View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 04:03 PM   #24
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Why some change cars early

I look at this from a totally different approach that most would. It's been years since I owned a new car or truck and vowed I would never buy another. I know this wouldn't apply to quite a few here....

Given the old school business I'm in and try to promote and given the word of mouth about what I do, I like to buy older trucks which makes financial sense (for me) due to the fact I can maintain, fix any mechanical issues myself with plenty of parts still available.
Accountant keeps telling me I should buy new and offset my tax deductions bah bah bah..... problem is he doesn't live in the real world, where most will see my old well maintained trucks getting around still earning their keep attracting attention and attracting business.
I get a lot of enquiries based on.. "Oh, I saw your lovely old truck"

Most of my vehicles are now 25+ years old. The last truck (bought as a parts truck) I acquired 3 years ago was a registered 30 year old $1500 gumtree special I spent a further $3000 bringing it up to scratch but it has paid for itself 30-40 times over from work and has been a rolling advertisement.
Even the Falcon Panel van I acquired last year as a cheap fill in is starting to draw attention (not from the cops) and turn a profit due to the amount of work it been sharing with the trucks.
This was a vehicle I never intended to keep.

I mentioned this on another topic here, as I can see why the younger Hipster crowd are more interested with an older small commercial vehicle as it is great promotional advertising for the type of "Handmade" businesses they are now creating for themselves.

New cars / trucks every 2 3 years doesn't appeal to me but I wouldn't begrudge anyone who does it.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: