View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 06:00 PM   #13
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I'm not sure if that’s correct either! I understand 5.1 to mean left, right, front, back and the fifth being the centre or 'voice' channel. .1 is the low frequency or sub bass outlet.

If the Mondeo had 8 speakers with bass, midrange and tweeters Ford would advertise the system as a 24 speaker system which naturally is ridiculous but it’s effectively what they do now when they advertise splits as being 2 speakers. Home theater systems don’t count individual speaker components like that!! A quality 5.1 home system has the main fronts which can usually house 2 main drivers, 2 mids and a tweeter or horn. Than the rears which are normally a mid and a tweeter, than there’s a sub and a voice or centre speaker which could house up to 5 separate speaker cones, if they (home theater manufacturers) followed the same logic as the car manufacturers they would be advertising a the system described above as a 20 speaker sound system!!! People would naturally expect to see 20 speakers so how would you react if you got it home and there were only 6!! I think you would feel cheated or at the very least be of the opinion that they the advertisement was misleading!
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote