Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford market share to drop to 4%

This weeks edition of goauto.com.au has an article suggesting because of the announced 2016 plant closures that Fords market share will drop to 4%.

They base their view on Nissans and Mitsubishis aussie assembly plant closures which lead to a very low market share.

I don't agree -it would blow me away when Ford has product like Fiesta/Focus/Kuga/Mondeo/ etc etc.

What do others think?

Old 02-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Default Re: Ford market share to drop to 4%

This the article......?

http://goautomedia.cdn.on.net/goauto...toNews_680.pdf

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 02-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hope not...but Ford does have supply issues with their Euro/Thai models. No one will wait 2 months plus for a car when they can get a Mazda, Hyundai etc in a few days...Are Mondeo's back in production at Ghent ????? or are the workers still on strike ??? The new model Mondeo cann't come soon enough...
Old 02-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
stevz
Banned

I wouldn't care if it dropped to 0%. They gave Australia the middle finger so Australian buyers should give them the middle finger in return.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
I wouldn't care if it dropped to 0%. They gave Australia the middle finger so Australian buyers should give them the middle finger in return.
Really ...... I thought it was the Australian people that gave Ford the middle finger and didn't buy new Falcons?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
Really ...... I thought it was the Australian people that gave Ford the middle finger and didn't buy new Falcons?
Some may need a bit of time to think that through though........

Us ? Me ? no way, it was them......

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
2 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Well who was going to buy the Falcon if nobody knew about it? They released fantastic products like Ecolpi and Ecoboost yet there wasn't even a skerrick of effort put in to advertise and promote the product. Instead they waste money on promoting shoe storage compartments in Fiestas.
Ford wanted local production dead and that is what they got in the end. There was absolutely no fight or effort from them to turn things around. At least Holden are making an effort to stay in Australia.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
GT-spec15

Quote:
Well who was going to buy the Falcon if nobody knew about it? They released fantastic products like Ecolpi and Ecoboost yet there wasn't even a skerrick of effort put in to advertise and promote the product. Instead they waste money on promoting shoe storage compartments in Fiestas.
Yes promoting the models that actually sell...what ridiculous strategy!

Big outlay on Falcon advertising over the past couple of years would have been simply throwing good money away.

Anyway, it would be good to discuss the issue of potential market share drop without senseless ranting and whinging.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Well who was going to buy the Falcon if nobody knew about it? They released fantastic products like Ecolpi and Ecoboost
Wheres your EcoLPi/EB Falcon or even XR6?

I do agree they make some great products in the above but alas folks didnt want them unfortunately.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 02-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Yeah but what could you expect after years and years of poor build quality and crap after sales service!!!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
This user likes this post:
Old 02-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Yeah but what could you expect after years and years of poor build quality and crap after sales service!!!
My first brand new car was a XF ...... had every model since up to the FG (2) and another Terry a few weeks ago. I don't know how many exactly ..... around 30 I think? Now ...... the reason I buy? BECAUSE OF THE QUALITY and AFTER SALES SERVICE. You might not believe this ..... I do as do many others who have chosen a Ford over other cars.. Have also had Audi and currently a BMW (& a few others thrown in) ALWAYS have gone back to Ford for the above.

Years and years of crap quality? Sell what you got and go buy something else ...... PLEASE?????? No one I can see have forced you to drive your pieces of rubbish??? This I do not understand and just utterly am bewildered with.

Why the hell do you keep buying them? Really really am interested???????

Those who whinge with what they have bought continually through choice. Totally gobsmacks me every time.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
8 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Old 02-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
You can't be serious ?
Old 02-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
You can't be serious ?
Probably never purchased a new Falcon either.
- Antz Turboside Intake
5 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #15
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
How so? They were hemorrhaging money due to Australians not buying Fords and the high Aussie dollar. Ford Global are in the business of making money, not losing money.
6 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
do any australian companies make computers - they either turned their back on australian's or just never actually cared years ago

so why are you here - i assume you must be using a computer of some kind
unless you can network with just your australian made brain, then i cannot see how you can be here going by your views on saying no to imports
8 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #17
GT-spec15

Quote:

I would like to think it won't plummet too much, because their other cars are pretty well regarded in the market. From memory Mitsu's lineup was a bit stale when they shut up shop.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #18
WPR1

Quote:
Can't blame Ford, it is a business not a charity, we need to blame the Australian car buying public who haven't supported our local product.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #19
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPR1 View Post
Can't blame Ford, it is a business not a charity, we need to blame the Australian car buying public who haven't supported our local product.
So the decisions to decontent the cars, not seek export markets, repeatedly ignore problems with the dealer network, appoint useless yank executives to run the place and fail to issue proper recalls when needed were the public's fault?

Thats before we talk about marketing, the save a dollar today, loose five tomorrow corporate thinking at Ford Australia and the complete shambles that was and still is their marketing and customer relationship side of the business.

