Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 14-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
davistev

Default Define Timewaster when buying / selling a car!

When looking at online car classifieds many say "no timewasters", how do you define a person who is a timewaster?

Old 14-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Define Timewaster when buying / selling a car!

They create threads like this one.
Old 14-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Someone who has no intention of buying the car, just wants to take it for a fang.

I solved a problem on the internet, I'd like a cookie please.
Old 14-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Time waster,someone who has nothing better to do than waste time ......

Don't have the money,want someone to help waste their uneventfull,useless, waste of a life ....
This user likes this post:
Old 14-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
jamies

The term ''timewaster'' is pretty explanatory, don't you think ?
Old 14-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Someone who replies to a thread like this one and then proceeds to make his sentence really, really long - indeed I think I am probably breaking grammar and punctuation rules but this thread now has an interesting post in it!
2 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

**** just wasted 2 minutes on this thread
Old 14-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
davistev

Geez - there is a lot of negativity here. I thought it was a reasonable question and not deserving of such bully answers.

I ask as I constantly see adds stating this. The message I get when I read such an add is I may be a timewaster if I do not buy which in turn reduces my willingness to even call. As a potential buyer, I would have thought that the seller would be putting their best image forward rather than draw their lines in the sand.

As a seller of a car, our family always offers a drink, have a chat, allow a test drive and thank them for taking the time to look at our car. Never are there hard feelings if the car is not for them.

This thread is about the terminology used when selling a car and how this may impact the number of responses one gets.
Old 14-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistev View Post
Never are there hard feelings if the car is not for them.
Would there be hard feelings if they came out, didn't like the car but then called back and asked to drive it again? Then you agree to let them drive it again, and they then say 'I'll think about it?' You don't hear from them for a few days and they then offer you 20% less than what you want for the car. You say no and they then ask to have their mechanic mate come out to have a look at it. See where this is going?

If you see 'no timewasters/test pilots' and think - 'is that me?', then chances are the answer is 'yes' and you shouldn't contact the seller.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #10
davistev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
Would there be hard feelings if they came out, didn't like the car but then called back and asked to drive it again? Then you agree to let them drive it again, and they then say 'I'll think about it?' You don't hear from them for a few days and they then offer you 20% less than what you want for the car. You say no and they then ask to have their mechanic mate come out to have a look at it. See where this is going?

If you see 'no timewasters/test pilots' and think - 'is that me?', then chances are the answer is 'yes' and you shouldn't contact the seller.
I would consider that person as an interested buyer who has spent his time looking at my car. I would welcome his mechanic buddy and answer any questions s/he may have as well as another test drive. Prices are always negotiable and potential buyers need to have time to think.
Old 14-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Best wishes with your sale then.
Old 14-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
davistev

Smile Re: Define Timewaster when buying / selling a car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
Best wishes with your sale then.
Thanks. I do see your point and I think a lot may depend on the type of car for sale. Not too many joyriders for my 1.5L Lancer.
Old 14-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

It can depend on what type of car you are selling.

When some people are selling performance, collectable or rare cars etc they tend to get a lot of test pilots. You find that you get a lot of people who just want to drive the car so that they can brag to their friends that they have driven that particular type of car. Sometimes you can pick them very easily - they turn up in a beat up wannabe performance car with four of their friends, tell you how much better their car is and then DEMAND a test drive.

Another type of time waster is the one who comes around and just wants to live a memory. Their parent, neighbour, school teacher or whoever had one when they were growing up and they just want to drive it and re-live their childhood with you. I have plenty of friends - I just want to sell my car.

There are also the type of time wasters that want champagne but are only willing to give you beer money. Don't get me wrong I have no issue with someone offering a stupid money for my car - but be prepared to buy it if I say yes!!!! I don't know how many times someone has offered me a price for a car and I have said yes and they have run away like the wind.

