View Single Post
Old 23-02-2021, 08:07 PM   #51
5thFordWA

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Cars you could own now and will be laughing in 20 years with

Most of the talk above is about Falcon type vehicles, and what they might be worth in 20 years.

I read an article a few years ago and it really made me think. It was saying the wealthy middle-aged businessman paying oodles for the 1971 GTHO is really buying his teenage dream car, now he can afford it.

But the question was what will today's teens and twenties want in 20 years time, what is their dream car now?
The suggested answer was the younger gen hardly know what a GT Falcon is, let alone want one. Their dreams are all about high performance turbos, Japanese probably, and listing cars like WRX, Nissan, Mitsubishi EVOs, etc. And for a lot of that gen they don't have the money to buy one now, or maybe raising the family is coming first (as it was for most of us), and one day they will find they have some spare cash and lust after a restored WRX or EVO, and pay big money for it.

Mind you, there are plenty of these on the road, and not so many special low production models like the GTHO, but there were plenty of GTs on the road when I was 20 too (50 years ago).

Anyway, the article was good for me, I walked out to the back carport and started up my 2004 Subi WRX (Petter Solberg Special Edition), in absolutely original trim, no mods, even has the original exhaust system, no engine chip, classic Subaru Blue and in pristine body condition. I bought it off my son when it was 10 years old, no body damage, no major mechanical repairs, currently on 150k kms. When I bought it I joined the WRX club, and the first question was what mods has it got? When I said none, and it's not getting any, the club guys laughingly said it will end up being the only WRX around that hasn't been modified - it's like a disease with these guys - they have to modify. Well, if it's the only original one around, I'm not going to complain when I go to sell it, although I'll probably leave it back to my son in the end. I didn't buy it as an investment, I bought it because I love driving it, and when I retired I was going to restore a fairly recent sports car or something, and when the WRX was available I grabbed it. So far it's worth about 2/3 what I paid for it, but who knows in 20 years time, my grandson certainly has his eye on it!

IMO, that's the type of car which will regain value before the next wave which will be Electrics.

Oh, that I still had the 289 XR in my possession!

Just dreaming, eh?

Cheers.
2016 SZ Territory TX 4.0 Petrol (6th & last?)(Sadly, written off)
2004 WRX (Retirement Toy)

Last edited by 5thFordWA; 23-02-2021 at 08:22 PM.
5thFordWA is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: