Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-10-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
james22
With da Warlords

Default NSW Legalities - RE; Shaved Door Handles

: Ok. So i've been through a few threads, but the issue is very unclear. And with a bit of a search i've come up with nada. :

I want to know, specifically for NSW, what the rules and regs state about shaved door handles. I don't want hear say, rumours, etc etc.

If anybody can provide a link to the rta, govt, etc, clearly stating the legalities of this it would be of great use to me, and perhaps anyone else interested in doing this in the future.

If i have seen it posted that it is legal, as long as you have a mechanical means of accessing the car, and possibly engineered? I have also seen that, track days might be out of the question if you proceed with this mod. If anyone could clear this issue up once and for all that would be great.

Regards

James

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know in NSW you need to have a mechanical means of entry

a few laser guys i know (DFROST and another one i cant remember) have ran a bicycle brake cable to the mirror so you can push the mirror to open the door

other minitruckers extend the rod that the handle normally attached to and run it so it just pokes out the TOP of the door
and fit a fancy head on it (like a bullet or somthing) and you press that to open the door but hte door looks smooth due to having the handle and lock filled in etc..

the ONLY issue is when your battery goes flat or the solinoid dies that unlocks your car..
Old 17-10-2007, 05:40 PM   #3
hrdcor

G'day james,

You can get it done but you must have a mechanical means as Blackers said. To get some good info on how and all the regs etc, checkout the minitruck forum on boostcruisin.com.

Went down the minitruck route before I got my lane and decided it really wasn't worth the dramas (QLD being a of a state to modify a ute in).

There are ways around battery death too, such as a boot realease cable behind a tailight, that allows entry just by unscrewing the light. Sorry for the long reply, good luck and if you go with it, would love to see a buildup.
Old 17-10-2007, 05:52 PM   #4
EA2BA
PM me if you want

When I had my door locks removed on my XF (still had handles) with remote entry only, i was worried about flat battery, I just added a hidden extra cable under the frint guard that I can pull to open the bonnet. My theory was jump some power to the battery and the doors can then be opened.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that would also help ea2ba

also check out downundertruckin.com they are a good bunch of minitruckers from all over aus.. should be some threads in there that will help you greatly!!
Old 18-10-2007, 12:32 AM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

James can be done, there are kits from the US that make it a very easy job apparently. But with AU's having a remote designed by the lovechild of Bill Gates and Satan, I dunno if id trust it. The amount of times Ive wanted to run mine over its not funny.