An example of a time waster - I was recently selling my EF 5spd wagon with plenty of goodies for $1200. It was in pretty good condition considering it had seen my children grow up in it for over 13 years. It also had to put up with my wife not looking after it to my high standards. I received hundreds of text messages (yes, I am a staunch believer in if you can't afford to make a phone call you can't afford the car). With every enquiry I made it clear the car is 'as is' and while the car has been well serviced I had no written history on the car. I had some kid turn up, grill me for an hour, then drive the car. He got back and said that he didn't want it because it didn't have a service history. He knew that BEFORE he drove the car!!!!!!

It is a fair question but the responses you are getting just show how fustrating time wasters are.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #14
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
I would consider that person as an interested buyer who has spent his time looking at my car. I would welcome his mechanic buddy and answer any questions s/he may have as well as another test drive. Prices are always negotiable and potential buyers need to have time to think.
Are you getting in the car and going with these people when they take it for a test drive?
Old 11-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #15
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Geez - there is a lot of negativity here. I thought it was a reasonable question and not deserving of such bully answers.

I ask as I constantly see adds stating this. The message I get when I read such an add is I may be a timewaster if I do not buy which in turn reduces my willingness to even call. As a potential buyer, I would have thought that the seller would be putting their best image forward rather than draw their lines in the sand.

As a seller of a car, our family always offers a drink, have a chat, allow a test drive and thank them for taking the time to look at our car. Never are there hard feelings if the car is not for them.

This thread is about the terminology used when selling a car and how this may impact the number of responses one gets.
Why dont you tell me where it is you live and what you drive and i will come over, have a free drink, tell you my life story cause you like having a chat and then take your car for a flog. When i get back from the drive, I will tell you that i dont like the way your car drives but thank you for taking the time to spend with me and then drive home laughing at how much a you are and that now i know what a lincoln drives like.

Last edited by GT; 12-06-2013 at 06:53 PM. Reason: no feather references on here
Old 11-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #16
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
Why dont you tell me where it is you live and what you drive and i will come over, have a free drink, tell you my life story cause you like having a chat and then take your car for a flog. When i get back from the drive, I will tell you that i dont like the way your car drives but thank you for taking the time to spend with me and then drive home ****ing myself laughing at how much a wood duck you are and that now i know what a lincoln drives like.
You wouldn't be the first one, nice attitude. That's exactly why dealers have the mindset that some people are only LOOKING and put everyone thru the hoops regardless of their intentions.
Nothing wrong with the OPs way of doing things at all ,unless he was entertaining someone like you of course, in that case you would say his character judgement needed a bit of work.
The last car I sold was done pretty much the same (after the deal was done). you take people as they are and to be honest these days you get so few calls that as long as they turn up alls good .

Last edited by GREGL; 11-06-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #17
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL View Post
You wouldn't be the first one, nice attitude. That's exactly why dealers have the mindset that some people are only LOOKING and put everyone thru the hoops regardless of their intentions.
Nothing wrong with the OPs way of doing things at all ,unless he was entertaining someone like you of course, in that case you would say his character judgement needed a bit of work.
The last car I sold was done pretty much the same (after the deal was done). you take people as they are and to be honest these days you get so few calls that as long as they turn up alls good .

only taking the **** mate. Relax
Old 12-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #18
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thank god for the internet, bugger buying/selling cars in the paper.
This is how it goes for me.

1. Find a car you like on the internet - ie. make, model, colour, km's
2. Go to dealership and look at car to determine what sort of condition it's in.
3. Talk to salesman and test drive car.
4. Go over car thoroughly again, have mechanical inspection.
5. Buy car, drive home.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #19
davistev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
Why dont you tell me where it is you live and what you drive and i will come over, have a free drink, tell you my life story cause you like having a chat and then take your car for a flog. When i get back from the drive, I will tell you that i dont like the way your car drives but thank you for taking the time to spend with me and then drive home ****ing myself laughing at how much a wood duck you are and that now i know what a lincoln drives like.
Dear Gadgetman. I see no point in your reply other than to gain a cheap laugh at my expense. I found it offensive.
Old 14-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #20
AU Mont
Banned

timewaster - sending email asking a couple questions about car, which your able to give the right answers to. Then dont hear from them again?
Old 14-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #21
peteypete
Sunny side up

Personally I look at it as a marketing technique designed to deter smart people who know what to look for in finding a lemon or a dog.
It's almost like saying 'Hey, I'm selling a heap of crap, so if you're smart enough to take it for a test drive and not like it, bugger off. Otherwise, give me your pay check now!'

Not really, but the term is definitely abused. Whilst car shopping in the past, I've gone to test drive or even inspect second hand cars, and discovered I didn't like the car, or something wasn't quite right about it. I suppose that would classify me as a time-waster, but that's only because I didn't hand over my money to owner of tested car. Does that really make me a time waster though? No one wants to buy a car they don't want, so why should they?

As for subcitizen, dole-bludgers who spend their fortnightly pay on alcohol, cigarettes and tattlsotto tickets, that's another story. It's quite easy to tell them apart from normal people, and really, if you're stupid enough to let them get in your beloved vehicle to take it for a test drive well then, I hope to god that it's returned with it's roadworthy tyres and quiet uni joints.
Genies>hi-flow cat>X-Force 2.5" Catback. Stage 2 crow cams. Powerbond 20% Underdrives. Bent tab. BC racing Coilovers. Whiteline Adjustable Swaybars. SS Inductions Growler + XR8 snorkel + Territory intake pipe. More to come. Thread coming soon.

[P]Plater

Past rides:

1998 NL Ghia Concorde (Now Dads car)

1954 Austin A40
Old 14-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #22
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypete View Post
Personally I look at it as a marketing technique designed to deter smart people who know what to look for in finding a lemon or a dog.
It's almost like saying 'Hey, I'm selling a heap of crap, so if you're smart enough to take it for a test drive and not like it, bugger off. Otherwise, give me your pay check now!'

Not really, but the term is definitely abused. Whilst car shopping in the past, I've gone to test drive or even inspect second hand cars, and discovered I didn't like the car, or something wasn't quite right about it. I suppose that would classify me as a time-waster, but that's only because I didn't hand over my money to owner of tested car. Does that really make me a time waster though? No one wants to buy a car they don't want, so why should they?

As for subcitizen, dole-bludgers who spend their fortnightly pay on alcohol, cigarettes and tattlsotto tickets, that's another story. It's quite easy to tell them apart from normal people, and really, if you're stupid enough to let them get in your beloved vehicle to take it for a test drive well then, I hope to god that it's returned with it's roadworthy tyres and quiet uni joints.
As for 'picking' dole-bludgers etc some people are unable to pick out these type of people. Also, some of these people who come looking at your car to steal it are very smart. They are well spoken and dressed. They ask the all of the right questions and do all of the right things.

I don't think that anyone is saying that if someone drives a car and doesn't buy it because they don't like it they are a time waster. However, if you do drive it, why not just come back and tell the seller that it is not the car for them?
Old 14-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #23
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

But you get time wasters for everything you sell. Some mung beans spend all day trawling (or is that trolling) Gumtree and ebay asking stupid or inane questions that are spelt out in the ad or plainly obvious; some people it seems just don't read things and just look at the pictures. Case in point I sold $50 worth of packing boxes on Gumtree recently, my phone number was clearly visible, but I still had muppets sending emails asking stupid questions like "whats ur best price 4 cash" or "how many boxes" even though its spelt out in the ad. Some people are just predisposed to this sort of behaviour I guess.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
2 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #24
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
I am really scruffy looking....Hair rarely done, scraggy goatie, unshaven for a few days and a great big scar over my face...

So would you class me as a dole bludging sub-citizen? Quite possibly....Which suits me fine as I have had people mis-judge me due to my looks and have missed out on thousands of dollars in cold hard earned for their car.....I make a point of opening my wallet when they mis-judge me too, just to rub salt into the wound....

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
4 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #25
peteypete
Sunny side up

If someone stole the car I was selling, calling them a time-waster would be an understatement.
Anywho, letting someone drive off without you in the passenger seat is just downright stupid. I wouldn't care who was buying it. I'd be inclined to sit in the passenger and talk about the car, for obvious reasons.

Well that it what I'm led to believe. Someone who isn't interested in buying the car is a time waster. That seems to be the general summary of this thread no?
Whether it be the intended buyer shooting a small email and never replying, or to what Alan stated, someone wanting to bring out their super qualified prodigy mechanic buddy.
Genies>hi-flow cat>X-Force 2.5" Catback. Stage 2 crow cams. Powerbond 20% Underdrives. Bent tab. BC racing Coilovers. Whiteline Adjustable Swaybars. SS Inductions Growler + XR8 snorkel + Territory intake pipe. More to come. Thread coming soon.

[P]Plater

Past rides:

1998 NL Ghia Concorde (Now Dads car)

1954 Austin A40
Old 14-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #26
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
If someone stole the car I was selling, calling them a time-waster would be an understatement.
Anywho, letting someone drive off without you in the passenger seat is just downright stupid. I wouldn't care who was buying it. I'd be inclined to sit in the passenger and talk about the car, for obvious reasons.

Well that it what I'm led to believe. Someone who isn't interested in buying the car is a time waster. That seems to be the general summary of this thread no?
Whether it be the intended buyer shooting a small email and never replying, or to what Alan stated, someone wanting to bring out their super qualified prodigy mechanic buddy.
Really like that first paragraph. I wouldn't call them a time waster either.

I don't think that someone who isn't interested in buying the car is a time waster. However, I do think that someone who isn't interested in buying any car is a time waster.

Fair enough in regards to the last paragraph. Some people take minutes to decide to buy a car (that is certainly me). However, others take days to decide and need a committee to buy a car - does that mean that they are time wasters? No, probably not.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #27
davistev

I never even imagined this **** happens. I looked further on the internet and found this story of someone who had his car stolen recently during a test drive http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/man-...-1226593132672

I think I have been around nice people for too long!
Old 14-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #28
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Im selling my te50 at the moment,had a guy come look at it,took ages looking over every single detail,liked it alot,took it for a test drive and loved it and couldnt fault it,said he was very keen and never heard from him again,he was a timewaster,just tell the people selling the car you arent interested and be done with it,therego be done with timewasting!
In saying that i just removed the "timewaster and joyriders not welcome" from my ad because i think it scared a few timewasters off...
Timewasters can also be defined as people who are selling cars who dont accurately describe the cars they are selling over the phone,you drive 50km to go look at said car to find out it a rusty piece of dented up dog poop and proceed to abuse the seller for wasting your time...
People who dont have constructive replies to this thread can only be described as timewasters also...
The op obviously needs to find out answers, he doesnt need smartasses looking for a cheap laugh from fellow timewasters who then proceed to like his stupid replies...
3 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #29
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
Timewasters can also be defined as people who are selling cars who dont accurately describe the cars they are selling over the phone,you drive 50km to go look at said car to find out it a rusty piece of dented up dog poop...
Oh that just gives me the.....

Has happened a few times and its usually when you have to travel the other side of the city to have a look....

I love the use of
"fair condition for its age"
"It drives really well"
"has a little bit of rust, size of a 5c piece in the rear quarter"

Recently sold a AU Xcab and as its new owner was checking it out said well you didn't lie in the advert.... Well why lie? My ad was a cracker too... He thought it was hilarious.. and yes he bought it...

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
Old 14-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #30
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pak Addict View Post
why lie?
So you can go onto Australian Ford Forums and complain about tyrekickers not buying your hektik car, that you're apparently giving away.
5 users like this post:
Closed Thread