Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #1
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Default Who are you insured with?

So the renewals for insurance are starting to come in. I'm with NRMA for 2 cars and Home & Contents. And mostly they have all gone up.

I've rung Suncorp for a quote and made sure the cover was the same, i.e. same agreed values, coverage etc. And Suncorp is much cheaper, with the only exception being that the excess for the G6ET is higher as they deem it a performance car.

So what are people's experiences in either of these insurers? When I called NRMA and told them a got a quote from Suncorp for significantly less, they didn't want to budge in discount, all they said was change the policies to make it cheaper.

Anyway, looking for experiences and comments. Also, I'm in Qld...
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: Who are you insured with?

Suncorp is part of AAMI now, the biggest thing I have never liked about AAMI or the group is this no choice of repairer policy. Yes you can get your own quote but at the end of the day they now deem what is fair through their own system.

I wouldn't insure either of my cars with AAMI for this reason. They have their own panel shops now and parts suppliers (using used / aftermarket parts). Read the terms and conditions very carefully.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2015, 06:52 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm self insured, aka no insurance.

Nah jk I'm with Just Car Insurance, under 25s with modified cars pretty much no choice.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2015, 06:56 PM   #4
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Shannon's here .. not many people will touch a modified ute/car without charging a heap
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2015, 07:06 PM   #5
03 GHIA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First was with AAMI with my BA Ghia. Cheapest, but terrible service. 2 months to get my car back after minor front end damage, their first crack at fixing it they returned it still damaged and unroadworthy. So never again for me.

Then Coles on the same car, bit more costly but pleasant to deal with over the phone and quick service.

Currently with NRMA on my XR50. Cheapest I could find, and obviously a trusted name. Comp through them came in at ~$1100 and being 23 I was very surprised at the price. Couldn't go past it.

How much cheaper is Suncorp? Honestly if it's <$200 personally I'd pay the extra for better service in the event of a claim. Although that just stems from my bad experience.

Previous
White 2003 Fairmont Ghia

First- RIP.
White 1990 Ford Fairmont
Exhaust, intake, cam & lowered.
03 GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2015, 07:09 PM   #6
Sam_Boss260

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 GHIA View Post

How much cheaper is Suncorp? Honestly if it's <$200 personally I'd pay the extra for better service in the event of a claim. Although that just stems from my bad experience.
Over the 3 policies? Just over a grand.

Will be reading the PDS's closely tonight.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:12 PM   #7
STINKY NINJA
Banned

I have my eb with shannons,i even have salvage rights if its written off,must admit though they are a pita to deal with at times,if it wasnt for the salvage rights id most likely go elsewhere.
Our ralliart is insured with rac because they offer new car replacement within 2 years or 56 thou cash lol,that was a good deal because they arent made anymore...
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2015, 07:20 PM   #8
03 GHIA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260 View Post
Over the 3 policies? Just over a grand.

Will be reading the PDS's closely tonight.
Oh wow, ok that's a pretty big difference! Certainly worth reading up on them.

Previous
White 2003 Fairmont Ghia

First- RIP.
White 1990 Ford Fairmont
Exhaust, intake, cam & lowered.
03 GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2015, 07:53 PM   #9
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

All Suncorp policies have Choice of repairer... you can option them with Excess free windscreen repair/replacement and hire car I think 14days...

or the top cover with them, which I have for my 300c, life time replacement (when insured from new with them), Unlimited hire car which is like for like.

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
chopstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2015, 08:08 PM   #10
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Coles for me, been with them for 3 years, my premium halved this year. No one comes close, no frills insurance is fine for me. If i needed to claim and a car was off the road i would buy a $1000 banger and sell once car is fixed. I have already saved over $2500 in 3 years by going with coles. Especially on the FG turbo, no one comes within $500
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-02-2015, 08:15 PM   #11
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was previously with RACV but not only was I paying too much but I didn't like their service. I am however still using RACV for roadside assistance.
Regarding my insurance I am currently with Bingle. Will see how they go for a while but if unhappy with them I will most definitely look for a new insurer.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:01 PM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

3 cars with Budget Direct, 1 with Shannons.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2015, 11:13 PM   #13
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Lumley for my two. No probs with claims, good value, good price, great policy.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:01 AM   #14
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I mentioned it in the other Insurance Thread .. Just got my renewal for my 2014 FPV GT. Premium is $333 per year Comprehensive for Agreed Value of $71290, $800 excess. Excess free Windscreen replacement. Thru Coles Insurance. Yes $333! Impossible to beat I think.

Cheers Mike

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2015, 12:42 PM   #15
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got my SS and XR8 both insured through Lumley, both parked on the street and insurance is under a grand for both, I've had V8 Utes all my life and never been charged over 500 bucks a year
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2015, 01:48 PM   #16
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brismike View Post
I mentioned it in the other Insurance Thread .. Just got my renewal for my 2014 FPV GT. Premium is $333 per year Comprehensive for Agreed Value of $71290, $800 excess. Excess free Windscreen replacement. Thru Coles Insurance. Yes $333! Impossible to beat I think.

Cheers Mike
Tried it for my XR8 on order, was CONSIDERABLY more than that. You lucky bugger!
Old 11-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #17
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brismike View Post

Cheers Mike
Mine's double that, for a 2011 FG GTE, $600 excess, free windscreen.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #18
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im with Shannons. Not by choice because I have a modified F6. Nobody else would insure, even excluding the fact ive had not claims or offences in 5 years and above the age of 25. It's expensive at $100 pm but there appeared to be no other options. This fully comp, $$ for replacement at market value, mods and in my driveway (extra $5 month).

Without mods there were a couple of other options.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2015, 02:17 PM   #19
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisMike
I mentioned it in the other Insurance Thread .. Just got my renewal for my 2014 FPV GT. Premium is $333 per year Comprehensive for Agreed Value of $71290, $800 excess. Excess free Windscreen replacement. Thru Coles Insurance. Yes $333! Impossible to beat I think
I work in the Insurance Industry and I cant get less than around $800 comprehensive on a 2013 FG Series 2 XR6 and that's with employee discount. I would be very careful getting comprehensive Insurance on a $70k car for $333. I would want to have a good, hard look at the PDS for the inclusions and exclusions.

EDIT:
I just did an online quote with Coles Insurance listing only my wife. It came up with an approx quote for comp Insurance of $360, however when I added myself with no claims in the last 3 years, lowered the standard Excess to the same as I am paying now, included excess free windscreen and hire car after an incident for 14 days which is the same level as I currently have, the quote jumped massively to $836PA or $869PA if paid by the month which is what I do. So, it doesn't seem that cheap when compared to similar options.

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by JAJH; 11-02-2015 at 02:29 PM.
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #20
Spurious

Back in '06 when I had my '85 XF, was with NRMA in NSW south coast. Was agreed value of $4000 for about $35 p/m.
Each year they drop the vehicles value, as most insurers do, & when they did this I asked for it to be increased again & NRMA agreed. $300 excess which went up to $350 in a year.

Then I moved to WA & that = no NRMA.

That's when I went to shannons.
Same car, $5000 agreed value this time as it was a modified S-Pack. Value locked in for life. That was about $45'ish p/m or there abouts. $400 excess.

The issue that I wound up having with shannons was, being on a low income, that quite often the monthly premiums would fall on a day which wasn't convenient. I would ring them & ask for the date to be moved by a few days, the first time ok, next time they whinged, then they refused.
I even rang their head office in VIC & was told that moving the direct debt deduction date shouldn't be an issue, but apparently it was far to costly & time consuming for the staff in Perth to push a few buttons on a keyboard!

I put up with that for 2 years then moved to TAS. Once here, I bought my current ride, AU2. Stayed with shannons for a few months but after making a claim for new rims they jacked up the premiums. They only had to fork out $260 (after I paid the excess of $300) but my monthly premiums went from $40 p/m to $60. Then the excess went to $350.

Now I'm with RACT, currently $4400 cover, $41 p/m, free yearly windscreen. No hire car. $450 excess.
When the value drops to $4000, I'm gonna hit them up to increase it back to $4500 & locked in....we'll see!

In my view older cars like mine are way under valued. The reality is if you had to buy every single nut & bolt, part & accessory to rebuild my car, you wouldn't get much change out of $10,000. Probably cost you more!

The thing I hate is that with the cost of parts, it' wouldn't take much convincing for the insurer to write it off, even after a minor bingle.
Dinged panels would be fine, but any damage that breaches chassis or rear quarter panels, they wouldn't justify a repair. It would be cheaper to pay out.
I do have salvage rights though. Which, considering the mods on my car, & depending on which part of the car gets damaged, I would just buy my wreck back, go out & buy a cheap AU model again & strip & refit all the goodies.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #21
2002au
Define definitive

My au xr6 is with nrma with an agreed value of 7000, pay about 370 a year full comp.

07 hilux with them too for market value. Around 400 full comp a year.

Not bad for an almost 20 year old ;)
BF F6 TYPHOON in NEO #718 ~ 356rwkw :
BF XR6 TURBO in SILHOUETTE
2002au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #22
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shannons with agreed value.
Hit a roo last year in the ute, Shannons were smooth with the claim and I had my choice of repairer which is why I chose them.
Job done and the picky owner is satisfied!
Old 12-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #23
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

QBE for car, van, house and contents

Shannon's for the XP

I deliberately steer away from the SunCorp Group and AIG?, **** the conglomerates
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

If you're not at fault in an accident you're entitled to a hire car even if you don't have a car rental clause in your policy.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #25
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
If you're not at fault in an accident you're entitled to a hire car even if you don't have a car rental clause in your policy.
Only if you pay for it up front, send in the invoice and wait for it to be reviewed and the costs are fair and reasonable

PREVIOUS RIDES
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-02-2015, 11:53 AM   #26
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJH View Post
Only if you pay for it up front, send in the invoice and wait for it to be reviewed and the costs are fair and reasonable
Unless you use one of these people............

http://www.demurrage.com.au/faq.htm

http://www.compassclaims.com.au/faqs
Old 12-02-2015, 12:09 PM   #27
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
QBE for car, van, house and contents

Shannon's for the XP

I deliberately steer away from the SunCorp Group and AIG?, **** the conglomerates
Isn't Shannons tied up in the Suncorp group now?

With RACQ for the wife's car however I've been meaning to change it as when we first went to insure it being a brand new model the only insurer that didn't have the car listed was RACQ so I feel in the event of an incident it wont be fixed as the policy is wrong and they will not amend it.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:00 PM   #28
Sam_Boss260

Yeah, Shannons owned by the Suncorp group.

I've gone through the PDS for car insurance and Suncorp seems to be the most comprehensive. Just working through the Home and Contents PDS now.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:19 PM   #29
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Unless you use one of these people............

http://www.demurrage.com.au/faq.htm

http://www.compassclaims.com.au/faqs
Had a look at both of them. Looks like one is a Car hire company but both of them aren't Insurance companies, they simply offer you a hire car and claim it back on the Insurer. Not a bad idea!

PREVIOUS RIDES
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #30
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Youi, we have a large home and contents claim underway at the moment and they have been very slow, doing everythin they can to minimise their costs etc. Will be changing back to Allianz soon.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post