Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 17-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
mercblue
Starter Motor

Default Looking for a Duratec

Hey guys,
Im looking for a wrecker who may be able to help me with a duratec engine (or zetec if i need to) wanting a 2000cc
Does anyone have a suggestion of where to start lookng?
Thankyou

mercblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
photn
AFF Post NAZI

im guesssing your lookging for the St170 engine or the standard LR Zetec engine...
the newer focus has the newer Duratec engine. have you tried pickles auctions.

btrw welcome.
may i ask what you want to do with it.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
mercblue
Starter Motor

Initialy its going into a clubman, just to get it on the road, after that it will see a big order from burtons + turbo
Old 17-03-2007, 10:26 PM   #4
ozracer
Starter Motor

What state are you in there is an abudnace of them coming up at wreckers on the eastern sea board. If you are genuine about buying a turbo later I wouldn't bother with the Duratec.
The Zetec is cheaper, more easily accessed is still euro 3 compliant and has an abundance of go fast bits. The other issue is that it has a cast iron block so if you lunch a bottom end in it, it will be easier to sort out than the Duratec with its all alloy bottom end which you will blow to smithereens.
The only benefit of the Duratec is if you want to stay naturally aspirated because they make really good power quite easily.
The Zetec is a lot easier to get going as well because the ecu's just plug in and away you go. The duratec ECU is alot more advanced and requires a lot more work to set up with a large number of fault codes having to be sorted out and parameters within the ecu being switched off because of the CAN BUS arrangement. You wont have any of these issues with the Zetec.

I am in the process of sorting my Duratec at the moment just waiting on some missing parts in the loom then I will be sorting it out on an engine test bed.

Last edited by ozracer; 17-03-2007 at 10:36 PM.
ozracer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
mercblue
Starter Motor

Im in melbourne, so thats good,
Im more keen on the duratec for its alloy block,
As for the ECUs and stuff all that gets junked and it gets a Motec system running individual throttles,
If i can make suitable power NA i will keep it NA,
when you say good NA power what are we talking 200HP? as initially i was looking at a 2L BD build or YB cossie NA (but neither make polution laws)
The difficulty of a track car if you start making boost mid corner you can end up facing the wrong way quite easily, and problems associated with heat and turbo lag with larger turbos,

A proper build should see the engine last its expected lifetime without failure the plan is to rebuild the engine every 3 years (normaly i would do it every year but this car wont see a whole lot of track work) regardless of fault.

Got any suggestions of who to call in melbourne, there are only 1000s of ford wreckers i could try
Old 18-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

You will make 200hp from a Duratec very easily
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 10:12 PM   #7
ozracer
Starter Motor

Oh okay so this is a track only car then that makes it a lot easier then.

You will get over 200bhp with throttle bodies and cams quite easily. In my honest opinion turbo is a waste of time you will struggle like buggery to get the power to the ground in such a light car and you will get penalised heavily in terms of class you will run in. Stick with Duratec NA you wont go wrong.

What sort of clubman are you running a locost or a brand kit?
ozracer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 08:04 AM   #8
mercblue
Starter Motor

Its a imported kit (with closed gaurds),
very similar to the fraiser,
I was looking at doing a full build including head work and a much more agressive bottem end so i guess i should struggle with power then
Cheers
Rohan