Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Ford Australia public affairs director Sinead Phipps told Drive: “We have no plans to

From DRIVE 28/06/2012

Ford Performance Vehicles is about to introduce the fastest Falcon GT of all time – although it will fall short of being the much-anticipated successor to the iconic GTHO.

Codenamed “Panther”, the Falcon GT’s supercharged V8 will have the same power as before (335kW and 570Nm) but it will accelerate more quickly because of wider rear tyres and retuned suspension.

Although Ford does not publish acceleration claims, Drive understands internal testing has shown the new model can reach 100km/h in less than five seconds.

Advertisement: Story continues below
The upgraded Falcon GT is due to be unveiled within the next two months in the lead-up to October’s Sydney motor show.

There are also plans afoot to revive the Falcon XR8 nameplate, thought to have been left for dead when it was dropped from the line-up in June 2010.

There is widespread speculation the XR8 will replace the budget-priced but slow-selling FPV GS – which, ironically, was supposed to be badged XR8 but Ford changed its mind at the 11th hour.

However, reliable sources say the decision to revive the XR8 nameplate is yet to be made and, if approved, won’t reappear until 2013 at the earliest.

It is also unclear what engine would power the XR8.

The 315kW supercharged V8 used in the GS would have to meet stricter Ford reliability standards if the car were to wear Falcon XR8 badging.

Ford could also choose to power the XR8 with a non-supercharged V8.

However, whichever option Ford goes with, it will cost time and money to undertake either engineering overhaul.

Meanwhile, enthusiast websites are rife with speculation the FPV range is about to be rationalised to a single GT model, dropping the GT-E and GT-P variants from the line-up.

However this is wide of the mark.

Dealers were last week sent a bulletin advising them to bring forward any production orders for GT-E and GT-P models because they will be unavailable while the limited edition GT “Panther” is built in one batch.

Regular production of all GT variants and the turbocharged F6 are expected to resume afterwards.

There is also speculation Ford Australia is about to take control of Ford Performance Vehicles. But this, too, seems premature.

FPV has been 51 per cent owned by British firm Prodrive since 2002, with Ford owning the remaining 49 per cent.

Prodrive’s chief operating officer, Clive Scrivener, was in Australia this week – at the same time as the Asia-Pacific boss of Ford, Joe Hinrichs. However, the parties did not meet.

The takeover conjecture started after three FPV engineers – Bernie Quinn, Paul Cook and Jim Jovonoski – bought an engineering offshoot of Prodrive last month. But that division is not part of FPV.

That said, Ford Australia is believed to be reviewing its relationship with the FPV business.

Ford and FPV have been slow to recoup the $40 million investment in the supercharged V8 upgrade introduced in the GT Falcon in October 2010.

While sales of high-performance Falcons have increased since the introduction of the supercharged V8 engine, Ford was expecting even higher demand.

Despite Ford building the most powerful locally-made V8 sedan on sale in Australia today, FPV sells less than half the number of cars as rival Holden Special Vehicles.

Although there is wild speculation about a takeover on a number of Ford internet forums, the company says there are no changes or announcements imminent regarding FPV.

Ford Australia public affairs director Sinead Phipps told Drive: “We have no plans to make any kind of announcement in relation to FPV in the near future.”
http://brisbanetimes.drive.com.au/mo...628-214ow.html

Last edited by csv8; 30-07-2012 at 07:28 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
Rockape
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Australia public affairs director Sinead Phipps told Drive: “We have no plans to

I dont know what to think anymore. Long live the Ford Falcon

Kawasaki ZZR1100
Rockape is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
StrikeTwiceXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Re: Ford Australia public affairs director Sinead Phipps told Drive: “We have no plans to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape
Long live the Ford Falcon
x 2 Long live the Ford Falcon
StrikeTwiceXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Australia public affairs director Sinead Phipps told Drive: “We have no plans to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape
I dont know what to think anymore. Long live the Ford Falcon
Uncertainty, will be the death of Falcon.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #5
StrikeTwiceXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Although there is wild speculation about a takeover on a number of Ford internet forums, the company says there are no changes or announcements imminent regarding FPV.

Ford Australia public affairs director Sinead Phipps told Drive: “We have no plans to make any kind of announcement in relation to FPV in the near future.”
http://brisbanetimes.drive.com.au/mo...628-214ow.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
Uncertainty, will be the death of Falcon.
Sorry guys, but I can't see any uncertainty from Ford Australia's direction with FPV. Looks good to me!
StrikeTwiceXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The real truth must be deciphered from the posts of people in the know, a sence of reality and a little of Fords official line. Do you really think Ford will let the real story out the bag yet? As suppliers and companies with long lead times start getting orders cut short you can bet your bottom dollar the s%^ts going down.
Old 29-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #7
BHDOGS
Banned

good news to hear
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #8
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

This was already posted in the FPV section guys

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11369760
Old 29-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #9
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
so par for the course, to keep everyone in the dark. even though that hurts them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
This was already posted in the FPV section guys

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11369760
Geeze, Louise, you expect us to drill all the way down there to get the top stories?
Old 29-06-2012, 12:39 AM   #10
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

I'm going to reserve my judgement.

On one hand I want to believe them on the other hand the original info was posted by Spoolman, he wouldn't have started the topic unless his sources were reliable.

Yep reserving my judgment but definitely watching closely.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 01:36 AM   #11
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Here's a bizarre thought....

What are the chances that Ford/FPV intentionly leaked the story that Spoolman reported this morning to cause a bit of a buzz?

The news article quoted above came very quickly and specifically refers to the activity on the forums today.

Maybe I'm clutching at straws here, it could have been a clever way for FPV to address the elephant in the room without making a big deal about it themselves.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #12
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra
Here's a bizarre thought....

What are the chances that Ford/FPV intentionly leaked the story that Spoolman reported this morning to cause a bit of a buzz?

The news article quoted above came very quickly and specifically refers to the activity on the forums today.

Maybe I'm clutching at straws here, it could have been a clever way for FPV to address the elephant in the room without making a big deal about it themselves.

or find a leak in their office perhaps with some mis- information?
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2012, 01:06 AM   #13
morak001
460 - cubes torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000
or find a leak in their office perhaps with some mis- information?
I was thinking this...
morak001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #14
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Wow...what a surprise...an internet rumour was wrong...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #15
Benjamin Smith

Why doesn't someone make up a rumour that ford has plans for the falcon all the way up to 2025 or something, because it is clear where the journalist are getting there story's from.

Last edited by Benjamin Smith; 29-06-2012 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Because I'm a dick
Benjamin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #16
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

I just heard on the qt that Ford are about to announce the release of a new range of Falcon sedans/wagons/panel vans/utes and coupes with a choice of 4,6 and 8cyl engines throughout, all engines will be available in either petrol/gas/diesel and N/A or forced induction.......good times ahead....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #17
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Positive Falcon threads...

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ht=2016+falcon

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ht=2016+falcon

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #18
BaraFGXR6

Please Please Please re release a decent priced xr8 with an n/a motor in 2013!

Lease is up and i swear on my left testicle that i would rather upgrade to a streetable n/a v8 platform then pour money into my 6. (not everyone needs or wants a supercharged v8!)

In other news, its good to see Ford finally coming out of the shadows and dispelling the rumours

Sometimes anticipating the hit is actually worse than the hit itself.
2012 Navara STX manual - sold.
2013 Focus ST - sold.
2015 XLS ranger auto - sold.
2017 VW Golf work car.. current..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I'm going to convert my turbo to NA, just to see your head explode.
BaraFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #19
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
From DRIVE 28/06/2012

The 315kW supercharged V8 used in the GS would have to meet stricter Ford reliability standards if the car were to wear Falcon XR8 badging.
Not really helpful, and is it even true?
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #20
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo
Good to hear
This could quite possible be true, there are global standards for all Ford vehicles worldwide that wear the badge. It is where our 15,000km service intervals come from, while if it was up to Ford Aus they would probably? be smaller intervals. There are lots of little things like that seem inconsequential but = pain to meet that FPV can probably get away with due to not wearing the Ford badge.
Old 29-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #21
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
This could quite possible be true, there are global standards for all Ford vehicles worldwide that wear the badge. It is where our 15,000km service intervals come from, while if it was up to Ford Aus they would probably? be smaller intervals. There are lots of little things like that seem inconsequential but = pain to meet that FPV can probably get away with due to not wearing the Ford badge.
Few things I found strange with the FORD has higher standards than FPV statement.
1) The cars are predominately built by Ford, with performance extras put on by FPV.
2) The engines are FPV built, but the XR8's always had FPV built engines in them.
3)Maybe it's just me, but I would have thought the performance division of any car manufacturer would have to have higher, stricter standards to the base model cars manufacture. For safety & reliability, FPV would have to engineer the cars engines, brakes, suspension, etc, to keep the 5 star safety rating of the base falcons & extra stresses on various parts of the cars, when used on the racetrack or during spirited driving. FPV probably dictate safety & reliability standards to Ford, for the donor cars.
4) The big one, all FPV cars come under the FORD Factory warranty, so all would have to be built to Ford quality specs, otherwise, they'd have no warranty on them.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #22
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo
Good to hear

FPV's have to pass every single durability test as every other Ford on the planet.

And just remember that previous FPV's were badged as Fords, it hasn't somehow changed just because they now put FPV badges on them, they have always had to pass the same tests and still do. Why do some people think it takes so long to get things like wider tyres on sale, from what i've heard it takes close to 18 months-2 years to get things from drawing board to production, every change has to be put through all the One Ford testing again.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #23
robbo/region15

[quote=Bossxr8]FPV's have to pass every single durability test as every other Ford on the planet.

And just remember that previous FPV's were badged as Fords, it hasn't somehow changed just because they now put FPV badges on them, they have always had to pass the same tests and still do. Why do some people think it takes so long to get things like wider tyres on sale,

Plus the rest!!!
Initialy you need to get through the PPAT,add to that FMEA,Add to that change of suplier etc...........
robbo/region15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #24
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If this aint damage control from Ford (I bet there are some insiders twitching in their seats as well) I'll eat my PC.
Yesterdays news may have cut way to close to the bone.
Old 29-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #25
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
If this aint damage control from Ford (I bet there are some insiders twitching in their seats as well) I'll eat my PC.
You might be onto something. But lets just leave it at that before another 'skys falling in' rumour starts.
I'm happy to believe what Russell has posted until such time as another official statement has been made by FPV.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2012, 12:19 AM   #26
robbo/region15

Quote:
Maybe,but you never get inside news from within Broady as they are kept in the dark too,albeit Barry rd or the bus park building further up the road,add to that Futuris,Dana ,Continental volumes there receiving is minimal,its all here say,we can speculate as much as we want ,but will never see the Joe Frazier Left Hook coming....
robbo/region15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #27
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Wonder how hard it would have been to wring 351kw out of the engine? Or is that being saved for later on I wonder?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #28
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Wonder how hard it would have been to wring 351kw out of the engine? Or is that being saved for later on I wonder?
already makes that and then some
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #29
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
I think 451kW would be dead easy. The emissions side of things may be more difficult though.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #30
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think at the moment, someone is eating humble pie lol
Murph-51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post