Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-07-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Default Seeing the Job done!

Hey everybody!

I'm going into a service with FORD soon, and as I have the whole, entire day off, I was thinking I would hang around and go into the workshop and see exactly what they do.

Has anybody ever done this before.

If they are going to touch anything on my car, I want to be there, so I know exactly what they do and where all my money is going. I've never done this before, but I'm definitely doing it this time!

I'm just kind of sick of hearing all these bad stories of Ford Dealership services and such, so I'm going to see what really happens!

Cheers!

XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Runner
Hey everybody!

I'm going into a service with FORD soon, and as I have the whole, entire day off, I was thinking I would hang around and go into the workshop and see exactly what they do.

Has anybody ever done this before.

If they are going to touch anything on my car, I want to be there, so I know exactly what they do and where all my money is going. I've never done this before, but I'm definitely doing it this time!

I'm just kind of sick of hearing all these bad stories of Ford Dealership services and such, so I'm going to see what really happens!

Cheers!
Probably won't let you in the workshop. OHS rules......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Probably won't let you in the workshop. OHS rules......
It is not OHS to have an out side observer. Unless this observer decides to help in the process of the service... I would just stand completely aside. Even out side of the garage, but still having my car in view and being able to see what they do.

I've thought of this. If they don't allow me to see what they have done or do, I will tell them that I will take my business elsewhere. And that's that.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It is not OHS to have an out side observer. Unless this observer decides to help in the process of the service... I would just stand completely aside. Even out side of the garage, but still having my car in view and being able to see what they do.

I've thought of this. If they don't allow me to see what they have done or do, I will tell them that I will take my business elsewhere. And that's that.
So you have all the safety equipment, have been trained and certified in dangerous liquids etc, know the fire evacuation plan etc etc etc...

YES IT IS OHS.....unfortunately.

If you stand outside the garage in a safe place and can still see what is happening you still can't talk to the mechanic, you must talk to the service manager and if you make a pain of yourself you will get ejected.

Now you have asked what the go is so I am telling you what happens at the 10 or so dealerships that I look after.

You can either accept it of just stay around. Making a pain of yourself is only going to ensure that your bill will have no freebies or extra work done and get you a nice entry in the computer so your reputation can be shared.....

The acronym PITA is not extremely uncommon in service histories......
Old 07-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Quote:
So you have all the safety equipment, have been trained and certified in dangerous liquids etc, know the fire evacuation plan etc etc etc...

If you stand outside the garage in a safe place and can still see what is happening you still can't talk to the mechanic, you must talk to the service manager and if you make a pain of yourself you will get ejected.

Now you have asked what the go is so I am telling you what happens at the 10 or so dealerships that I look after.

You can either accept it of just stay around. Making a pain of yourself is only going to ensure that your bill will have no freebies or extra work done and get you a nice entry in the computer so your reputation can be shared.....

I am alright with them telling me it is an OHS risk if I stand in their garage to see them do their job. But I don't see a problem if I am standing just outside their garage door. And if they don't even let me do that, I don't mind. Because my personal mechanic is a good friend of mine and he will take me through the whole service procedure (I asked him, he said he will show me exactly what he does, and that's the main reason I want to see Fords service). If they let me down.

Then seeya later Ford Service.

Only reason I am with ford service is because I have about 30,000 kms left of warranty.

But I am willing to sacrifice that for a better service, better price and better customer service.

Last edited by XR6Runner; 07-07-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I am alright with them telling me it is an OHS risk if I stand in their garage to see them do their job. But I don't see a problem if I am standing just outside their garage door. And if they don't even let me do that, I don't mind. Because my personal mechanic is a good friend of mine and he will take me through the whole service procedure (I asked him, he said he will show me exactly what he does, and that's the main reason I want to see Fords service). If they let me down.

What you are proposing is silly. Just because you have the "day off" you are prepared to hang around the workshop entrance - hoping to catch a glimpse of your car being worked on. The workshop Manager would be quite within his rights to tell you to rack off - especially as they have cars almost constantly entering & leaving (and you loitering around the garage doors).
Why don't you take the car to your personal friend & see how long the friendship lasts with you "sticking your nose in".
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Only reason I am with ford service is because I have about 30,000 kms left of warranty.

But I am willing to sacrifice that for a better service, better price and better customer service.
How, in July 2009, could you still have warranty on a BA XR6?
Old 07-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You don't need to have a dealer service to keep your warranty. If that's what they told you then they lied to you. Any qualified mechanic can do a vehicle service.
Ducati888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 01:16 AM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
If they let you watch, which I doubt (certainly give it a crack though), they'd probably do an awesome job. You'd feel confident next time not to watch and they'd do their lax job again. LOL!

Of course I'm well aware that there are many good mechanics and the like on this forum who would pride themselves on doing a great job on any vehicle they service, but they'd not be in the majority I'd reckon. Perhaps on this forum they are though.

In any case, I reckon just get your mate to do the service, watch and learn from him, enjoy asking the questions and getting real answers, and enjoy your wallet being heavier from the cash you save.

My 2 cents (pun intended).

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #10
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:

Yep, agree with Flappist on that one. Dealers poo themselves about OHAS because they don't want premiums to go up because you stubbed your toe or something...just easier for them to say "Sorry mate, you can wait over THERE"

Don't like it? Try Ultratune...

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Ill tell you now.. You do not want to know what goes on in a dealership.
VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #12
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletGT
Ill tell you now.. You do not want to know what goes on in a dealership.
That's what I always thought, until the point in my life that I decided that nobody is going to touch anything on my car/possession unless I am there to see it happen.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:32 PM   #13
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is an OH+S issue because you're not an employee with the appropriate training.
I seriously doubt you'd be allowed into the area on that basis alone, besides the fact that the mechanic wont want someone looking over their shoulder... asking questions, getting in the way, telling him how to do it etc etc...

Old 07-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #14
Scott

What do you hope to see?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #15
downthetrack

I just let the mechanics do their thing. If they call up about something major needing to be done, politely asking to go out and have a look and an explanation of what's required has never been knocked back in my case.
I have always found that not being a pest will pay off in the long run if you stick with a mechanic that does a good job.
As others have said all the OH&S rules these days make it harder to allow members of the public into workshops.
downthetrack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #16
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
What do you hope to see?
I hope to see what they do to my car so I can justify the cost.

Sorry, if you don't understand me, but I am one of those guys that takes photos of my whole car from ever angle, including the engine bay and underside.

And if something is not right, I have proof and I then I have a claim.

It would be just nice to see how Ford Service do their work. I don't know why some of you are getting worked up, I just want to see what they do! No big deal... Right?
Old 08-07-2009, 06:56 AM   #17
Micksxboxmods
BF FPV GT-P Goodness.....

Quote:
I hope to see what they do to my car so I can justify the cost.

Sorry, if you don't understand me, but I am one of those guys that takes photos of my whole car from ever angle, including the engine bay and underside.

And if something is not right, I have proof and I then I have a claim.

It would be just nice to see how Ford Service do their work. I don't know why some of you are getting worked up, I just want to see what they do! No big deal... Right?
Its ok to be fussy, however, if you were to hang around like you dont trust them, rest assured something untoward would happen as soon as you looked away.

Take it to a mechanic who you trust to avoid the hassle of standing there for a day.

I took my car to fraud once, they did not fix any of my warranty concerns, thrashed f... out of my car..as I witnessed it (all 6 times, musta been taking it in turns), used about 200km of petrol....then what do you do???

you cannot do anything as you cannot prove 'beyond a reasonable doubt'........

If you have kids, wife, mates, spend the day with them instead.
Micksxboxmods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #18
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Because the warranty doesnt run out till its done 100,000 bro!!

LOL...

Theres a slight chance he bought one in 2005 when they were running 5 year warrantys the SR we bought my grandma still has warranty till Oct Next year!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 04:56 PM   #19
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No way in hell are they going to let you in, as said OSH and insurance reasons. Thats why they have big signs up "STRICTLY NO ADMITTANCE TO WORK SHOP".
Just smile as you get ripped off, thats all you can do.
So take a seat in the waiting lounge, drink as much coffee and eat as many biscuits as you can to try and balance out the bill.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #20
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

This is a great thread and really enjoying it Tell us how you go!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #21
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
This is a great thread and really enjoying it Tell us how you go!
Actually id like to come and watch too..! maybe an AFF field trip?

Old 07-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #22
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Could put it up in the events section ......

A mate is a principle of a FORD dealership ...... I can't even go out the back without having my hand held. It is different for a 'normal' workshop ie: Hallam Perfomance, you can wander in and have a chat and even get your hands dirty ......

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
You don't need to go all the way up to Canberra, Oz is on until 12 July at Birrarung Marr.......
Old 07-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #24
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

My biggest P. off is customers who hang around looking over your shoulder. good luck with it
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 07:03 AM   #25
Micksxboxmods
BF FPV GT-P Goodness.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxm
My biggest P. off is customers who hang around looking over your shoulder. good luck with it
I could be wrong, but that suggests something to hide mate?? Maybe they care for their car and just want to make sure you will care(like they do or better) for it whilst its in your custody.

I'm not accusing and no malice intended, just wanted to get a feel for why you would think this way.

I'm a sparky by trade, so no chance not to do anything without the customer watching, and I'm happy to do that.
Micksxboxmods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #26
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micksxboxmods
I could be wrong, but that suggests something to hide mate?? Maybe they care for their car and just want to make sure you will care(like they do or better) for it whilst its in your custody.

I'm not accusing and no malice intended, just wanted to get a feel for why you would think this way.

I'm a sparky by trade, so no chance not to do anything without the customer watching, and I'm happy to do that.
The difference between yourself being watched as a sparky and a mechanic being watched by a customer is simple. Most people don't really know what a sparky is doing, nor do they understand it. Most people who care enough about their car to watch it being serviced like to think they have some mechanical knowledge sufficient to ask questions (no matter how annoying or dumb) and are also almost traumatised when they see something like the head off.
Then they also proffer silly things to try to prove their intelligence with mechanical things to the mechanic, and this rapidly becomes innane and serves as a distraction. Finally, after all these distractions and annoyances should something appear to go wrong (such as undoing a thermostat housing and coolant leaking out) then this kind of customer tends to be the first to complain.
Best thing to do is say hi to your mechanic and be nice to him/her, then leave them alone to do the job. If they get it wrong and the car breaks down or explodes, then complain.

Quote: