View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #51
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Here is a very good article with very good pictures on the inner workings of both pedals.

Why Toyota Must Replace Flawed CTS Gas Pedal With Superior Denso Pedal
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/why...r-denso-pedal/

There is WAY too much to copy and paste here. Also there are many excellent pictures and some diagrams you need to see. Here is a scathing comment in the article....

Quote:
We are calling on Toyota to replace all CTS-friction arm type gas pedal assemblies with either the Denso unit, or another proven design that lives up to Toyota’s legendary quality and the longevity expectations of its loyal owners. “Propping up” an intrinsically inferior and historically-proven inferior design with a piece of metal stamping is not going to restore Toyota’s tarnished reputation. The two units are interchangeable; Toyota should do the right thing and switch production over, and insist on replacing all the CTS-type units even after they have had their temporary fix. A Band-Aid will stop the hemorrhaging for the moment, but nothing less than a transplant will do for the long haul.

One thing the author fails to realize is that Toyota does not have over 2 million of these pedals to put into the cars in the US, not to mention the 8 million world wide. It would take a while to produce all these pedals. This is a logistics element that Toyota has to swallow.

I further predict that while the repairs are being made to over 2 million cars in the US, people who's pedal will have already been "fixed" will still experience the run-away acceleration that can occur while idling, or the sudden acceleration that can occur while maintaining cruising speed. This will point out the still existant root cause of these conditions which will NOT be a result of the pedal "sticking", but rather an electical issue that has yet to be discussed in public, or to the NHTSA. That will be a PR disaster for Toyota.

We'll see.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote