Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
TheSly1

Default How do i fix this oil leak.. please?

hey guys got a s2 au falcon dedicated gas.. 6 cyl

ive got a fairly constant oil leak and i tracked it down today to one of the bolts on the front left pulley on the motor (the one next to the power steering pump pulley) when i pulled the bolt out, oil came out (of course)

So i compared it against a mates one and he has the same bolt and same setup...

looks to me its a bush or such and the bolt seals up on that, but i cant work out why its leaking..

anyone had this issue?

TheSly1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
hagarone

Default Re: How do i fix this oil leak.. please?

Oil leaks are a pain. there is a seal in there. I got my one fixed about a month ago.
hagarone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSly1
hey guys got a s2 au falcon dedicated gas.. 6 cyl

ive got a fairly constant oil leak and i tracked it down today to one of the bolts on the front left pulley on the motor (the one next to the power steering pump pulley) when i pulled the bolt out, oil came out (of course)

So i compared it against a mates one and he has the same bolt and same setup...

looks to me its a bush or such and the bolt seals up on that, but i cant work out why its leaking..

anyone had this issue?

When I mucked around with the timeing chain tensior, I undid this blot. I put some gasket goo on it to help resell it when I finished. No leaks
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Just make sure that bolt and the two above are tight. Is it leaking from behind the head of the bolt or the bracket?

Just put a bitta silastic on it and tighten it up.
Old 26-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
Kryton

Must be an AU thing.
Mines leaking there too.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
TheSly1

yeh the only thing i could think was maybe its a bit askew, so I might try loosen the 3 bolts and then evenly tighten them up.. i tried a bit of silastic today but it leaked still..

gaz to answer ur question it appears to be leaking at the bolt head.. i might just pull the whole bracket off again and reset it.. im sure its that simple.
Old 26-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #7
TheSly1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagarone
Oil leaks are a pain. there is a seal in there. I got my one fixed about a month ago.

hey mate can you tell me about this seal? or anyone else know?
Old 26-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSly1
hey mate can you tell me about this seal? or anyone else know?
If its the long thin blot it has a small O ring at the end
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 26-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

It's not from the cam chain tensioner behind the power steer pump bracket is it????

It's definitely a common AU trait ... and they bleed out from there like anything.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
It's not from the cam chain tensioner behind the power steer pump bracket is it????

It's definitely a common AU trait ... and they bleed out from there like anything.
Thats where mine was coming from
UK
Old 26-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #11
TheSly1

nah definatly not, been there done that, but i ran it for 5 mins after id cleaned it up and it was dripping from just below the bolt lip..

reading up on another post looks like ill pull it all off and use some orings to help seal it up..

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11336109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k

Old 27-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
_Ben
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any idea how much a mechanic would charge to fix this? I've currently got this problem, but I have other things to deal with so I can't really do it myself atm.
_Ben is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if your losing lots of oil it can also be leaking from the timing chain tensioner plug/bolt/adjuster,
and it can deceptively look like it`s coming from elsewhere, if sealing up the bolt/s on the front does`nt help i`d be having a good look at the tensioner o` ring.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
_Ben
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Since you can't edit on here: I managed to get access to the bolt, did it up a bit and the oil leak has stopped. Not a permanent solution, but it solved the side effects :P
_Ben is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well done !
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #16
Kryton

Did mine today as well.
Had been leaking for a while buy the looks of things.
The bolt was a whole 1/2 turn loose as well.
Bit of a clean and some gasket goo, and so far its all good.
Ill keep an eye on it though.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #17
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've just been investigating a leak (first time since I bought the car in 2005 that it has spotted my driveway :( ) and it seems to be coming from the same place as the OP's bolt. Top two are tight as, but the third one, arrow in the OP pic, went half a turn without much trouble. Will see if that fixes it, although I'm probably being a bit optimistic. Why do these bolts go all the way through to the oil gallery???
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #18
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan194 View Post
I've just been investigating a leak (first time since I bought the car in 2005 that it has spotted my driveway :( ) and it seems to be coming from the same place as the OP's bolt. Top two are tight as, but the third one, arrow in the OP pic, went half a turn without much trouble. Will see if that fixes it, although I'm probably being a bit optimistic. Why do these bolts go all the way through to the oil gallery???
Why is the Pope Catholic?
Never let logic get in the way of car and engine design.
Hope the fix works for you
UK

PS Not having a go at Rowan or the Pope.
Old 20-03-2013, 02:58 AM   #19
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

No.4 Permatex gasket cement is your friend. Dip the thread in it or paint it on the thread with the brush in the bottle when you put the bolt in and your leak should go away.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: