Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 19-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #255
kocho
The Futuriser

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Sounds like you were gripping the bars for dear life kocho? lol. Hence the hand numbness. But good effort to do 60ks in that time frame. A good and steady pace.

A new event has just opened for March next year here in SA for anyone willing to participate. http://www.bikesa.asn.au/VeloAdelaide
I did a bit on the downhills blueoval but I'm still getting numb hands even when it's flat and I'm going for a easy ride. I want to improve my upper body strength and change my saddle position slightly. Just to correct you, I did 100k's but the max I had done before Sunday's ride was 60k's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
Good work mate!..Your confidence will always be on the increase the more time you spend on the saddle. I heard there were some shocking headwinds for the group doing the MQSM route...

I didn't do it.. I had a really bad experience 4 years ago travelling in a bunch sitting on 45k between Geelong and Queenscliff when a 2nd bunch overtook us only to have the leader of their bunch clip the leader of my bunch. Results were riders with broken bones and one of them ended up with a collapsed lung and broken ribs.. I was lucky as I was towards the end of the bunch as I had just finished my turn up at the front, but somehow managed to open up the webbing in my hand between my index finger and middle finger!! Took me half an hour to stop the bleeding. But after that I hit the wall big time and really struggled (adrenaline of the crash and the pain in my hand)....
Thanks! Yeah, I agree. Completing the ride has given me more confidence in riding distances. I can't wait to go on the bike this weekend and punch out a good 50k ride. I hadn't done much / any hill climbing before Sunday so even though they werent huge climbs, I'm still happy I got through them unaffected.

Yep, I heard about the headwinds too. Mainly just by looking on forums and people said what their experiences were of the day. Especially on the Melbourne to Geelong road where it's really open and you have no protection from the wind.

It's a shame about your accident. I'm glad I havent experienced something like that... yet. I'd do my confidence no good as I'm sure it didn't do yours any good either. A few people have complained about accidents on ATB but from what I saw (probably 'cause I was mid pack), things weren't too bad - ie not ultra competitive and not first time cyclists.

Hopefully you go in it again one year because I think it's quite a good ride. Looking forward to next year with hopefully a bit more confidence in my own abilities.

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote