Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
gtfpv
GT

Default Should my smart daughter complain ?

as some of you know i have a pretty smart academic daughter . ever since she started high school she has topped her year in both mid year and end year reports with DUX .
She is now in year 9 and has just received her 1/2 yearly report . with 1st in year .
however she has found an error , as one of her 1/2 yearly exams was marked incorrectly by a teacher . in fact 2 questions in this exam were left out ( unmarked) mistakenly by the test marker .
what has this caused ?

well to put it simply she came 1st in every subject bar one
7 out of 8 subjects she got 1st position . the 8th subject she got 2nd , which is where the error in test marking comes in . if those 2 questions hadnt been missed . ( they were correct answers ) my daughter would 've got 1st in that subject also ( which happened to be food tech) .
this would of given her a perfect 1st in every subject report !!!!!

she still topped the year by a long shot with her lowest score of 97% in food tech.
should she complain ????

gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #2
gtfpv
GT

Default Re: Should my smart daughter complain ?

Well her dad isn't so smart . Couldn't even put this thread in the 'Bar' !!!
2 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

By rights she shouldn't have to complain. Let her simply point out the error with evidence of her answer being correct and they should rectify it. If they don't, then it will be time to complain.
Old 16-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Yes. I teach high school and never finalise marks till I have a 2nd set if eyes check my tallies (generally the owner of the paper). They find a mistake on average 1 in every 50 booklets. But I understand that to some students this is a big deal, which is why I do what I do. After all, teachers are human and make mistakes like everyone else.

I invite my students to always challenge and question me. Makes for individual thinking and a more interesting class.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv View Post
Well her dad isn't so smart . Couldn't even put this thread in the 'Bar' !!!
So your daughter is adopted?
Old 16-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

She should challenge it, most definitely.
Missed marking is missed marking and should be rectified.

A good portion of my marks in high School and uni came from.questioning the teacher/tutor/lecturer, and it was never on something as obvious as that.

She's got a promising future either way though!
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess this comes down to your definition of complaining

I'm with Yellow on this

I would advise her to simply talk to the teacher of the subject and point out the error she has found,

I would be surprised if the teacher isn't interested in the error and will rectify the problem

I don't think a going in guns blazing formal complaint will help anyone or benifit your daughter in the long run.

I also think it's important for your daughter to attempt to deal with the situation in person, shes a young adult and should be starting to sort out problems on her own, (obviasly you can assist and guide her), but its important she learns how to resolve problmes as they arise.

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shes obviously worked hard and is due her results , bring it to their attention on the QT , no point humiliating the teacher publically . If that does not work then and only then lodge a formal complaint .
Old 17-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Yup
Exactly what the others said.
Just bring it to the teachers attention
I'm sure it will get fixed and she will feel much better about it.
Teacher will prob be happy its been pointed out!
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

As said earlier, take it up with the teacher & go from there.

I can understand her pain, being THIS close to perfection is so painful it's not funny. Esp when it's a situation out of your control.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I'd definitely bring it up simply out of fairness, the marks are hers. However at the same time I wouldn't lose sleep over it at this stage in her career- the marks only start to matter in year 11 and 12 where the student's ranking will determine in part how their HSC marks are scaled.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #12
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Can't hurt to ask the question. Get her to bring it up and if they say the marking is correct and she knows it's not, then take it further.
This user likes this post:
Old 17-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #13
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would let it sit. It doesn't hurt for her to know that she did actually top that class, but someone else has that pleasure now. What difference does it make to your daughter? Nothing really. What about the other kid who has perhaps tried their hardest and actually feel that they managed to get top mark? What if it is their only good mark? A good mark could really inspire them to continue working hard, and do well. Cutting them down to second could be very upsetting to them. Let them have their top mark. Be gracious that your daughter has done so well. Teach her through your actions that it can be an act of kindness to let someone else feel the pleasure of coming top in a subject.
Just my thought
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #14
AU Mont
Banned

geez talk about 1st world problems

just be thankful your daughter is doing well in school, instead of fretting that she must be better than everyone else in absolutely everything.
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #15
glimmerman
Earnin' and Burnin'

My teacher intentionally misplaced my assessment and tried to make me fail - luckily many people know I handed it in but she persisted (she hated me) - we complained then because I'd have failed my school certificate. I can see where you are coming from though, she deserves the marks and it can look good if they in future can show they've always been a consistent achiever.
I don't think letting someone else's kid get top marks its a virtue to learn - several people here would have missed pay rises and promotions to people who didn't actually do so well, or worked with that one idiot who fluffs around but rides your glory - school is her big thing right now, why play it down? It gets replaced later with a job and career which you wouldn't play things down on.
Kids/teens school achievements are a big deal.
Adults work and career achievements are a big deal.
Otherwise you might as well just teach her that hard work doesn't matter cause it still will get you the same result as someone who doesn't work as hard so why bother?
Fight for what is deserved, problem with society today is barely anyone does.

SO FAR Genie Headers, 100cell Cat, 3" SS exhaust, Nizpro Valve springs, Powerbond Under Drive, Pod filter, 3 inch intake, big mouth intake, Iridium Spark plugs, Atomic VIPER manifold.
TO BE INSTALLED Raptor V 14psi, Frozen Boost W2A, 3,7's & LSD, Auto Rebuilt
GOAL: 270+rwkws

My BA MKII Raptor Supercharged build
glimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #16
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think a Year 9 student is perfectly capable of discussing with the teacher about exam results. It's only a complaint when they don't agree.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Top of the class report would look good in frame for later, and maybe good to add to a resume even if it is year 9 , get it fixed up.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #18
gtfpv
GT

thanks to everyone who replied .
my daughter is part of the up and coming next generation .
our generations opinions differ greatly to thiers . it was great reading everybodies replies .
my opinion was to leave it alone , as somebody , a good friend of hers beat her in food technology and was stoked about it .
SO MY OPINION WAS FORGET IT LET IT LYE .
however she did approach the teacher , who did take an interest in the marking who took the paper back to see how she missmarked the exam , and promised to change the marks and rectify the report card if thats the fair outcome .
reading posts brought home to me the importance to her of the outcome of the tests and her report . it is her importance to her i guess , not my opinion on her results that count .
thanks people . cheers .
Old 18-07-2013, 01:51 AM   #19
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
thanks to everyone who replied .
my daughter is part of the up and coming next generation .
our generations opinions differ greatly to thiers . it was great reading everybodies replies .
my opinion was to leave it alone , as somebody , a good friend of hers beat her in food technology and was stoked about it .
SO MY OPINION WAS FORGET IT LET IT LYE .
however she did approach the teacher , who did take an interest in the marking who took the paper back to see how she missmarked the exam , and promised to change the marks and rectify the report card if thats the fair outcome .
reading posts brought home to me the importance to her of the outcome of the tests and her report . it is her importance to her i guess , not my opinion on her results that count .
thanks people . cheers .
A good time to also remind her of humility and if she beats her good friend not to make too much of it in front of the friend so the friend doesn't feel so bad about coming second. Then again if she's as smart as you say she will already show it.
Old 18-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #20
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont View Post
geez talk about 1st world problems
I'm inclined to agree.

whether she always got straight A's or one B, matters to pretty much noone but the student/parents. certainly not to a prospective employer, especially a yr9 report.

if the parents already know the mark was an error, having it made official can only really be for bragging rights (IMO).

it depends what lesson you think is more important ... rolling with lifes punches, or the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #21
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

I think striving for good grades is instilling favourable habits. I was an underachiever and quite capable of getting straight As in everything I did but I didn't and flunked. Didn't go for an OP, slept in class listened to music. The only thing I did well in was Music and that was only for my practical examinations. I didn't go to uni so now I'm stuck with no Year 12 unless I do a tertiary course. These days, you can't get a high paying job without some sort of paper or some serious recommendations from those already in your desired work force.

gtfpv's question was perfectly reasonable as he believes his Daughter should strive to be the best. I think she will go far if she keeps up that attitude. There are plenty others like her. It's a shame you don't hear about them.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I did well up until I started year 12 in 2009.

Then I joined AFF and spent the whole year reading street fords and unique cars magazines in the library with mates.

I passed, only just.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #23
AU Mont
Banned

my year one boy had his athletics carnival recently

in the 50m he blitzed everyone in the heats, then in the finals he placed a close 2nd, but i swear he beat the other kid.

life goes on.
Old 18-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #24
gtfpv
GT

anyone who thinks i have a strong opinion in how to be successful is wrong . i have seen success land in peoples laps . this thread is not about being successful, it is about what people think a 15 year old should do in this exceptional situation .
its not about boasting or hiding , it's not about her being the best she can, and it isn't about her being better than anyone else .
in fact she has every respect from me and her own opinions which i often seek answers from her about things like the carbon tax . political parties etc , to see what views a 15 year old with a rather talanted eduction score has . she has different opinions to me which i take in .
Old 18-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #25
BennyH

Why in gods name are students able to know their position in the class? Sure, it's great for students like your daughter to know she is first, but how about the students that are trying but notified every half year they are coming last?

2010 XR6 Ute Nitro Blue Bluepower XCAL3 tune,
Di Filippo headers + high flow cat, X Force stainless cat back,20% Powerbond underdrive,
Growler CAI, Herrod lowered suspension package,
19'' Dark Argents w/ 36mm rear spacers, DBA T2 slotted rotors, Pursuit Side Skirts, EGR Under Spoiler
BennyH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #26
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyH View Post
Why in gods name are students able to know their position in the class? Sure, it's great for students like your daughter to know she is first, but how about the students that are trying but notified every half year they are coming last?

might be a private school ?

me personally have never heard of student rankings in classrooms.
Old 18-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #27
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
you should give this some thought next time you go to hospital mate . why in gods name would you want to know how well the doctor went with his studies just as your slipping out under anesthetic.

no its a public school . Atleast that way i know i'm not paying for a good report . lol
Old 18-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #28
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Quote:
Class dux is a pretty common thing, since the VCE et al pushed for ranking.
We had it in my years all through high school.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #29
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
anyone who thinks i have a strong opinion in how to be successful is wrong . i have seen success land in peoples laps . this thread is not about being successful, it is about what people think a 15 year old should do in this exceptional situation .
its not about boasting or hiding , it's not about her being the best she can, and it isn't about her being better than anyone else .
in fact she has every respect from me and her own opinions which i often seek answers from her about things like the carbon tax . political parties etc , to see what views a 15 year old with a rather talanted eduction score has . she has different opinions to me which i take in .
your daughter worked hard for those marks and should rightfully be recognised for them..

different opinions or point of view?
challenging the norm will expand the mind..
burnz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #30
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ask her for a few lessons to help you with your grammar. I would make reading your posts a little easier!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post