I had no idea the market was to blame for all of that.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #20
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
So the decisions to decontent the cars, not seek export markets, repeatedly ignore problems with the dealer network, appoint useless yank executives to run the place and fail to issue proper recalls when needed were the public's fault?

Thats before we talk about marketing, the save a dollar today, loose five tomorrow corporate thinking at Ford Australia and the complete shambles that was and still is their marketing and customer relationship side of the business.

so, falcon and commodore (as we know them) are being discontinued at the same time and yet the market isn't a factor? how is it that 2 products that sold side by side can finish at approximately the same time, and yet one is to blame and the other not? mystery.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #21
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post

Are you saying that your list of issues lead to the downfall of the FALCON in Australia?

In my view, It's a number of reasons and the only one in your list that MAY have saved FALCON is exports but I doubt it. Commodore will follow Falcon in 2016 and they do have an export market.

Facts are, Aust is too small a market to support unique cars nowadays, there are more models/brands on the market than ever, large cars have been replaced by SUV's and its too expensive to build in Aus now. That's not Fords fault and it can't really be blamed on the public, they are spoilt for choice and will buy what they like, nothing wro ng with that.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #22
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

No they didn't...they are closing down at the end of 2016, honouring there commitment of the government grant, producing a updated falcon for one last hurrah.

The "middle finger" came from factors that include the global economic climate and some poor decisions by our own government.

Yes Ford could have done some things different, but hindsight is hindsight...

Wishing a company to collapse, therefor wishing the loss of even more jobs, shows very little maturity and intelligence...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
3 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #23
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I think the difference is that Ford will transition to more imported sales in the next two years
as we finally get access to a decent SUVs like Kuga and Ecosport, the problem for FoA
has always been those glaring gaps in showroom products that competitors capitalize on
and the continuing over reliance on Falcon to just carry the whole lot along regardless..

Decent supplies of Fiesta, Focus Kuga, Territory, Ecosport and of course when they eventually arrive,
Mondeo and Ranger SUV will give Ford a fighting chance, this isn't all about Falcon anymore.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #24
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Hope not...but Ford does have supply issues with their Euro/Thai models. No one will wait 2 months plus for a car when they can get a Mazda, Hyundai etc in a few days...Are Mondeo's back in production at Ghent ????? or are the workers still on strike ??? The new model Mondeo cann't come soon enough...
Hyundai have quoted me 2 day delivery on a new Veloster Turbo.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #25
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

As above, if Ford can strengthen supply of the imports to OZ it may not go that low. Hopefully thats the case.
Cant rely on locally made cars anymore.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 02-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #26
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
As above, if Ford can strengthen supply of the imports to OZ it may not go that low. Hopefully thats the case.
Cant rely on locally made cars anymore.
And as Ford gains more income and sales for those new products, the business case strengthens
for more products to come and flesh out the showroom a bit more...
Old 02-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #27
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
And as Ford gains more income and sales for those new products, the business case strengthens
for more products to come and flesh out the showroom a bit more...
Read my mind. Please give me a 2.3L Ecoboost Fiesta RS But i know what you mean in regards to new models, my suggestion probably, re wont happen but i can dream.
- Antz Turboside Intake
2 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Lets face it the Australian people weren't really buying large cars as much as the other types that are popular today:

- Dual cab 4x4
- SUV
- Small car

So its also Ford's fault for not keeping up with the trend, not just the new car buyer.

You can say its the peoples fault as much as you want, but if Ford Australia doesn't make what you want, you probably wouldn't throw down $35K on something you don't like.

I've bought two new Fords since 2009, come close to it being a Falcon only once.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #29
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
You can say its the peoples fault as much as you want, but if Ford Australia doesn't make what you want, you probably wouldn't throw down $35K on something you don't like
no one expects them to, but the fact is, that for whatever reason, australian's turned their back on ford australia long ago
ford na have kept ford aus in business for many years - would you keep working for your boss if you had to pay him for the privilege . . . . assuming you wouldn't, neither would ford na be happy to just keep giving money to ford aus
Old 02-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #30
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Lets face it the Australian people weren't really buying large cars as much as the other types that are popular today:

- Dual cab 4x4
- SUV
- Small car

So its also Ford's fault for not keeping up with the trend, not just the new car buyer.

You can say its the peoples fault as much as you want, but if Ford Australia doesn't make what you want, you probably wouldn't throw down $35K on something you don't like.

I've bought two new Fords since 2009, come close to it being a Falcon only once.
i'm confused. are you saying that ford don't offer a dual cab 4x4, suv or small car??? or do you think that ford australia should have built all those cars even though they are being built elsewhere in the ford global empire at a fraction of the cost!!

it is a shame that manufacturing locally will cease, but ford products are still ford products and they have a product on offer in every category.

its amazing the continual criticism on here that thinks that FoA needs to be all things to all people. as far as i see it, they were responsible for the large car segment. that has tanked and so its hard to justify continuing production in australia.

also, commodore is also finishing up at same time as falcon, so the continual bagging of the actual ford product is pretty much unfounded.
Closed Thread