Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM   #1
John 13

Default On the road.

In 1984 we emigrated to the west, No relatives here, consequently we have completed numerous circumnavigations of the continent by road. Often going one way over the top/ across the Great Australian Bight and returning by the other. I have done some research of random data and found evidence of approximately 150 over night motel stays and 30 + trips via the Bight. In the early days an overnight motel stay for up to 5 people was as low as $45.00 and fuel (petrol)price was considered high at 65 cents/l.
Had many interesting experiences; black soil near McKinley, Victoria River in flood and in about 1987 buying petrol at Top Springs at $1.00/l. It was pumped out of a 44 using a Macnaught quart stroke pump and measured in a 20 l jerry can. In the early days there were virtually no caravans on the road, unlike over the recent three years when the roads are polluted at least till 3.00pm.
John 13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM   #2
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: On the road.

In the old days caravans most likely would not handle the roads quite well, tents and camping gear was much easier & cheaper.
From my experience I look at caravans not being a big problem, trucks are bigger problem for travelers, just saying.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM   #3
prydey
Rob

Have been a passenger or driver of a road trip at least once a year for pretty much all of my 47years on the planet so far. The joys of having dads family in qld and mums in SA.

Due to this I'm a big fan of road trips and I've passed the love on to at least one of my daughters. For me, while the destination is often what we looked forward to, the journey itself was part of the holiday.

Never really understood those who get upset at other road users. If you travel enough you come across a wide range and in the big scheme of things they don't really cost you too much.

Exploring this great country was already on the rise prior to covid but the whole international border closures thing simply forced people travel locally more instead. It never really eased once borders reopened.

I think it's a good way to be brought up and a great way to raise your own family. So many memories get created.
Old Today, 04:39 AM   #4
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The number of caravans on the road is just a testament to a prosperous country, I travel a lot and it is not just boomers in the flash caravans being towed by a Next Gen Ford Ranger or a 200/300 Series Land Cruisers.