Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Holiday in Sydney

So I'm heading to sydney for the first time in just over a decade and wondering what to get upto i'd like to see, go and do a couple of things but so far the must do's are things like Rocket Industries (pretty sure there in sydney) and go to WSID on a drag night.

Thanks in advance.

Brendan

Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
Big Bird 17

Default Re: Holiday in Sydney

The Harbour Bridge climb is good.
Old 30-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for the idea will have a look see
Old 30-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bridge Climb is good, check out the Rocks, there's some really nice pubs (Lowenbrau) and nice views.

Toronga Zoo is worth a looksie if you can budget for it and are interested in animals obviously. Apart from that go check out Darling Harbour and see if there's anything showing at imax that interests you.
Old 30-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

imax??? is that like 3D movies? where is the general pub sesh scene at down there?
Old 30-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go to What's On Sydney - website that lists Sydney events.

http://whatson.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/

My favourite when cruising is North Head for sure. Grab a car, head over to Manly for some fish and chips and then head up to see the view at North Head at sunset. You'll see the whole city on the backdrop of the sunset. Pretty awesome.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
Spudz27
Call me Spud

When we were over there, we went to some german pub that served huge beers and general things like shcnitzels etc. It wasn't far from SCG as we walked to the footy after a good drink and feed. We spent most of our time in Darling harbour and up in the Blue mountains, in Darling Harbour we went to Reptile Park and aquarium, we went to some bowling place, had morning tea at Lindt Cafe, went to a seafood restaurant I think it was box something. Served really nice food, was the first time I had proper sushi.

We also went to some underground market thing just near darling harbour and near china town, was pretty good, then not far from there was a 3 story mini mall thing. Then of course we ventured into china town, we lined up with everyone else for these custard filled ball things (can't remember name) and they were so good, the line was pretty huge, but didn't take long to get through. China town was an experience, bloody people saying you eat here, special prices etc etc. We ended up in a food court where I couldn't read the boards lol.

We were supposed to go to the zoo, but when waiting for the ferry there were these two girls who were talking and acting like they were from Fat Pizza, I couldn't stand it and walked away.

The blue Mountains were great, sky car, the train down the mountain and back up again was awesome. Lot's of photo opportunities etc.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #8
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for the info guys appreciate it are there any car focused events on e.g. in the local scene atm??? and what are some good pubs/bars/clubs???
Old 31-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #9
HLC
Audi S3

How old on you? Because that'll give me an idea of what sort of clubs you would Want To go to!!!
Old 31-10-2011, 12:37 AM   #10
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

and in regards to the car scene, it's kind of quietly organised these days (apart from forum meet's)....
Old 31-10-2011, 12:55 AM   #11
MAV50L
Banned

There is heaps with the car scene going on.
Quietly organised my ****.
Harry's Cafe De Wheels at Liverpool is always good for a laugh on a Friday night. There is normally nice cars there on a Saturday night. The last Saturday night of every month is muscle car night where you will see some real nice cars and characters.
If you want to see what shows are coming up one place to check out is www.pinky.com.au and thats only a small example of whats available.
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 01:35 AM   #12
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

WSID race for real is on wednesday night. There is also racing on fridays as well. Rocket industries is literally just around the corner from the eastern creek race track so you may as well visit them while there.

Other things to do would be the aquarium at darling harbour, taronga zoo, centrepoint tower / telstra tower, Bondi and Manly beach, Harry's cafe de wheels in Liverpool.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 01:42 AM   #13
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
How old on you? Because that'll give me an idea of what sort of clubs you would Want To go to!!!
21 and the sort that loves a canadian club Dry!!!
Old 31-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #14
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well on the nightlife:

Ok well The Rocks is the nice classy european style pub district of Sydney, The lowerbrau and The Argyle are awesome pubs. Probably my favourite area to go out.

Wynyard is more high end night clubs and smaller bars - think The Ivy, The Establishment, Ryans Bar and more

Town Hall is the sort of seedy night club/pub scene and Karaoke bars and lots of take aways, heading towards Central you go through China Town a bit and nothing much special, fast food joints, cheap clubs.

Between Central and Broadway (the uni) is the Uni-bar sector so quieter pubs with a more rock relaxed atmosphere and theres a few metal clubs in the area too.

Oxford St is pretty good with lots of different style (rock, metal, dance, rave, gay, lesbian etc etc) pubs and clubs

I dont reccommend Kings Cross. Too seedy, too dirty, too many deros and junkies and too many douches out looking for a fight and not enough women unless you wanna pay for it lol although there is a couple of places which rate highly - depending your music taste and whose playing.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #15
BAXR8_Ute

Centre point would be good for the view and lunch. But they charge you to go up there. Australia square is free to get up the top and it has a revolving restaurant with good views. No viewing platform though.
Old 31-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #16
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cheers for this the rocks sound good many unique to NSW beers/drinks i should be trying???
Old 31-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #17
gtfpv
GT

hey thanks for the tips guys . i live in sydney and there is nothing like listening to those that have come here for a holiday to get some pointers on what i can do .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #18
HenryFordJr

I was a concierge in Syndey around 10 years ago, absolutely miss the place..!!

The Rocks for the pubs, great on weekends..

Darling Harbor for the shopping and restaurants..

Oxford Street / Kings Cross for the club scene (if you're into that kind of thing)

Bondi Beach / Coogee for a nice day trip.

Ferry trip to Manly for a day trip.

First Car: 1972 ZF Fairlane - 351 Cleveland, FMX Auto, 9"LSD 2:92
HenryFordJr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #19
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankclare
WSID race for real is on wednesday night. There is also racing on fridays as well. Rocket industries is literally just around the corner from the eastern creek race track so you may as well visit them while there.

Other things to do would be the aquarium at darling harbour, taronga zoo, centrepoint tower / telstra tower, Bondi and Manly beach, Harry's cafe de wheels in Liverpool.
No... this week it's called Westfields tower
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #20
jrfttf
Getting By!?

loved sydney when i went up for a visit, ended up getting tickets for a tour bus, they run you round the joint, drop you off whereever youwant and you can get on and off as many times as ya like

All in all there is plenty to do and see, missed doing a bit cause i only had a very short stay there, but will return at some point to do more of it.

Bondi would be off tap on a nice day i reckon, bridge, opera house for a look, the zoo ect
jrfttf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #21
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb-fairmont
21 and the sort that loves a canadian club Dry!!!
What's the one drink you can't give to a baby harp seal?

Canadian Club on the rocks.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #22
gtfpv
GT

the monorail , in and around darling harbour , get a daily ticket there is something of interest at every stop .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #23
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks guys appreciate this any nice mountain driving that i can take advantage of for those weekend day cruises???

and what are the markets like any good ones???
Old 31-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #24
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
thanks guys appreciate this any nice mountain driving that i can take advantage of for those weekend day cruises???

Markets, don't know how often they happen at the Rocks (Every weekend perhaps???) but that is more for arty farty stuff. The other markets to look at are next to China Town (Haymarket area), sorta near Central station which has general stuff, clothes, souvenirs etc.

As for drives? Perhaps a day trip to the Jenolan caves, then return the long way via Oberon??? That would be a long day, but the drive is nice and scenic.

Stop in at Leura / Katoomba for a late breky / early lunch. A Cafe style restaurant called "Common Ground" has an excellent menu and the prices are great as well.
Old 31-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #25
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Also, if you want to treat yourself to a flash feed while at The Rocks, look up 'Wildfire' restaurant. They have a great Churrasco lunch / dinner (all you can eat) that ranges between $45 and & $70 depending when you go and the setting and views can't be beat. The 'whole table' needs to order the same, but If you are a solo traveller I'm sure they will serve you as well providing they have other tables eating as well.

If you want a cheaper eat while at the rocks, go to Pancakes, they are within 300m of each other roughly and the menu is also very good and not too $exy.

Cheers!
Old 31-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #26
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks A lot guys what sorta food style does "Wildfire" serve??? and pancakes are the **** with banana, bacon, ice-cream and maple syrup. mmmmmm so nice
Old 31-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #27
HenryFordJr

Quote:
and pancakes are the **** with banana, bacon, ice-cream and maple syrup. mmmmmm so nice
Canadian breakfast yumm..!!

First Car: 1972 ZF Fairlane - 351 Cleveland, FMX Auto, 9"LSD 2:92
HenryFordJr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #28
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFordJr
Canadian breakfast yumm..!!

freakin oath every time some one asks the famous question "how do you like your pancakes?" i say this and there like "how the hell you come up with that combo?" and i go "experimentation after a massive craving and a night on the grog!!!!"
Old 31-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #29
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Really depends on how long a drive you'd like to do. For a short trip I'd reccommend the Old Pacific Highway up to Gosford. Awesome drive up that way, minimal traffic on the way up usually, although it varies. Generally no cops although after Pie in the Sky (stop here>EAT) there is sometimes one sitting half way down the windy hill - right where you're really enjoying the twists lol

Then just follow the old road up the coast, you go through forest and bushland. You'll see lots of Motorcyclists so be on your toes

Basically you just follow the Pacific Highway signs from the Harbor Bridge north..

While your in The Rocks, go get Breakfast at Pancakes on the Rocks - then get lunch, then get dinner, then get Desert. AWESOME FOOD!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #30
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds awesome this pancakes place!!!