Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-09-2005, 07:39 AM   #1
Dodge
i like to be stroked

Default whos with me

if i was to say everyone stop paying council rates, taxes and lets cut the goverment staff by 30% and there benifits by 10% , u know we enploy these tossers to run our country, all they do is waste like theres no tomorrow , throwing millions of $ away at a drop of a hat, when are we all going to stand up to this , people power , take back controll of what we are paying for.

Old 20-09-2005, 09:48 AM   #2
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
if i was to say everyone stop paying council rates, taxes and lets cut the goverment staff by 30% and there benifits by 10% , u know we enploy these tossers to run our country, all they do is waste like theres no tomorrow , throwing millions of $ away at a drop of a hat, when are we all going to stand up to this , people power , take back controll of what we are paying for.
So what your suggesting is an anarchic revolution?

I don't question we are getting very much short changed by government more absorbed with there own re-election and politcal spin doctoring than actually getting on with the jobs they were elected to do.
However taking the dollars away is a simplistic and totally unworkable solution which bit do you think would forgo spending from any existing purse, the public works or the thick government pensions?
Your suggestion would put police etc at odds with the public and would result in a broken down environment much like present day Russia.

The sooner people wake up and start looking at the policies over the party and the track record over some presented political persona, the better off we will be.
As a community we have the Governments we deserve. And the system is crook, when news is full of who called who a black fella, mail order bride etc, all while our Hospital/road/Water/Electricity infrastructure crumbles around us.

Sorry I cant support your proposal, Taxation is a necessary evil, but I for one sure as hell want better value for money from it!!

As a postscript watching that dribbling loser Latham carrying like a spoilt sook and attacking all around him, I can at least have some confidence in the Australian Voter. Heaven forbid him ever getting political control. The man is revealing his true colours and some of the worst of what politicians can produce. Thankully there are better examples in both sides of politics!

Last edited by RED_EL_XR8; 20-09-2005 at 09:59 AM.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i am so scared of you RED, you are always reading my mind and then putting it into words on this here forum.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 10:42 AM   #4
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak351
i am so scared of you RED, you are always reading my mind and then putting it into words on this here forum.
I've always preferred reading minds to watching gangsta rap videos, good to see I'm not in the minority.
Old 20-09-2005, 10:49 AM   #5
parawolf
beep beep

In all honesty, compare the people in politics to those running big business. The perks and pay for the level of responsability, those in politics are being dudded. Compare John Howard to CEO of Telstra... I guarrantee you CEO of Telstra is getting paid more, and is far more corrupt - why? because he only answers to shareholders, not to the entire voting population.

Compare the level of public inspection on John Howards day to day life, compared with say that of the CEO of BHP? Who is getting paid more? who actually probably does more day in and day out.

Now I am not a Johnny Fanboy, Hell i'm not even a Liberal voter - but I wouldn't want their job for peanuts. But their level of responsability and job security is so vastly out of kilter with the private sector it is a joke.

Personally I think they are paid just fine - however my biggest bug is with City Councils. I got my first rates notice a few weeks ago. The valuation on my house/developed land was way over priced by about $50k - so I challenged it at the local city council office, and there is *NOTHING* that can be challenged about it.

But then again, there are quite a few services my council offer which are nice so I figure that the money is reasonably well spent.

Personally I think Local City Councils are far more corrupt than Commonwealth Government, and Private Sector Big Business is worse again. Multi-nationals? worse again
Old 20-09-2005, 10:53 AM   #6
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think local councils do a pretty good job. it's the state mob that are a nothing. get rid of the middleman, i say!!!
Old 20-09-2005, 10:55 AM   #7
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
I've always preferred reading minds to watching gangsta rap videos, good to see I'm not in the minority.

after a few verbals with others on here i believe we ARE the minority, RED :
Old 20-09-2005, 11:02 AM   #8
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
after a few verbals with others on here i believe we ARE the minority, RED :
Word is the others are all off watching Blue Healers. :
Old 20-09-2005, 11:03 AM   #9
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
In all honesty, compare the people in politics to those running big business. The perks and pay for the level of responsability, those in politics are being dudded. Compare John Howard to CEO of Telstra... I guarrantee you CEO of Telstra is getting paid more, and is far more corrupt - why? because he only answers to shareholders, not to the entire voting population.

Compare the level of public inspection on John Howards day to day life, compared with say that of the CEO of BHP? Who is getting paid more? who actually probably does more day in and day out.

Now I am not a Johnny Fanboy, Hell i'm not even a Liberal voter - but I wouldn't want their job for peanuts. But their level of responsability and job security is so vastly out of kilter with the private sector it is a joke.

Personally I think they are paid just fine - however my biggest bug is with City Councils. I got my first rates notice a few weeks ago. The valuation on my house/developed land was way over priced by about $50k - so I challenged it at the local city council office, and there is *NOTHING* that can be challenged about it.

But then again, there are quite a few services my council offer which are nice so I figure that the money is reasonably well spent.

Personally I think Local City Councils are far more corrupt than Commonwealth Government, and Private Sector Big Business is worse again. Multi-nationals? worse again
Fantastic post parawolf.

Former CEO of Telstra walked away with $2million golden handshake. In the time he was in the hot seat, Telstra's share price fell 48%. I didnt see outcry on the forums then. Last bloke who walked away from Macquarie Bank took $32 million of shareholder's money with him. If your a member of a superannuation fund I can almost guarantee you'd be long Macquarie Bank.

This is not the first thread i've seen suggestions of scrapping state governments. One of the best (albeit most radical) ideas put forward in ages. Cant be too hard to do can it?? Ammend the ol' constitution - i reckon a referrendum on the matter would get a fair bit of support.

As for not paying tax... well, what about the old addage re: death and taxes? Two things in life you cant avoid... i wish anyone luck in getting out of either.
Old 20-09-2005, 11:07 AM   #10
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
Word is the others are all off watching Blue Healers. :
Sargent Tom Croydon is so sexy.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 11:14 AM   #11
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

most folks north of Rocky can't see any purpose for state guvmint as they tend to only look after the south east corner. unfortunitly for us a referendum won't work because the majority of population voters live in that sector. the company i work for paid over 280 million dollars in royalties (tax) to state government who denied that company a water pipeline from Berdeken river. they were told to fund it themselves. this pipeline wasn't just for processing but for community as well.
Brisbane got a nice footy stadium though, so thats good.
Old 20-09-2005, 11:40 AM   #12
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
most folks north of Rocky can't see any purpose for state guvmint as they tend to only look after the south east corner. unfortunitly for us a referendum won't work because the majority of population voters live in that sector. the company i work for paid over 280 million dollars in royalties (tax) to state government who denied that company a water pipeline from Berdeken river. they were told to fund it themselves. this pipeline wasn't just for processing but for community as well.
Let's see, spend some to get a lot back or spend a lot to get some back? What do you reckon they'd do? Governments can be very short sighted!
You should try living in the highest taxed state i Oz....Local Government does nothing but line their own pockets here. Meetings go like this...."How many more home lots can we release and or subdivide?" "What about the infastructure?" "Who cares, that's the State Gummint's problem." All round laughing follows....
:

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 11:53 AM   #13
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf

Absolutly correct, you must have read my mind. It annoys the crap out of me when people whinge about what the pay rate is in politics. In reality they work 7 days a week and don't have much time for anything. There responsibility is far more then most other jobs as well.

Quote:
Very good point also, I am forever seeing development down south on everything and I think when are we going to get something decent.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 02:56 PM   #14
Asylum Seeker

Quote:
I think of something and Red posts it, saves me a heap of time... thanks mate.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 04:16 PM   #15
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

No Tax,= No Government,=No Authority,=Anarchy/Chaos,=Death and Destruction.. That the way to go? I think not.....
Hardtopxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 04:43 PM   #16
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Down with Medicare and free health!
Down with Defence!
Down with social security!
Down with public education!
Down with land management!
Down with government owned subsidised transport!
Down with the government corporate watchdogs!

As much as this country seems to have a wonderful fasintation with hating politicians, they are, I hate to say, the only people with the leadership and charisma to put their hand up and say they'd like to govern the country. If people hate the government so badly, then they should run for parliament themselves.

We hate taxes, we hate excise and duties, but at the end of the day, looking at many of the other western nations, let alone the eastern nations, we have it pretty bloody good.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 04:47 PM   #17
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtopxb
No Tax,= No Government,=No Authority,=Anarchy/Chaos,=Death and Destruction.. That the way to go? I think not.....
We wont need a government as soon as my minions install me as King of Australia.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 20-09-2005, 04:50 PM   #18
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Former CEO of Telstra walked away with $2million golden handshake. In the time he was in the hot seat, Telstra's share price fell 48%. I didnt see outcry on the forums then. Last bloke who walked away from Macquarie Bank took $32 million of shareholder's money with him.
I think your thinking of the CEO of Colonial First State, who had a golden handshake of $33 million. The CEO of Macquarie, to the best of my knowledge has not resigned in the last few years, however if he did tomorrow, then he'd be sitting on about a 50 million dollar handshake.

Anyway, executive renumeration is generally based on share options and performance measures. If they make the targets, and increase shareholder value, they get the bonus. If they do incredibly well, they get sensational bonuses.

Both Macquarie and CFS/CBA have had sensational returns for their shareholders in recent years. To be completely honest, if these CEOs are as good as they appear to be, and the non executive directors sign off on these massive performance based targets, then they deserve it. I guess its the price of extremely successful business.

The $2m to the outgoing telstra CEO was probably options gain at meeting one of his performance objectives along the way, despite the drop in the price of shares.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 04:52 PM   #19
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
The $2m to the outgoing telstra CEO was probably options gain at meeting one of his performance objectives along the way, despite the drop in the price of shares.
Besides, the dudes name was Ziggy! He deserves 2 million just to go through life with that 20 dollar handle. He also played guitar.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 20-09-2005, 04:55 PM   #20
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
We wont need a government as soon as my minions install me as King of Australia.
Sour, are you going to run the country alone? if not give me yell ,i have mates who can help..
Hardtopxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 04:56 PM   #21
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

It's not the fact that we have a government or our "type" of government that people hate. It's the fact (like all bureaucracies) that unless you use some brains and get input from the end-user you usually end up with a pile of cr@p. Sydney's 2 lane expressways (M4/M5 or new ring road) anyone? Allowing areas to outgrow the sewage system available? Trying to make a public utility operate as a profitable company?
:

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 04:56 PM   #22
neb
hibernating

I work in a government department, department of human services in disability services. Our funding is bad enough as it is, I don't get paid a high amount. We only have limited money for improving and providing services and accommodation to people with intellectual disabilities....... cut by 30%?? you want to cut my job!
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 04:59 PM   #23
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtopxb
Sour, are you going to run the country alone? if not give me yell ,i have mates who can help..
So far my Royal Cabinet looks like this

Steffo can be court jester
Casper can be my chief of secret police
Red_EL_XR8 can be my secretary of revenge
Laminge is my official councillor on acceleration
Mitchay can be the official whore of the commonwealth
Cruisin EB can be minister of sewage
FordFan86 will be my advisor on virginity

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 20-09-2005, 10:52 PM   #24
Dodge
i like to be stroked

and dodge , the pay officer,
work u bastards
Old 20-09-2005, 11:33 PM   #25
gtfpv
GT

maybe we should 've titled this thread . lets kiss the politicians r'ses. god save them the poor souls .i'm a weepin i'm a weepin .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 11:53 PM   #26
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
So far my Royal Cabinet looks like this

Steffo can be court jester
Casper can be my chief of secret police
Red_EL_XR8 can be my secretary of revenge
Laminge is my official councillor on acceleration
Mitchay can be the official whore of the commonwealth
Cruisin EB can be minister of sewage
FordFan86 will be my advisor on virginity
What can I be?

Back OT... We could move to Dubai... They don't have taxes there. Still have death though goddamit...

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 01:04 AM   #27
megsy
Undergraduate EB Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by young 'un
what can i be?
i want in too....

what about "megsy can be my minister of production (of sourbastard merchandise)" :hihi:
-----------------------
megsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post