Old 27-04-2006, 08:23 AM   #1
act2617

Default Mitsubishi acts to remedy 380 botch

http://www.theage.com.au/news/busine...861419618.html

act2617 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 10:09 AM   #2
WASP
Whipple Induced

I'm SA based and hope the relaunch helps, but one of the hardest things to do in advertising is change market perception, buyer trends and habits. It's a big ask and the cynic in me thinks they (Mitsi) could be flogging a dead horse. They really need to come to market (again) with clear point of difference that buyers can emotionally relate to. For example the 380 could deliver the traditional large car buyers what they ultimately desire in today’s market i.e. 4 cyl fuel economy, big power, rear wheel drive and smart looks and a great range of buyer options to further customise their vehicle. Don't ask for much do we...lol
Old 27-04-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When will they learn. Nobody wants a big car thats front wheel drive! Make it rwd and sales will increase ;)

fwd is for small car shopping trolleys.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 10:59 AM   #4
buickman
buickman

You a right with that Australian large car buyers prefer RWD & as we a not a country that has a lot of snow conditions for a to 6 months of the year I cannot see any reason for buying a large FWD car here. I think Mitsibishi would have to do a major overhaul of their image with the larger family cars to get buyers in.
.[/QUOTE]
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 11:29 AM   #5
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Surely what they need to do is licence either the Charger or 300c and make em here! With the Austrian plant at near capacity, charger or 300c right on the money design wise.

Mitsubishi was real close to getting it right with the previous series (before the french bug eye look). Sharp if slightly tired looks. AWD. A high performance model (way too expensive tho). If they had fixed the resale and discounting problem they would have had a hit.

Mitsubishi should have a 4 cylinder 2.4 FWD and a 3.8L AWD model. But thats now impossible.

I honestly think Mitsubishi is in a corner now they can't get out of. Maybe they will sell the factory back to Chrysler.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 11:33 AM   #6
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphido
Surely what they need to do is licence either the Charger or 300c and make em here!
Amen to that.. :Reverend:

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 11:32 AM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
When will they learn. Nobody wants a big car thats front wheel drive! Make it rwd and sales will increase ;)

Now everyone says this but is it really true? Performance cars yes I see your point, but from what I understand its the XT's and the Futura's that are the bulk of the sales. Do you really think these people know/care if its FWD or RWD, V6 or I6?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 11:35 AM   #8
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Now everyone says this but is it really true? Performance cars yes I see your point, but from what I understand its the XT's and the Futura's that are the bulk of the sales. Do you really think these people know/care if its FWD or RWD, V6 or I6?
why do most people buy holdens?? "because they are better" Every time I have asked why or how, they can't answer. It's all a matter of perceptions, right or wrong.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 11:46 AM   #9
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA-Coupe
why do most people buy holdens?? "because they are better" Every time I have asked why or how, they can't answer. It's all a matter of perceptions, right or wrong.
Or its their breeding. I was brought up with Chrysler, and then Ford in my household. When it was time to get a car for myself, I didn't hesitate to get a Falcon. A mate that I went to school with has had nothing but Commodores.

Many people also jumped ship during the AU period. All they had to do was drive one, and see how they had superior dynamics to the equivalent Commodore, yet people buy with their eyes, not with their other senses!
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 12:05 PM   #10
XPcoupe
The Grand Prix

I agree, the swinging voter, that looks at different brands/models does not care if it is FWD or RWD, it is all about the look and keeping up with the Jone's. why do people buy a brand of car.

1 . Because they have all there life and there parents did.
2 . Because there friend had one and they said it was great
3 . It is a car to be seen in. (keep up with the Jone's)
4 . The press write ups are great, 1 bad comment and it's all over.

I will buy a ford V8 any day as that's what I like and you will not steer me from it. my only discussion is Ute or sedan

The Australia marked is not big enough for 3 large car manufacturers.

Bright Green XP Coupe
9" 3.55 LSD, C10 and mild 302 Windsor

Cruizing the roads 70's style
XPcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 12:17 PM   #11
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
since when does "most" people buy holdens, more private buyers buy falcons then commodores, holden sell more company cars as they are simply cheaper to run, and because the AU, and even then the margin is not that great.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 01:02 PM   #12
mash85

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Dave
since when does "most" people buy holdens, more private buyers buy falcons then commodores, holden sell more company cars as they are simply cheaper to run, and because the AU, and even then the margin is not that great.
you know for a fact that more private buyers buy falcons?
mash85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 01:51 PM   #13
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Dave
ffs, read what I wrote,.. not what you think I wrote.

Did I say most people who buy cars buy holdens?? no, I said, why do most people buy holdens?? I was not even referring to market shares.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 12:09 AM   #14
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Quote:
Yeah, I definately agree with, especially here in NZ where I'm pretty sure Holden has a bigger share than Ford. Some of that would have to be put down to a arrogant man with pointy sideburns.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 11:53 AM   #15
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Most understand the maintanence costs will be higher on a fwd car. Especially one that you can't get the last two plugs out of without removing major parts. Like the manifold for example. Mitsu run iridium plugs in them but when it comes to change them. It hits real hard.

The buyer has learned from the prior V6 magna's. Most once they drive one will figure out it's driving from the front wheels. A fwd heavy car will destroy the front tyres pretty rapidly too.

rwd cars all the way for me. Although my old man has taken a liking to his V6 toyota Camry. I put it down to he is over 50 :

Old 27-04-2006, 03:33 PM   #16
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Quote:
The buyer has learned from the prior V6 magna's. Most once they drive one will figure out it's driving from the front wheels. A fwd heavy car will destroy the front tyres pretty rapidly too.
Rotate the tyres and you will find that they'll last far longer than on a Falcon.
Old 27-04-2006, 04:42 PM   #17
max
LWBforME

IMO the Camry is uglier than the 380, but they seem to sell OK. I think the 380 failure is all about fuel cost issues, and a company which the public perceives as down on its luck. I don't think Tom Phillips should have walked before the 380 launch. That did not look good.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 11:35 PM   #18
460cixy
burn out king

Quote:

absolute bull if ever i heard it. i work for a ford dealer here. and i would say 95% of the punters wouldent know what wheels drove the car. fact is mitsibishi has the est name around and will ultamtily fail in australia because of it even tho ther cars are not any worse than a falcon or commie.
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 11:52 PM   #19
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460cixy
absolute bull if ever i heard it. i work for a ford dealer here. and i would say 95% of the punters wouldent know what wheels drove the car. fact is mitsibishi has the est name around and will ultamtily fail in australia because of it even tho ther cars are not any worse than a falcon or commie.
The people you must meet must be pretty dumb. The women at my work know whether a car is fwd or rwd. I'd say that percentage would realistically be around 30% wouldn't know.

Old 27-04-2006, 11:55 AM   #20
turboute
turboute

Chrysler can come here with a RWD V8 and immediately have sales success (esp after the neon) Mitsubishi should learn from that they they obviosly have had their heads in their ***** for too long.

Why would it be so hard to change their plant to RWD? there is better chance of that turning the company around that than trying to keep flogging the same old crap they come out with each new model and having no success whatsoever.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 12:39 PM   #21
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brenz...try changing the back plugs on a Ford V8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 01:48 PM   #22
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Brenz...try changing the back plugs on a Ford V8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not sure about late model but on my clevo a set of plugs takes me around 10 minutes.

Old 27-04-2006, 01:15 PM   #23
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For the 380 to be a sucess it needed to be RWD - a big point of differnce in the large car marketplace and the only way Toyota and Misti will build a falcadore rival.

But, the factory is configured to be flexible and for two production lines. It would be profitable on 30-35,000 cars a year.

Enter Chrysler? Easy way for extra 300c demand in RHD markets to be realised and for Chrysler Australia to make it to thier stated aim of 14,000 cars by 2010.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 01:18 PM   #24
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

(P)76 x 5 = 380
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 01:20 AM   #25
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
(P)76 x 5 = 380
Or perhaps: 380 = AU :

For pete's sake AU owners dont hark up
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 01:26 PM   #26
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just as the dieing Valiant and sparkling Sigma meant Mistu replaced Chysler in OZ, could it be that a combo of 300C, Magnum, Crossfire, Voyager Charger and Challengers could mean Chysler returns replacing Mistu?

Wonder what thos Stratus/Sebrings are like?
Old 27-04-2006, 01:39 PM   #27
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I honestly believe most buyers (esp fleets) DONT care or even know if a car is FWD vs RWD. A FWD car with an AWD option/model for the performance or towing minded people would cater for those who care.

People want a car that looks good, its that simple. VT killed AU coz people preferred the looks both inside and out. So many people said to me "I wouldnt buy a Falcon (AU) coz they are ugly."

IF im gunna plonk $30K minimum on a car, i want to smile when I see it and be proud to show my mates.

380 and last magna were not as good looking as their competitors inside or out, nor did they offer anything special to make me overlook the appearances. If they were so much better in some other way (heaps faster, more economical, more luxury, roomier way cheaper or something then the opposition) maybe I could be persuaded.

But if there are 2 or 3 cars all about the same price, specs etc but one is ugly, then why should I buy it? At least AU falcon had "Roomy rugged reliable cheap to service and i know the company wil be here to stay" reputation, Mistu doesnt have any of that.

Last edited by bathurst77; 27-04-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 27-04-2006, 01:48 PM   #28
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Actually, I thought the VX was the comparision model for the AU, (VT and EL?), then VY / BA and VZ / BF ....??? : Bah, another thread for another day.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 01:47 PM   #29
Ringo
I see you....

(P)76 x 5 = 380 <---- That's funny

No.1 - The design of the 380 is not flash....looks a bit 80's compared to other 6 cyl sedans

No.2 - Its a 6cyl.....ehhhh not so good when fuel is going up and Corolla is outselling Commodore

No.3 - Driving dynamics were not a leap forward for 6 cyl buyers even if it was for Mits

No.4 - The long term viability of Mits manufacturing in Aus is doubtful...this has effected resale values and is an ongoing risk...all of which is factored in lease pricing in the highly price sensitive fleet market.

No.5 - No dedicated LPG model (E-Gas sales have risen 40% since January 2005 and still climbing)

No.6 - VE Commydore and Aurion are due out in the next 6 months...if you could you'd wait too see what they are like before puting down your order.

No. 7 - 380 LE LX LTS GTX HMV SUV MTV......whatever. Ford, Holden and eveyone except BMW and Audi have names for their cars, not numbers. Mits should give them some names to give each level car some identity. 380 Degree, 380 Grande, 380 Concourse, 380 Maxis...you get the drift...give the marketing dept something to work with instead of just letters...where is 'the brand' or 'identitiy' in just letters?

Toyota Aurion will kill off Mits manufacturing in Australia....mark my words
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 01:54 PM   #30
Ringo
I see you....

What is this talk of the 300c.....they have sold a couple of hundred of the suckers....big deal.

The big big fleets couldn't care less about FWD or RWD. The care about safety equipment (OH+S) and lease costs and minimising financial risk
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post