View Single Post
Old 15-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #52
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: Fuel Consumption on your Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steambao
So, my first post on this forum was regarding high fuel consumption. 10 Months later I can say there is definitely something wrong with my car!!

Fuel consumption went good after removing restrictive air box, but soon after installing my exhaust I got a huge loss in torque. A while later car had trouble starting and ran really rough at low revs. Cleared up a bit, but then fuel consumption went terrible.

Got a OBD Scan tool today, and fuel trim is +33%.

Driving style: 25% City : 75% Urban
Fuel Consumption: 13 L / 100km
Total KM's on the clock: ~ 86,500 km

One tank does ~ 400km (All low traffic Urban driving).
Ford Focus 2007 LS
From what I could find it would appear that there are a number of possible causes for your excessive fuel usage, listed below are some of the main reasons, I would also add fuel injectors to that list as another possible cause.
Details below are taken from an online website -

Excessive fuel consumption most likely cause is due to an external sensor:

Things to check are:

1. Coolant Temperature Sensor
If the coolant temperature sensor connections are corroded, or the sensor is defective, the ECU will believe that the engine temperature is lower than normal and will increase enrichment. May not necessarily error code.

2. Throttle Position Sensor
Is the TPS working correctly ?

3. Oxygen Sensors
Are the oxygen sensors operating correctly ? A defective oxygen sensor will cause excessive fuel consumption...a slow sensor will not necessarily set a code. This is one of the most common causes of excessive fuel consumption.

4. Fuel Pressure regulator
Check the operation of the fuel pressure regulator....ensure that it is receiving vacuum...sometimes the solenoid controlling vacuum fails, resulting in richer mixtures during light load.

5. Fuel leak (even minor)
Check all hoses for any seapage and tighten all hose clamps.

Hope you get it sorted soon
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote