'll bother with FPV supporters somehow.
Evidence in SA confirms the only other group in SA with more convictions is in Yatala Prison.

Wheres the need for fortified club rooms if theres no violence involved..Does the Lexus centre have 20ft high walls surrounding it?

As for keeping good old Aussie gangs over ethnic groups, read the names of those involved in violence over the last 3wks..
The reason for the recent increase in the level of violence shown by some of these gangs can be linked to the influx of non-anglo members.

I dont have a problem with social get togethers if thats all they are.

Then again perhaps the law makers may have it all wrong.

Last edited by BENT_8; 06-04-2009 at 07:22 PM.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #30
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
As for keeping good old Aussie gangs over ethnic groups, read the names of those involved in violence over the last 3wks..
The reason for the recent increase in the level of violence shown by some of these gangs can be linked to the influx of non-anglo members.
AHA

Pauline Hanson has been trolling AFF under the username BENT_8

Super genius, it is all about race.....
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post