Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 11-04-2005, 10:55 PM   #1
wilawok
Wellhowyoudoin!!

Default ST170 brake replacement

Hey all,

had the little ladys st170 serviced recently (15000km) and have been advised that will have to do all 4 pads and front rotors next service as they are worn and will be done by 30000km. :

Before you all comment yes she is a quick driver but not overly hard on her brakes as the 6 speed gearbox is a butey and she uses the gears to wash off most of her speed. :jab:

ford has quoted us almost $1000 ($946 to be exact) to do this job with only $146 of this being labour. does anyone know of another option to this seemingly excessive price and rapid wear rate???? e

any help in this area would be appreciated....... :

V8 Explorer Limited in the garage, with upgraded sound and video....
Ridin on 20's with cat back exhaust and KKM pod filter assembly with custom heat shield (now looking at tuning options)
wilawok is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 12:22 AM   #2
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Wow...

Ok, well, I don't know for a fact that they do rotors for the ST170, but DBA (Disc Brakes Australia) do rotors for most cars, and are excellent products, so they are worth hitting up. They will perform better and last longer, and usually cheaper than standard Ford units.

Speaking of brake pads, I went and talked to a few places about pads for my Focus, and they were all rather expensive - 170-180 bucks for the pair. One place tried to tell me they changed at Sept 03 to a different pad - Yeah right. He insisted, so I made him read the Bendix book which tells you they are all the same from 02 onwards. :

From what I can work out, Bendix Advance pads should cost you about 350 bucks for all four max, and new rotors usually should only cost you around 250 a pair for a good set from DBA. Add in 150 bucks labour to get a shop to do it for you, and you're still short of what Ford were asking, for better products. Fords pads dust badly, and the rotors are soft. Which is proven by the fact you're in this situation right now.

Hope that helps. Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 12:26 AM   #3
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Damn thats insane, i have hit 25k and even at my 15k service the brakes we fine, and i am not a slow driver ;)

I agree with Tim, if/when i update the rotors/pads i will be going down the DBA way as they seem to make good stuff.

Genuine ford stuff is way overpriced ! even their servicing

Chris
Old 12-04-2005, 09:12 AM   #4
KJGH
G6E Driver

We paid $650 for the front pads and rotors on our CL at 29,000. We rang around and another dealer were offering the same for $550 but unfortunately we couldn't drive to that dealer with no brakes. Our Zetec has almost done 30,000 but the brakes are still going strong in that because of my driving like miss daisy type of style which the girlfriend says is a little dangerous in Melbourne traffic.

But hows this.. I called Ford Aust. about this whole brake thing and they rang the dealer on conference call. The dealer quoted me $50 cheaper than what they tried to charge her when she was picking up the car. Luckily Ford Aust. backed us up about it when we complained. Then again same dealer crashed the loan car after Sarah returned it and told Ford Aust. that it was Sarah's fault they crashed it because of where she parked it.
KJGH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 10:07 AM   #5
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

That's crazy. I don't understand why new rotors and pads are needed at such low kms. My CL has recently clocked over 50,000kms and the rotors and pads are fine (except for the fact they pump out so much dust), I'd say they would last at least another 30 thousand kms, minimum, looking at how much pads are left. And the rotors haven't even started showing signs of wear?

:lookedat:

I don't get it.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 11:17 AM   #6
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DBA do direct replacement rotors for the ST170, (slotted only, not slotted & cross-drilled)

ST170 2003 onwards

Front Code: 2101
Rear Code: 2103

But really these rotors should last double that distance easily, they are huge rotors for the size/weight of car (same size as Mondeo brakes). Have you checked them yourself, its not beyond dealers to stretch the truth regarding what needs work, check it yourself or go to an independent brake shop for advice.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 01:50 PM   #7
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
That's crazy. I don't understand why new rotors and pads are needed at such low kms. My CL has recently clocked over 50,000kms and the rotors and pads are fine (except for the fact they pump out so much dust), I'd say they would last at least another 30 thousand kms, minimum, looking at how much pads are left. And the rotors haven't even started showing signs of wear?

:lookedat:

I don't get it.

Tim
That is truly insane.... I had all 4 pads and 2 front discs replaced at 45,000km which to me is bordering on too soon but I guess it's not a disgrace to humanity as such... still not really what I'd call long lasting. Thank God I don't pay retail... :
Old 12-04-2005, 01:56 PM   #8
lincoln
Blinded

I'd be running DBAs too.

Peugeots used to go through rotors quite frequently as they were thinner... reducing the unsprung weight by just that little bit more

Just adds to the character, I say.

But anyway, run DBAs, much cheaper, I would think.
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 04:13 PM   #9
KJGH
G6E Driver

With Sarah's car the front passenger brake pad was worn completely and the rotor was rooted so much so that people would stare at us when we were coming to a stop. The front drivers side wasn't even close to worn out. I can't believe that is considered normal. Why would one side wear out quicker than the other? Why didn't Sarah go to the Ford dealer earlier? Well she did because it was making noises towards the front passenger wheel at 15,000km service and was noted on the service sheet as inspected and nothing wrong. We complained to Ford and they had some rep inspect it and they just did the obligatory fob off. What is scary is the car hasn't done 4,000km with the new brakes and is already making the screeching noises again. At this rate she'll go through a second lot before my Zetec has even gone through its first set and we do equal km's.

The CL has been a POS in regards to reliability but that aside we're happy with the car. In the 14 months of its life its been through a windscreen (our fault), crappy brakes (foobar), 3 fuel senders, an auto transmisson that would make the car vibrate and rev to 5,000rpm to change gears, fuel injectors replaced because the car would turn itself off and 5 tyre tubes replaced because they would pop unexpectantly. I hate changing tyres!

By the way, we don't know how someone did it but they broke into the bonnet too. The dealer called the cops on that one and the person got charged. We were looking at upgrading to the new model Ghia but I am a little hesitant now even if the Ford employee discounts are good. I rather have something that won't require roadside assistance all the time. Oh well, its certainly a car we'll never forget. We've had some good times in that car. Boo yah!:

:

P.S. Ranting makes me thirsty..
KJGH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 09:25 PM   #10
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Urgh spare the details please!!! ;)

My front left let go too around 40,000km and it was half the thickness of the right one too... surely gotta be something in that.. It would techingally have worn my right front more too AND my rears du to having to press harder each time... smells fishy to me.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:33 PM   #11
wilawok
Wellhowyoudoin!!

well after a discussion with the night manager at my dealership he has told me that it is an undocumented but known compound inconsistency with the focus and ford has agreed to replace a few that were shagged by 15000km.

We were trying to stay factory due to our concern of warranty issues but looking at the price and the shitload of dust that is on our rims we will be forced to take an alternate option..........

even with a trade discount the price is crazy......... maybe thats why the ones for sale are mostly around the 25000km mark knowing how bad their 30000km service bill will be.......

Ridin on 20's with cat back exhaust and KKM pod filter assembly with custom heat shield (now looking at tuning options)
Old 12-04-2005, 09:39 PM   #12
wilawok
Wellhowyoudoin!!

in case it sounds like I am bagging the car, hell no apart from the dash flicker an this brake crap it is a bloody top little rocket!!!!!! bring on the new st with the V6... should be a real sensation!!!

Old 15-04-2005, 08:01 PM   #13
Ferris

V5 mate. it's a 5 cyl volvo engine.

Yeah, I'm going to upgrade to DBA's when I get the chance, as the pads dust up astonishingly. But then again, I thrash the shit outta my ST... I bought it to drive it, so I do!

Yeah, I like the indicator clicky noise. Sounds like my grandfather clock. Heh heh.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2005, 10:39 AM   #14
lincoln
Blinded

Erm, just to be clear, it's going to be a 5 cylinder IN LINE, turbo charged from the Volvo T5. Noone in the Ford empire makes a V5... that's a strange Volkswagen thing.

Last edited by lincoln; 16-04-2005 at 10:40 AM.
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 01:40 PM   #15
Ferris

Ah right. Oops. Same dog, different leg action.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #16
ST170-VICCO
Starter Motor

Just wanted to update the info here based on what happened to me today! Prices are accurate as of May 2009.

I have a 2003 Ford Focus ST170.

Ford said all brakes needed new rotors and pads. I got 140 000kms out of the original pads and rotors.

I went to Bursons and bought DBA Rotors (Almost half the price of the Ford ones).
Part numbers are as Magpie posted above:
Front Code: 2101
Rear Code: 2103

I bought Bendix General CT pads according to the Bendix guide for ST170 sep 02 on which stated:
Front: 7690
Rear: DB1759

These were about $60 each set.

I got a call from Ford when I dropped it off for them to do the work and the FRONT PADS were incorrect for my vehicle. They said they had the Ford ones in stock so I just got them to fit those, cost me about $350 just for the front pad set (flash ones I'm guessing).

I took the Bendix ones back to Bursons for a refund (which they happily did) and also took an old ST170 pad with me to find out what was wrong and it turns out I should have bought Bendix DB1666. This is listed on their sheet as being for SVT (USA) 2003 on and also shows up on Focus from May 05 on.

So yeah, in my experience for an 03 ST170 you need:

DBA rotors:
Front Code: 2101 ($270 a pair)
Rear Code: 2103 ($220 a pair)

Bendix Pads:
Front: DB1666 ($80 a set)
Rear: DB1759 ($60 a set)

So what's that? Roughly $630 for an entire brake change (plus whatever the labour costs)

Like I said unfortunately I ended up paying $350 for my front pads because I didn't want to go through all the BS of taking the car back and trying to figure out if I could get bendix pads etc etc..
My only worry is if the front pads are now a different compound to the back could this cause any problems? Ford didn't seem to think so.

Last edited by ST170-VICCO; 26-05-2009 at 05:48 PM.
ST170-VICCO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #17
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Vicco, welcome to the Forums!!!!

And a very good first post may I say.

I wouldn't worry about about different pads front to back. Won't make a huge difference.

I find the trick with good pads for the Focus is to plan ahead and order them from overseas.....then just have them sitting in the garage til you need them. That's how i avoid being stung by the Ford OEM price.

140,000 km on one set of pads! That is amazing
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #18
photn
AFF Post NAZI

okay.. i got front slotters and rear slotters for a total of 450 DBA slotted!!!!

Thats a grand total of 450 for all of them supplied. the pads i bought i got cost me 100ish bucks for the fronts EBC greenstuff and the rears ebc blackstuff..

installed them myself.. way toooo wasy to do..

im sure i can safely assume that the ST170 shouldnt be that far off the mark.

for a good price if ya can, see the site sponsor "race brakes sydney" they have a website, they give you really good deals so hit them up, im sure they can do insterstate shippping.

thats my 2cence

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 04:14 AM   #19
ST170-VICCO
Starter Motor

yeah I do a lot of highway cruising to work and back..plus i drive it very nicely nowadays.

thanks for the tips guys, i will plan a bit better so I'm not at the mercy of ford prices!
ST170-VICCO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 11:51 PM   #20
alky89

wow how the hell do you finish brakes in 30000km!?!?!? ur 'little lady' must be a secret rally driver or something. my zetec's current pads have done 30000km + 3 track days and still have a good 5-6mm of meat left. rotors have a decent lip on them though...

i'll probably go for some dba rotors when the time comes but i have no idea for pads. anyone have any recommendations for the mk1?
alky89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 11:53 PM   #21
melbzetec

Greenstuff, or Ferodo DS2500
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 30-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #22
alky89

cheers mate. i'll look into them.

would you happen to be the same melbzetec doing the rounds on focus fanatics?
Old 30-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #23
melbzetec

That's me.

And FFOC

Old 30-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #24
alky89

ah cool. i used to be "age" on ff... until i was banned for 'spamming'. i posted a thread in the australian forum about the crazy kumho ku36 deal that was on recently at a few places and my account was closed within a few hours. such bastards.