Thread: towing
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014, 06:48 PM   #26
a-total-tool

Default Re: towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
you would think a GT would be far better for towing than than the lower spec models,
the GT has.......
better brakes
firmer suspension
more mass,
more power
enhanced comfort for less fatigue
the only things i could see going by these posts is possibly suitable load rated tyres and rims for extra load and an appropriate tow bar,
and perhaps some heavier slightly taller springs on the back for sag, and a tranny cooler.
it might be worthwhile to have a chat with a knowledgeable dude at the rta and see what he says.
It has different suspension. It may be firmer but it will also be lower. Load them up with the extra 150-200kg that such a trailer would put on the back of the car and there will be a difference.

As mentioned before, if towing something that heavy on a regular basis, I would suggest a more appropriate tow rig.

My Grandmother and her partner have a caravan that weighs 1.9t. He has a FG G6, with the 2300kg towbar and the weight distribution hitch. They say while the ford can tow it, they can really feel the caravan on the back of the car, expecially when the winds pick up. Her Hyundai Terracan has less power but feels a lot more sturdy with the massive weight on the back of it.
a-total-tool is offline   Reply With Quote