View Single Post
Old 17-04-2024, 02:45 PM   #39
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why so few old Falcons remaining compared to Commodores?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Up until VN production Holden only dipped the bodies to the waist line and because they went through the dip on a conveyor the wave and wake created a void around the rear windscreen base which rusted out, this processed changed with VN and the whole body was dipped.
Falcond prior to EA were prone to rust in the plenum which would flood the front floors and required substantial work to repair in removing windscreen, dash, gaurds, bonnet and then cut open.
I had a beautiful XE in 2000 but couldnt take it out in winter for this reason.

Obviously E series suffered head gasket issues that really affected not only daily driven cars but limited the used engines available in wreckers too.
The funny thing is, they fixed that in AU and wreckers couldnt give them away.

I spoke to a mate who owned a used car yard back in 07 and he said every manual Falcon he could get his hands on went up north to indigenous communities as they loved them and paid way overs to what could be sold for down here, he said lots of yards did the same. Probably plenty still active albeit unregistered.
I got a nice XE S pak off him that day as it was auto and worth nothing, gave it a straight gas conversion and sold it to a FF member.

So there are a few factors at play.
Yes they play cards in the headlights until the battery goes flat, then push start the car the next day. so automatic cars are not wanted out back by them at all.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote