View Single Post
Old 01-07-2021, 08:39 PM   #4
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: XR4 Cold Air Intake

If I want to enclose the box, it will need to be in a fixed location, which means I'm going to need an induction tube solution that can accomodate a lot of movement. I spent a bit of time trawling some websites to see what options I had. The two that look like they might be useful are the 80mm long 70mm to 70mm hose hose from a lexus ES300, or the 100mm long 80mm to 700mm hose from a Nissan Maxima.

Lexus ES300 Intake Hose (Image shows a DAYCO part number)

Nissan Maxima Intake Hose (Also a DAYCO part number)

Both of those parts appear to have $8 options on Aliexpress, so for the purpose of testing and sizing, I bought both from there.

I was also after a 70mm pod filter, and while I can continue to work with the offset K&N filter we have, I had a look also at Aliexpress, and found a 70mm pod airfilter non-offset for small dollars as well, so have ordered that.

https://www.aliexpress.com/af/70mm-R...20210701013506

So other than the 'wide mouth' intake, the intention is to:

(1) Create a lower box with sealed edge and clip faces.

(2) Create an upper box that does the following:
(a) Adapts to the over-the-cross-beam intake.
(b) Mounts the Pod Filter
(c) Adapts to one of the selected Intake Tubes
(d) Has a rear outlet for the Head breather line
(e) Has clip faces and a sealed surface to seal to the lower half of the box.

We could optionally have a lower tube for routing to the lower grille, and I could make a proper 3d print contoured adapter for that. We'll see.

When parts start to arrive, we'll see how much progress I could make on such a system.

In the meantime, back to making progress on the climate control and MTX75 mounts.....

Lukeyson