View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 10:34 PM   #6
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Default Re: WZ Fiesta light bar

More notes as they come to mind...

The M10 nutserts (aka 'rivnuts') are available in aluminium, mild steel with a zinc coating and stainless.

I wanted stainless as they are going to get wet, really wet (I live in regional Victoria).

Stainless are difficult to install in the Fiesta because they are really hard compared to mild steel and especially aluminium, plus as I mentioned above you need come come in at a right angle.

I found it hard to justify buying a right-angle tool capable of setting M10 stainless nutserts for only two nutserts...so I researched on Youtube.

Have a look at this:

Note he says:

Quote:
This video shows how to properly tighten a rivet nut without the dedicated tool for the job. It's particularly useful for tight spaces but be ready to sweat a lot if you decide to use steel rivnuts. The ones shown in the video are all made of aluminium for a reason: as Brian Day pointed out in the comments Steel rivnuts are almost impossible to be "hand" tightened!
They are a complete and utter bastard to install like this and for this reason buy more than two as it's guaranteed you'll stuff up the first one.

...having said that it is definitely not impossible as that is how I installed mine (I used bigger spanners and swore a lot).
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote