Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Default Positive SPIN on the Falcon

With all of the negative stuff that we have been reading I thought that I would start a thread that reminds us (for some of us probably points out) the positive aspects of owning a Ford Falcon. This thread specifically puts forward all of the positive aspects of the FG Falcon sedan over some of its competitors. I thought that I would post up some specification comparisons and put a POSITIVE spin on them (yes, I am an ex car salesperson – 12 years with Ford). If this type of thread has been done before, then please delete.

Please don’t reply with something like, “Yeah but the Falcon does not have……” That is not the point of this thread.

I want to make it clear that I am not bagging other models just comparing them and pointing out the positive aspects of the Falcon. It goes without saying, ALL of the models WILL have advantages over the Falcon - to think otherwise would be foolish.

So here goes……

Ecoboost Falcon vs Forester
The Falcon has approximately 42% more power (179kW vs 126kW).

The Falcon has approximately 50% more torque (353Nm vs 235Nm). Also the max torque of the Falcon is at 2000 rpm and the max torque of the Forester is at 4100 rpm. When was the last time you drove your car (constantly) at 4100 rpm?

Despite the Falcon having approximately 42% more power and approximately 50% more torque the Falcon uses exactly the same amount of fuel.

The Falcon also has a larger fuel tank resulting in approximately an extra 100k out of a tank of fuel (840k vs 741k).

The Falcon has approximately 27% more luggage/boot capacity (535L vs 422L).

The Falcon has all of the same safety features that the Forester has – 6 air bags, ABS, EBA, DSC etc

I am also currently researching whether the Forester has some of the following features that the Falcon has such as; Fail Safe Cooling, Grade Control Logic (plus many more).

I have other comparisons to other vehicles and I will post these up in time.

Please add to this if you want to. However please don’t just say for example – it has more console storage space – back it up with some facts and figures.

PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Positive SPIN on the Falcon

I like this thread already!

Great idea!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Thanks for the positive feedback gentlemen - I thought that this thread could go either way - its still early days though.

I have even thought about writing about the advantages of aspects of the car, for example - Virtual Pivot Control Link, Double wishbone front suspension and Control Blade rear suspension (what the advantages of the 'control blade' are). Other things like how the Falcon uses Boron in the steel to strengthen the b pillar of the car, how the driver's footwell is reinforced to help prevent the floor from trapping the drivers feet in the footwell. Gee I could go on for hours!!!

I am open to suggestions/questions about any of the aspects of the Falcon and put a positive story to them.
Old 19-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PG2, what did you find customers cross shopping falcon against in your time as a salesman apart from the Commodore and what was the most common factor in getting or losing a sale? Price or features etc?
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archilino View Post
PG2, what did you find customers cross shopping falcon against in your time as a salesman apart from the Commodore and what was the most common factor in getting or losing a sale? Price or features etc?
People did not just necessarily just shop between the Falcon and Commodore. They would shop between Family cars. These would include large sedans, SUVs and sometimes 4x4 Dual Cabs.

The Falcon (or Commodore for that matter) is not for everyone.

Price did come into it. However, I ask this question when comparing to a smaller car, "When you can't fit that you beaut pram in the boot that you (or your parents) bought for the bub are you going to turn around and say - Oh well at least I saved XXXX dollars?"

How secure is that $1000 pram in the back of the dual cab? After a long day and being sleep deprived from the newborn do you really want to be taking that pram out of the back of it every time you leave the car somewhere?

I think Ford dealership sales people have something to do with the Falcon not selling (lack of training, product knowledge). I am not just talking about the basic product knowledge, for example, the specifications, I am talking about things that people can or do not read about on the internet.

I read on a post somewhere on this forum that one sales person said that why would you buy the Falcon? All I am saying in this thread is, Why Not???

Last edited by PG2; 19-04-2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
This user likes this post:
Old 19-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Focused

I hate to be captain negative, but why are you comparing the Forester to the Falcon? The Forester is smaller, higher and is a wagon. Next you'll be comparing the Falcon to a Corolla praising he Falcon for having more power and a bigger boot.

Why not compare it with the Aurion, Camry, 6, Mondeo, Liberty...etc?
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco351 View Post
I hate to be captain negative, but why are you comparing the Forester to the Falcon? The Forester is smaller, higher and is a wagon. Next you'll be comparing the Falcon to a Corolla praising he Falcon for having more power and a bigger boot.

I think these days many people dont compare different cars in same categories, instead we compare specific cars from different categories. For example on my last purchase i was toying between the handling of a Sedan versus the convienice of an SUV. Somone looking for a Camry will probably not consider a Falcon but may compare it to a Kia Sportage.

So far my buying habits have been in this order: Sports Coupe then Compact SUV, Large Luxury Sedan, Large SUV, Large RWD sedan .......and now?????
Old 19-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:

I appreciate the constructive feedback. However, there have been many posts on here how people are starting a young family and buying SUVs because they are bigger, safer and larger.

What got me started on this was that my sister came to me last week and stated absolute surprise that their Commodore that they bought as a second car had more room in the rear for the two baby seats and could fit the double pram in the boot more easily. Yes, she owns a Forester.

I did say that there was more comparisons coming. My next one is the Ecoboost Vs Camry - that will be posted as early as late tonight.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ironically, THAT is EXACTLY where we need it to be compared. People (except for smart ones like us) don’t buy big RWD sixes anymore (in sufficient quantities.) Convincing somebody that Falcon is better than the Commode, is now rather pointless. That is the whole purpose of the EcoBoost, to convince people that an EB Falcon is better than a Camry, Mazda 6, Hyundai POS, etc.
That is a long hard slog for the EB, and may remain fruitless, but it is the only hope for the Falcon.
Old 19-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do think some dealers have abit to do with the falcon not selling so well, i went to New Oak Ford and no matter how many questions i asked about the falcon he was steering me towards a focus.
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The competitors for Falcon nowadays are cars like Forester, CX5, Rav4 etc. it is good to see someone challenge these vehicles rather than pretending they are not competitors.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #12
Motorbreath310

After recently driving a new Camry from Wollongong to Newcastle and back, and realising that the fuel consumption was not THAT much, if any better than my FG F6, and that the F6 had a much nicer, far more comfortable interior and is a metric tonne-of-fun compared to the A-B appliance Camry. I grew to love my car even more.

Way nicer to drive. Vastly more comfortable. Much better looking. RWD. That engine and gearbox. And the power of knowing you could destroy most other cars you're likely to come across. The power really comes in handy on country roads and when the need to overtake morons arises.

I completed a 4hr drive from out near jerrys plains in the Hunter Valley back to Wollongong yesterday and there are few other cars I would have rather been driving. (within a reasonably comparative price bracket, mind) By the time I reached the F3, I had decided that the FG F6, in my mind at least, is the greatest Aussie production car ever made.

Driving the Camry felt like the automotive equivalent of a castration. Hated it.
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #13
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbreath310 View Post
After recently driving a new Camry from Wollongong to Newcastle and back, and realising that the fuel consumption was not THAT much, if any better than my FG F6, and that the F6 had a much nicer, far more comfortable interior and is a metric tonne-of-fun compared to the A-B appliance Camry. I grew to love my car even more.

Way nicer to drive. Vastly more comfortable. Much better looking. RWD. That engine and gearbox. And the power of knowing you could destroy most other cars you're likely to come across. The power really comes in handy on country roads and when the need to overtake morons arises.

I completed a 4hr drive from out near jerrys plains in the Hunter Valley back to Wollongong yesterday and there are few other cars I would have rather been driving. (within a reasonably comparative price bracket, mind) By the time I reached the F3, I had decided that the FG F6, in my mind at least, is the greatest Aussie production car ever made.

Driving the Camry felt like the automotive equivalent of a castration. Hated it.
I drove a G6E Ecoboost and new Camry Hybrid HL back to back a while ago. The Camry was utterly uninspiring to drive, steering was too light and had very little feel, and nowhere near as much 'get up and go' as the Ecoboost. The G6E Ecoboost was undoubtedly the better driver's car, even though the Camry Hybrid had way better fuel consumption.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #14
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
I drove a G6E Ecoboost and new Camry Hybrid HL back to back a while ago. The Camry was utterly uninspiring to drive, steering was too light and had very little feel, and nowhere near as much 'get up and go' as the Ecoboost. The G6E Ecoboost was undoubtedly the better driver's car, even though the Camry Hybrid had way better fuel consumption.
there is a comparison, Falcon vs hybrid camry, falcon 6 cylinder is cheaper to buy and better for the environment than a hybrid camry as the battery is just plain bad for the environment in itself as they are unable to be disposed of. Not to mention just mining the minerals to make them turns the immediate area into a wasteland
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #15
ShootsWithFilm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezxr8man View Post
there is a comparison, Falcon vs hybrid camry, falcon 6 cylinder is cheaper to buy and better for the environment than a hybrid camry as the battery is just plain bad for the environment in itself as they are unable to be disposed of. Not to mention just mining the minerals to make them turns the immediate area into a wasteland
Also, dont forget, you can also tow with a Falcon. First gen Camry hybrids cannot be used as a tow car. The current camry hybrids have a ****y towing capacity.
ShootsWithFilm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2013, 01:15 AM   #16
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
I drove a G6E Ecoboost and new Camry Hybrid HL back to back a while ago. The Camry was utterly uninspiring to drive, steering was too light and had very little feel,
What I HATE, is when I fly somewhere and the company has booked a “Large Car – Falcon or Commodore,” and they stick me with an Aurion. I can put up with a Commode, but those Aurions are ******* scary. 200kw driving through the front wheels of a car that wallows allover the road and whose steering is so loose you can’t even tell which way the wheels are pointing.
It’s almost like we need TWO distinct types of Falcon. One to sell to the mums and old farts who want to replace their Avalon, and another to appeal to people who like to enjoy cars.

The really rotten part is that with the mining boom, and the AUD at records highs, a lot of blokes can afford 100k Landcruisers, Beemers, and various overpriced rice burners. When the wheel turns, and they can nolonger afford their high-priced imports, I hope Ford still has something to offer besides FWD 4 cylinders.
Old 20-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
What I HATE, is when I fly somewhere and the company has booked a “Large Car – Falcon or Commodore,” and they stick me with an Aurion. I can put up with a Commode, but those Aurions are ******* scary. 200kw driving through the front wheels of a car that wallows allover the road and whose steering is so loose you can’t even tell which way the wheels are pointing.
When I was about 5 (this was the mid 90s and the only things I cared about were EF/L Falcons and E36 BMWs), we went on a holiday to Tassie (I think). The rental company stuck us with a Camry, which made me start sobbing, so they upgraded us to a Falcon for no charge. Considering at the time I idolised my uncle's EF Futura and aunt's NF Fairlane, this pretty much made my week.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #18
efirestorer

Thanks to PG2 for starting this thread. One question you can answer for me , what is Grade Control Logic as mentioned in your original post.?
efirestorer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #19
Phil B
Clevo power!

I believe that the Falcon is one of the best cars for highway cruising.
Especially over long distances and on country roads, Falcons just love cruising.

The purple monster, daily BA XR6 turbo.

Scale Lego Technic XB Coupe with working bits! Build thread
Phil B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #20
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

I love the fact with the falcon they are comfortable lovely to drive and they engines are awesome and the fuel economy is pretty good. They are reliable and cheap to fix when some thing does go wrong. yes they are not perfect i rather drive something that has a bit of personality. none of my falcon's i have owned has been perfect but i don't care.
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #21
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no timing belt on falcons, not sure about eco boost, straight forward to service, bullet proof torquey engines for low stress and long life...... fact !
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #22
Buntz
Straight Eight

I'm going to use that fact when someone tells me they can fit more in a Forester. Although it does have a tail gate making easier to get stuff in... it's not as cavernous.
Old 20-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #23
Rodge
Banned

Great thread. One of the most plesant aspects of the Falcon's is their brilliant sterring feel and response. There's no slop whatsover in the steering, (unlike many other vehicles), and the sterring is very accurate, feelsome and direct.

ZF is another thing many Falcon owners take for granted. This transmission is light years ahead of most other auto boxes, in fact I can attest from personal experience it is vastly better than the 7G Tronic box in a Mercedes-benz !!

How many people have thought, geez there auto's are super responsive and smooth but give it no further thought and have never truly have never realised how fortunate they are.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #24
1TUFFUTE
Banned

2012 FG falcon won SAFEST car you can buy in Australia in the used market. And that's not the lame 5star crash rating...its a full comprehensive real world crash sim that tests front and rear passenger safety.
Suburu did not win Safest car....FACT

Oh and I love the FG Grade speed control feature as where I live it is ALL hills.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #25
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Great thread. One of the most plesant aspects of the Falcon's is their brilliant sterring feel and response. There's no slop whatsover in the steering, (unlike many other vehicles), and the sterring is very accurate, feelsome and direct.

ZF is another thing many Falcon owners take for granted. This transmission is light years ahead of most other auto boxes, in fact I can attest from personal experience it is vastly better than the 7G Tronic box in a Mercedes-benz !!

How many people have thought, geez there auto's are super responsive and smooth but give it no further thought and have never truly have never realised how fortunate they are.
This exactly. And it's not just the Falcon, it's all Fords with the direct, feelsome steering. I know I'm a fan of it, and by comparison, the Commodore steering feel is vague on centre and offers less feel.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #26
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Re: Positive SPIN on the Falcon

On the subject of Grade Logic don't confuse it with the Honda version which in the Jazz we have is HYPERACTIVE!

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2013, 01:00 AM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC View Post
This exactly. And it's not just the Falcon, it's all Fords with the direct, feelsome steering. I know I'm a fan of it, and by comparison, the Commodore steering feel is vague on centre and offers less feel.
agreed, i have liked the falcon steering, even in the early models, not many car makers seem get the ratio and steering feel right.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #28
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

One upside to the poor Falcon sales is that they are not as common, so driving one actually feels a little more exclusive.
Old 21-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #29
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNQracing View Post
One upside to the poor Falcon sales is that they are not as common, so driving one actually feels a little more exclusive.
Precisely, when Ford does switch to the new model next year, there won't be that many in stock to shift either..

The biggest positive out there has to be a new Falcon next year and an updated Territory..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #30
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

We really need to look at the positive side of the Falcon not selling as many cars. We absolutely don’t want to get to the point whereby Ford Oz closes down and many jobs are lost – nobody wants that. The point I am trying to get out there is the next time that someone wants to ‘justify’ their purchase of an alternative car we as proud Ford Falcon owners can come back at them with some of our own justifications as to why the Falcon is so great.

In the last 12 months I have noticed the local taxi company seem to be using more and more Camrys (you know those Hybrid ones!). I say that’s great! Wait until they are running around with 500,000ks on them and there have been a million different smelly, sweaty and drunk people (many of whom would have vomited in the back of them) stinking up the cab. When someone jumps in one and has never experienced a Camry before what do you think their opinion of the Camry will be? The Falcon has put up with that stigma of being a ‘Taxi’ for many years now – let’s see how the Camry the deals with it.

Also, the Falcon, along with the Commodore, seems to have become a middle management vehicle. As a result, within companies some people, I will admit not all, are aspiring to drive one simply because of what it represents – I am a successful person, I have a management position. So within some company structures the Falcon has gone from the Sales persons hack to something that only middle management are ‘allowed’ to drive. How great is that? The Falcon being something that people aspire to.