View Single Post
Old 20-07-2023, 10:34 PM   #7
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2002 BA 5.4L 3V Ford fairmont ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by martynogutsnoglory View Post
I use a shop for the stuff i cant fix like new diff bushings axle seals wheel bearing etc. I did do a TB clean with the battery off as a last resort. Had to push the butterfly open and closed. The shop guy said you can't do that and said i caused the problem. I tried to respectfully tell him I didn't touch the butterfly until after it went pumpkin. He kind of wasn't listening to me when i said it just failed and i need a new one. I wont be pushing at the new unit butterfly. No need too! funny. The shop guy is really busy and could be bothered talking to me. They do good work and walking distance to me. They cant even look at until next week so i went ahead and bought TB. I guess i will know if it's something else tomorrow. $320 for the ford TB.
If you touched it whilst disconnected its fine. They are temperamental if you touch them when its connected. I have swapped over many TPS and actuators, and even knife edged a throttle plate and its been fine, you just need to understand how they operate.

When you say you have to "push" to open and close, thats normal? It snaps back with reduction gears, like all TBs? It won't close up like it does at idle because it relies on engine vacuum to close the butterfly further. Its hard to explain, there is a stopper on the gears, but it has a bit of give and the engine vacuum will be strong enough to close the butterfly.

I once screwed the butterfly on too tight, which affects the closing position, and the vacuum was not strong enough to close it for idle. It idled at 1500RPM for a few seconds, then "check engine light" came on and car was stumbling all over the place.

Having said that, try not to touch your new one, but don't stress if you do.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.

Last edited by T3rminator; 20-07-2023 at 10:42 PM.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote