Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-03-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
UKXR8

Default Whats a decent wage out there?

Hi, as my user name implies I'm living in the UK and I'm thinking about moving out to Australia.
Having done a bit of research it seems that I would be looking at starting on a wage of roughly 75k going up to the mid 90's. This doesn't mean a lot to me never having lived in Aus. My question is, is this a decent wage to live on, I don't want to travel half way round the world to find myself living on the bones of my ? The wife would execute me!!!
Any constructive comments welcome..

Cheers

UKXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

hey mate

i think u will find that $75K is a great starting point.
i wish i wwas om that much, sadly im nowhere near that figure lol

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
ELtim
Six One Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKXR8
Hi, as my user name implies I'm living in the UK and I'm thinking about moving out to Australia.
Having done a bit of research it seems that I would be looking at starting on a wage of roughly 75k going up to the mid 90's. This doesn't mean a lot to me never having lived in Aus. My question is, is this a decent wage to live on, I don't want to travel half way round the world to find myself living on the bones of my ? The wife would execute me!!!
Any constructive comments welcome..

Cheers
I wish I was on 75-90k. That's a great wage to live on.

For Sale: Year Old Gas System
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=2644272#post2644272
ELtim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends on the qualifications you have as well as experience.
Maybe an idea to elaborate.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 10:53 PM   #5
Cam
Stroking it...

exactly as above, what sort of work are you doing? What sorta experience?
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
UKXR8

Cheers for the replies, I've been working in aviation over here for the past 8 years, I'm making about £40k over here (roughly $86aus) so I would be looking at a pay cut but I'm pretty sure the price of living can't be anywhere near as stupid as it is over here, it costs the equivalent of $2.30 a litre over here, you can't get a decent house for less than $350k (my 3 bed terraced cost $370k).
Also tired of the negative attitudes that seem prevalent over here, or maybe its just the weather...
I'm aware that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence, but I'm keen for a change.
Old 18-03-2008, 11:01 PM   #7
Cam
Stroking it...

mate, I am sure you wont regret it :-)
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 11:02 PM   #8
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah mate the cost of living over here is much cheaper than in the UK of that there is no arguing!!! and it dpends which part of AUS to go to... sydney costs more than most, melbourne not too far behind, QLD has it the best.

ull love australia when you come out, my family is from england and they couldnt get over the place, and work colleagues ive seen come over from england are extactic(sp) at the move
Old 18-03-2008, 11:02 PM   #9
Scott

The grass is greener here. Break your question down into Big Mac's. How many can you buy in the UK on your current pay and how many can you buy here on your new pay?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 11:04 PM   #10
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKXR8
Cheers for the replies, I've been working in aviation over here for the past 8 years, I'm making about £40k over here (roughly $86aus) so I would be looking at a pay cut but I'm pretty sure the price of living can't be anywhere near as stupid as it is over here, it costs the equivalent of $2.30 a litre over here, you can't get a decent house for less than $350k (my 3 bed terraced cost $370k).
Also tired of the negative attitudes that seem prevalent over here, or maybe its just the weather...
I'm aware that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence, but I'm keen for a change.
Yes that is quite true, your 75k here will get you ALOT further than 75k would in the UK. Prices for even basic stuff like groceries are rediculous in the UK (from what i heard from family and friends over there). 75k is quite a decent wage over here. Blue collar tradie families survive alright on close enough to half that.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 11:04 PM   #11
ls f6

"My question is, is this a decent wage to live on, I don't want to travel half way round the world to find myself living on the bones of my ?"

It sounds to me you are asking will this income be sufficient to live comfortably on, given you have no idea of the cost of living/accomodation/entertainment etc
ie what does 1 AUD$ buy, as opposed to, will $75k win a ****ing contest of having a top percentile salary.

Depends where you plan on living.. in Darwin, $75k will go far. In Sydney.. unless you plan on catching a train two hours to work each day, you would be comparitively living on the bread line with this salary (no offense to anyone living in Sydney on $75k or less, just comparing the difference in cost of living between the two! cities).
ls f6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 11:16 PM   #12
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

A labourer or hospitality worker is around $45k then add some experiance another $10k..
Trade person from $55 and up... Depends if you work o/t.. Most work saturdays so $80k to $120k easy.... Rent here is NOT easy !! In Sydney expect to pay $300+ In the outer suberbs.. If you can get one...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #13
UKXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls f6
It sounds to me you are asking will this income be sufficient to live comfortably on, given you have no idea of the cost of living/accomodation/entertainment etc
ie what does 1 AUD$ buy, as opposed to, will $75k win a ****ing contest of having a top percentile salary.
Yeah, thats pretty much exactly what I'm asking, guess I best get my head into the 'net and start doing a bit of research!

I have to say its not all bad being over here though, hearing the deafening silence in the pub when Wales beat England in the 6 nations was priceless
Old 18-03-2008, 11:20 PM   #14
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Heard some disturbing stats today about the average house prices, although you never know how accurate it is, they say house prices have increased 400% since 1986 whilst the average wage has only increased 120%

make what will of that...
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 11:23 PM   #15
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

75k thats sounds good have a look on http://www.realestate.com.au/ at house prices . $1.48 for 98octane unleaded and about $10 to $15 dollars for a kilo of rump at the supermarket . Thats in north Queensland houses are dear now.

Last edited by paule11; 18-03-2008 at 11:29 PM.
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 11:23 PM   #16
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

90k will keep you feeling full, and provide a roof over your head.

The quality of life in Aus generally is second to none, we have lots of nature to offer if that's your thing.

And has been pointed out

REFER the MAC index.

More accurate than any exchange rate....

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 11:24 PM   #17
UKXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Rent here is NOT easy !! In Sydney expect to pay $300+ In the outer suberbs.. If you can get one...
I take it, thats per week. The mortgage on my pretty average 3 bed terraced is $1750aus per month and thats in a small city, if I was to live in a main centre equivalent to Sydney I would be looking at another third on top of that.

I need to get out!
Old 18-03-2008, 11:30 PM   #18
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting...I'm heading off to the UK soon and wondering what is decent there.

90s in Aust is considered good money, but is not what you'd call fantastic. We pay more taxes here than you do in the UK.

Despite most people's perception...groceries in Aust is more expensive than in the UK when compared dollar for dollar. In fact Aust is one of the most expensive countries when it comes to groceries.

Example: bottle of coke here is $3...in the UK its 0.90p. Check out this site for comparison... http://www.fastrackuk.com/costofliving.aspx

Bottom line..dollar for dollar your food is cheaper, your beers are cheaper and your designer clothes are cheaper...........and most importantly....so are the cars!

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 11:38 PM   #19
T-Pak Addict
Jim

head to Adelaide, South Australia... average house price is around 250k-400k. have a diverse section of industries (including aviation/defence) and is alot cleaner & quieter than other states.

250k will by you an average 3 bedroom home. 400k will buy you a real decent place.

bought my 3 bedroom home in november 2007 for 220k and it has a rumpas room and above ground pool!!!! while house prices have gone up recently here, they are still some good bargains.

Id come over for a holiday, visit all the major cities and see which one suits you as they all are pretty different.

And if you like big V8's Australia is the place for you!!!!

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 11:41 PM   #20
fmc351
let it burn

Even if the situation was
$1,000 a year and living in paradise ...or
$100,000 and living in the UK.

Its an easy choice IMO.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 11:43 PM   #21
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

When I lived in the UK in 2000-01 the cost of living there was a bit of a shock but as I looked closer, somethings are cheaper there than here in Australia.
Old 18-03-2008, 11:45 PM   #22
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Low to mid $50k is the average full time wage here, so $80k is 50% above that, which should leave you comfortable financially. More money and you're laughing. You certainly won't struggle unless you spend big. Living with a few spending restraints and on my own, I need about $350 week for expenses, then housing costs are added (rent or mortgage), so I live on about $600/week minimum. You'd probably add another couple of hundred on as you're probably more accustomed to a better house than me I'd say and you may go out once or twice a week.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 11:51 PM   #23
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

life is pretty easey goin here, lots of parks everywere in the suburbs your missus will love it, except if your using public transport you need to pick your area well because, its less than average in some areas of Oz.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 11:57 PM   #24
DJR MAN
DJR Fan

If you decide to come here, well and good, hope all goes well for you.
But, what ever you do, don't bore your newly acquired Aussie mates on "How things were so much better in the UK". We've heard it all before.
DJR MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 11:59 PM   #25
UKXR8

QUOTE=T3rminator]Interesting...I'm heading off to the UK soon and wondering what is decent there.

90s in Aust is considered good money, but is not what you'd call fantastic. We pay more taxes here than you do in the UK.

Despite most people's perception...groceries in Aust is more expensive than in the UK when compared dollar for dollar. In fact Aust is one of the most expensive countries when it comes to groceries.

Example: bottle of coke here is $3...in the UK its 0.90p. Check out this site for comparison... http://www.fastrackuk.com/costofliving.aspx

Bottom line..dollar for dollar your food is cheaper, your beers are cheaper and your designer clothes are cheaper...........and most importantly....so are the cars![/QUOTE]

just had a quick look at that fastrack website, and its a bit misleading, I think the prices should be compared in one currency, ie £3.00 a pint sounds much nicer than $6.50 (rough conversion) a pint (how much beer is in a schooner, can't remember).

I think some of the prices are a bit on the low side as well, the weekly groceries in this house are always at least £90 ($195) for just 2 people, cars aren't cheap, a new Focus ST-3 (equivalent to a top spec XR5) 3 door will set you back £20000 ($43500) before haggling then you have to pay £450 ($980) a year to tax it and depending on how old you are a fair old whack to insure it, then its roughly £60 ($130) to fill it.

As for taxes, I don't know how much tax is over there (I'll be checking today though!) but I pay a third of my wages in income tax and national insurance(income tax with a different name) I also pay £1500pa ($3230) local council tax (which is fairly cheap), and not forgetting VAT (your GST equivalent I think) of 17.5% on pretty much everything else.

Not wanting to put you off, but I'd have a good look at that bottom line again.

Having said that living over here does have its upsides, the history is fantastic, its easy to get to Europe, the States etc, some cars that I guess would be pretty rare and expensive in Australia can be quite cheap over here (probably rusted out because of the salt on the roads over here but cheap!)

The people are cool, the pubs are brilliant and in the summer it is quite a special place to be...
Old 19-03-2008, 12:05 AM   #26
UKXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR MAN
If you decide to come here, well and good, hope all goes well for you.
But, what ever you do, don't bore your newly acquired Aussie mates on "How things were so much better in the UK". We've heard it all before.
Get it all the time from you guys over here!!!! :-)
Old 19-03-2008, 12:06 AM   #27
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

I applied for a job at a place with no qualifications. 60k starting pay. It can only go up.
Old 19-03-2008, 12:12 AM   #28
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate I'd love to live over there for a year or two. As you have mentioned, everything is so much closer to get to. Europe, etc. Most of the MotoGP meetings!

80K or there abouts is enough to not worry too much about your finances too much, as long as you are renting instead of paying off a house. What I want to know is where you intend to reside? After all living on 80k in Sydney isn't the same as $80K in Hobart!

If you have a job lined up then you obviously know the location already. Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane? I imagine it would be one of those three if you are a pilot. These cities vary in there cost of living expenses. Sydney is the most expensive.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 12:17 AM   #29
gtfpv
GT

you have a PM.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 12:19 AM   #30
UKXR8

Yeah, living over here for a few years would be a fantastic experience, but after a while things (price of living and the winter weather - light at 8, dark by 3) start to grate a bit. I've only done a very tentative search but the figures I was looking at were based on Adelaide, I understand it doesn't get too hot down there, my better half tends to melt in the heat!