Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 23-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Question Upgrading from WS Fiesta to LW Focus (Advice)

Hey all,

Mrs LeadFoot81 wants to upgrade from her WS Fiesta Zetec to an LW Focus Sport (hatch), for many reasons, but mainly the interior:

- Nicer materials on the inside

- Lots of tech that just isn't available on the Fez

- Most importantly however, she perceives the Focus to have a lot more space on the inside which she needs as opposed to wanting all the perks/luxuries that the Focus offers.

As far as I can tell from google researching, the Focus hatch has 277 litres for the hatch but with the rear seats in the hatch folded down you get 1062 litres overall. The sedan is listed as 372 litres, but I figure it can't compete with the practicality of a hatchback.

The WS/WT Fiesta meanwhile is listed as having 295 litres of space, 979 litres with the seats down.

So ignoring the numbers, can anyone who has switched from a Fiesta to the Focus tell me what the rear 'cargo' area is like in the real world? The numbers suggest very similar (slightly less actually) storage in the Focus..but (for example) is the rear opening larger, making it easier to get tuff in and out? Is the Focus wider, but the cargo area slightly shorter due to sexy, swoopy styling? Or should we consider a Mondeo wagon if space and versatility is the issue? We also value the smaller footprint of a Focus over Mondeo so we'd like a good balance between space available inside, and space taken up outside.

Also how does the 2.0 Auto Focus drive? Figures for power and consumption look pretty good on paper. Are the autos in these things a problem? We're used to regular slush boxes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Imolator
Quad Cam

Default Re: Upgrading from WS Fiesta to LW Focus (Advice)

I went from a WT Zetec to a LW2 sports hatch, cargo room is better than the Fez. The focus has 316 litres with space saver spare in place. Also has 4 bag hooks compared to 2 in the fez. Easier to get stuff in and out as well.

If you are only used to slush box auto I suggest a good long test drive as the dct has a totally different feel, more like a manual. They aren't really at there best in stop start traffic, I use manual mode in those situations.

Other than that the engine transmission combo has been great for me, I've always hated the disconnected feel of slush box autos, some don't though.

All in all the focus sports is a huge upgrade over the fez, pretty much better everywhere really.
Imolator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Thanks Imolator!

The Mrs had a good look at, and test drive of, a Titanium hatch and the cabin is pretty cavernous, and access into the rear hatch and back seat is better than the Fiesta. She liked the quality of the interior materials and all the gadgets, and loved the way it drove (she described it as effortless power)

She put a deposit down and we're picking the car up on Saturday. We got a great changeover price and Ford's 2.9% finance sealed the deal.

Pics to come!
Old 26-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Imolator
Quad Cam

Congratulations I'm sure your wife will really enjoy the Titanium.

If she doesn't know already the Titanium has a 1 meter larger turning circle than the rest of the range due to the 18" alloys and use of rack limiters to stop the wheels rubbing.

Not something most people notice during a test drive, but you will the first time you do one.

Look forward to seeing the pics, what colour did you get?

Last edited by Imolator; 26-06-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 26-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
Imolator
Quad Cam

Lol I was supposed to type that you will notice the first time you do a u turn.
Old 26-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #6
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imolator View Post
Congratulations I'm sure your wife will really enjoy the Titanium.

If she doesn't know already the Titanium has a 1 meter larger turning circle than the rest of the range due to the 18" alloys and use of rack limiters to stop the wheels rubbing.

Not something most people notice during a test drive, but you will the first time you do one.

Look forward to seeing the pics, what colour did you get?
Thanks for the heads up mate. She didn't notice the larger turning circle but she did some reversing and tight manoeuvring in an alley and was more concerned with "how awesome" the rear view camera (and predictive 'race line' on the ICC screen) are. She said the steering was light and the car was easy to drive. I'm looking forwards to having a crack myself!

The colour is Ingot Silver, looks fantastic in the pics (with the blacked out sports headlights and 18" wheels) and I'm sure it will look tight in the metal!
Old 30-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Picked the car up yesterday, what a machine! Looks aggressive and stylish on the outside, it's like the starship Enterprise on the inside, and goes like a bullet! Great on juice too.

Just one small pic so far:

Last edited by LeadFoot81; 03-07-2015 at 01:59 PM.