Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 18-02-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Old farts at super markets

I have just had the enormous pleasure of shopping at a local supermarket, in this case Coles, and I can now fully understand why automatic weapons are banned.

As it was saturday arvo every person over the age of 60 was there to pick up the "end of week specials". The most dangerous place to be in the world is not Iraq or on the edge of a volcano, it is anywhere that is near an item that is just about to be discounted. The "old fart radar" can sense 5c off on Tinned giraffe snot and they come running at warp factor 6.

Then when you finally escape the wrinkly hoardes you have to go to the checkout. Why is it each line has at least one who has discount vouchers from 1996 but insists thay are valid, challenges the price of every second item and my absolute favorite, pays in blocks of $30 to maximize their petrol discount, a whole 4c per litre off. Now this may seem a sensible thrifty methodology but the discount is for Shell and the nearest Shell is over 40km away!

So as all my frozen stuff is melting and the old farts are scratching around to save that extra 20c I decided to NEVER SHOP AT COLES AGAIN EVER, I do not care if they are cheaper.
I am now looking for the MOST EXPENSIVE shop in town because although it will cost more at least I can buy stuff without being attacked, delayed, annoyed and perturbed....

/end rant

Old 18-02-2006, 07:31 PM   #2
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Sounds like you are not looking forwards in becomming old...er
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 18-02-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So you had a nice time shopping then I gather
Old 18-02-2006, 07:31 PM   #4
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I have just had the enormous pleasure of shopping at a local supermarket, in this case Coles, and I can now fully understand why automatic weapons are banned.

As it was saturday arvo every person over the age of 60 was there to pick up the "end of week specials". The most dangerous place to be in the world is not Iraq or on the edge of a volcano, it is anywhere that is near an item that is just about to be discounted. The "old fart radar" can sense 5c off on Tinned giraffe snot and they come running at warp factor 6.

Then when you finally escape the wrinkly hoardes you have to go to the checkout. Why is it each line has at least one who has discount vouchers from 1996 but insists thay are valid, challenges the price of every second item and my absolute favorite, pays in blocks of $30 to maximize their petrol discount, a whole 4c per litre off. Now this may seem a sensible thrifty methodology but the discount is for Shell and the nearest Shell is over 40km away!

So as all my frozen stuff is melting and the old farts are scratching around to save that extra 20c I decided to NEVER SHOP AT COLES AGAIN EVER, I do not care if they are cheaper.
I am now looking for the MOST EXPENSIVE shop in town because although it will cost more at least I can buy stuff without being attacked, delayed, annoyed and perturbed....

/end rant
Dude. you should try going shopping on pension day....
Old 18-02-2006, 07:33 PM   #5
max^power
Formerly au^ute

I feel your pain mate. They are also a hassle at the park, when they yell at me to "slow down" during a cycling time trial.

We'll all get old one day, but some people just shouldn't be living in built up areas if they can't share a 2m wide concrete path.

As for getting thrifty, the oldies take it too far. Why can't the supermarkets have an "Over 65" or a "Tightwad" checkout lane too?
Old 18-02-2006, 07:35 PM   #6
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
hahahaha ... so true thou :
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
Old 18-02-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
I actually now understand why here in Moronfield they have 2 Woolworths so close to each other...
The old(er) people go to the one on ground level.. whilst the other younger ones seem to flock to the one with the crazy escalators and other shops :

So many advantages to shopping online I think
Old 18-02-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
xr8chick
HSV - I Just Ate One!

ah it's all good then i have a long time to go though!! rofl
Old 18-02-2006, 08:30 PM   #9
GTS_300_Coupe
Mandy Moore FTW!

HA! You think YOU have got it hard going shopping?
Try actually working there at the supermarket!

I work part time at Target and on pensioners day all these old people (god this annoys the hell out of me) take forever to process their sales.
On top of that, they pay anything with $50 notes and rape my cash till of any change.
They are even more annoying in the shops than they are on the road.
Old 18-02-2006, 08:43 PM   #10
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by max^power
As for getting thrifty, the oldies take it too far.
My grandmother spends $10 a week on food. All Homebrand. She doesn't have the fridge running either.
She has small indoor plants which she uses to hang old tea bags on to dry them out, before using them again...and again.
She has grown her hair long because in her opinion "it's the fashion" (not because she's too tight to get it cut?), and uses $4.00 hair dye in red, which won't take to her grey hair and comes out bright orange.
Oh, and she turns off the power at the mains everynight before bed.

Worst part is, she comes in shopping at the store I work at, everyone knows her, and they know we're related. It's so embarrassing.

I'm trying to forget the time she slapped one of my workmates across the head for daring to suggest she buy a more expensive hair dye that would cover grey, or abusing the same girl about the floor sticker advertising insect spray depicting roaches crawling out of a drain, then when she didn't understand what the girl was saying, yelled at her "Don't you speak english dear?" (This workmate is deaf), and when she pointed out her hearing aid, was then told she shouldn't be working in a job where she had to speak to customers, she should be out the back "where no one can see you".

*Edit* I should add that my grandmother owns ~9 properties (that we know of), and has a 2/3 share in the family business, which has about 4 more properties. She isn't short of money, though she'd like everyone to believe she's a poor pensioner.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford

Last edited by Feathers; 18-02-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old 18-02-2006, 08:49 PM   #11
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate every aspect of grocery shopping. It just makes me angry...

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
Old 18-02-2006, 10:52 PM   #12
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Haha, I love old people stories. By that I means stories about old people, I definately don't like stories told by old people, last one I listened to was why trams were better than buses.
Old 18-02-2006, 11:08 PM   #13
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
My grandmother spends $10 a week on food. All Homebrand. She doesn't have the fridge running either.
She has small indoor plants which she uses to hang old tea bags on to dry them out, before using them again...and again.
She has grown her hair long because in her opinion "it's the fashion" (not because she's too tight to get it cut?), and uses $4.00 hair dye in red, which won't take to her grey hair and comes out bright orange.

Worst part is, she comes in shopping at the store I work at, everyone knows her, and they know we're related. It's so embarrassing.

I'm trying to forget the time she slapped one of my workmates across the head for daring to suggest she buy a more expensive hair dye that would cover grey, or abusing the same girl about the floor sticker advertising insect spray depicting roaches crawling out of a drain, then when she didn't understand what the girl was saying, yelled at her "Don't you speak english dear?" (This workmate is deaf), and when she pointed out her hearing aid, was then told she shouldn't be working in a job where she had to speak to customers, she should be out the back "where no one can see you".

*Edit* I should add that my grandmother owns ~9 properties (that we know of), and has a 2/3 share in the family business, which has about 4 more properties. She isn't short of money, though she'd like everyone to believe she's a poor pensioner.

Methinks a nomination for the most classic AFF post!... Feathers, My tummys hurtin from laughing... Flappist, I concurr totally!! How bout compulsary euthanasia at 55?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 18-02-2006, 11:38 PM   #14
aimzes
...fairly odd

yeah the supermarket is bad. i work long hours mon-fri so i have to shop sat or sun its not that they are heaps slow at the checkout they dawdle through the isles. and f**k me dead today i almost lost it. they had two trolleys side by side chatting about which dog biscuits to get. dead set 1 choose a brand, 2 if its fully grown get adult if not get puppy.... or just buy the normal one. your dogs age group doesnt change on a daily f-ing basis. get the one you bought last week.

i find they are worse in the bread dept. they squeez all the roles to check the freshness.

but what really p****s me off is when they INSIST on going to the bank or post office at lunch time or 4pm when its about to close. those are the only f-ing times i can get away from work THEY HAVE ALL DAY! s**t if i had all day to do s**t id be up there 5 mins before its open to get it out of the way.
Old 18-02-2006, 11:54 PM   #15
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

I intend on becoming one of these aforementioned annoying old farts when (if?!?!) I reach that age. I'll be sufficiently p!ssed off with the stupid and ungrateful younger generations to make them pay by forcing them to wait and endure endless stories and grievances.

Excellent!!!!!
Old 19-02-2006, 12:06 AM   #16
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Flappist:
Birthday:
May 16, 1959

Sorry mate.. you are an old fart!

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 19-02-2006, 12:09 AM   #17
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
Methinks a nomination for the most classic AFF post!... Feathers, My tummys hurtin from laughing...
I got the same reaction Charlie! Thats a nomination for Triple M's tightarse Tuesday! (no offense intended feathers, it's a funny story!)

It's no wonder you see the old fart husbands sitting on the provided seats in shopping centres, that way they dont have to put up with the ladies rumaging through the bargain boxes for cheap buys, getting incontinance nappies or looking at general old people's stuff like doilies, pot pourri, mothballs for the wardrobe or packs of worther;s originals.

When I'm that age I'll be the same, on the seats looking at the scenery!
Old 19-02-2006, 12:10 AM   #18
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
Methinks a nomination for the most classic AFF post!... Feathers, My tummys hurtin from laughing...
I have SO many more stories... she can be very nasty, and quite spiteful at times (usually always the worst times).
She will never miss an opportunity to put you down, or try to show how intelligent she thinks she is because she watches TV and has been around the world 3 times.

In fact last week she told me I may as well kill myself because I have no desire to travel like she did, and I don't watch tv, so I would never learn anything.

The only reason I still tolerate her is for my inheritance.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

Old 19-02-2006, 12:12 AM   #19
Aeron
DJR Fan

I work at Woolworths. And yes, old people suck
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Old 19-02-2006, 12:19 AM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

As it was saturday arvo every person over the age of 60 was there to pick up the "end of week specials". /end rant
Serves you right for living in the retirement capital of OZ
Old 19-02-2006, 12:31 AM   #21
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Flappist:
Birthday:
May 16, 1959

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
Old 19-02-2006, 12:39 AM   #22
Blue Thunder 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Flappist:
Birthday:
May 16, 1959

No, he is not an old fart yet. He did say over 60, so in about another 13 or so years Flappist, you to will be behaving like your grandmother. : Ha Ha!!!
Scarey isn't it? :togo:

Shane
Old 19-02-2006, 01:00 AM   #23
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have just had the enormous pleasure of shopping at a local supermarket, in this case COLES, and I can now fully understand why automatic weapons are banned.

The wrinklies pay in blocks of $30 to maximize their petrol discount, a whole 4c per litre off. Now this may seem a sensible thrifty methodology but the discount is for Shell and the nearest Shell is over 40km away!

So I decided to NEVER SHOP AT COLES AGAIN EVER

/end rant
Flappist you poor sausage, you should take the time to drive down to Woolies at Urangan where you could also take advantage of the 4c off voucher as the Woolies servo is just out the front. Don't forget to buy in $30 blocks!
And drop in and say hello to my old mate Chris Hill at the jewellery store.

Pedro.
Old 19-02-2006, 01:06 AM   #24
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers

This is a the same grandmother that gives you recycled Christmas and Birthday presents isn't it?
Old 19-02-2006, 02:39 AM   #25
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14A-Mclaren
This is the same grandmother that gives you recycled Christmas and Birthday presents isn't it?
How'd you guess? :

She also points out (repeatedly) to the quadriplegic friend of ours that comes over, that he's getting too fat and he needs to exercise. :

Old 19-02-2006, 08:41 AM   #26
F6man
force fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Serves you right for living in the retirement capital of OZ
Yeah got friends that live there & it was full of old farts when I was there last october for a visit.
One thing I can say in defence was it was also full of young female backpackers! if you get my drift?? :

Flappist didn't say anything about the carpark demo darby getting in & out of the joint/ :
Old 19-02-2006, 12:58 PM   #27
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
or looking at general old people's stuff like doilies, pot pourri, mothballs for the wardrobe or packs of worther;s originals.
Haha I thought the mothballs were for their clothes pockets, I mean they seem to bloody stink of them.

Quote:
When I'm that age I'll be the same, on the seats looking at the scenery!
You sure the old farts aren't just trying to picture their happy place?

Anyway yes I too hate old people at the supermarket. Especially ones who pay with bloody 5 cent pieces. Actually I hate supermarkets full stop.
Old 19-02-2006, 01:00 PM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6man
Yeah got friends that live there & it was full of old farts when I was there last october for a visit.
One thing I can say in defence was it was also full of young female backpackers! if you get my drift?? :

Flappist didn't say anything about the carpark demo darby getting in & out of the joint/ :
Ah no I have that one sorted. I ALWAYS park as far from the entrance as possible. The only problem is that it seems like every time I return to the car there is a boganmobile parked next to it and handprints all over my nice clean paint.

As far as the definition of "old fart". There are old people and there are old farts.
Old people are just people who have lived longer. They are the same as they were when they were younger.
Old farts on the other hand are self centred, obnoxious, obtuse individuals who do not care about anyone but themselves and believe the world owes them.

Example of old fart behavior. On a holiday tour, free coffee, tea and bikkies are provided. Old farts fill their pockets with tea bags, sugar sachettes, bikkies etc. even though others have not had a cuppa yet.

/end rant (again)
Old 19-02-2006, 02:16 PM   #29
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The old farts are such a pain in supermarkets. The two trolleys side by side is a classic example. That or stopping the trolley then standing next to it while looking through the Depends. It's just inconsiderate - and they say younger people are rude. If I stop my trolley, I'll make sure other people with trolleys can get past. But usually an old fart will come up and stop their trolley..... right next to mine. Or else they walk their trolley right down the middle.
This is why I shop in the evening. Takes me 35 mins to leave home, drive up the road to the shops, shop, and take it home. The only problem is that only 2 checkouts are open with 15 people queued up at the checkouts at 10pm, but the aisles are pretty clear. I figure it's better to do shopping during the week at night than waste my weekend free time. I work 2 jobs too, so I usually have 2-3 hours free at night to have dinner and relax before I need to go to sleep.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
Old 19-02-2006, 02:26 PM   #30
Yummy Mummy

I drove out of the supermarket carpark last night, and this old guy almost backed out into my car. I beeped the horn and kept driving, then from the back seat, my 5 year old yells out "shlemiel" (a'hole in Yiddish)

The hate of the grey army at the supermarket starts at a very young age.
Closed Thread